Fly Tipping Problems

Take a step back tho...

Before all this "recycling" rhetoric, people just took their rubbish to a "dumpit site" or whatever and that was the end of the matter, they recycled it anyway and made good money doing so!

Now it's like a kangeroo court just to get rid of a bit of rubbish from your loft.

Do you actually LIKE having to spend ages sorting out your rubbish, just to save these companies money?

I don't!

And even earlier, people kept the same furniture, bedding and curtains for much longer. They were usually only discarded when worn out. Wooden frames were broken up and used as firewood, or saved for Bonfire night. Food came fresh, with little packaging. We burnt old newspapers on open fires, took glass bottles back to shops for a refund, and there was usually someone who wanted glass jars to fill with their home made chutney or jam. I lived in a block of eight flats as a kid, with four shared dustbins. They were rarely filled. We recycled without knowing we were doing it!

As we have become a more consumerist society, so we have far more packaging to dispose of. Especially when we buy from Amazon! Isn't it then reasonable to take responsibility for our own rubbish? Last time we replaced a carpet, we cut up the old one and put it, a bit at a time, in our black bin. No cost, very little effort. Charity shops will take most items, a little bit of effort on the phone and they'll even collect.

And even earlier, people kept the same furniture, bedding and curtains for much longer. They were usually only discarded when worn out. Wooden frames were broken up and used as firewood, or saved for Bonfire night. Food came fresh, with little packaging. We burnt old newspapers on open fires, took glass bottles back to shops for a refund, and there was usually someone who wanted glass jars to fill with their home made chutney or jam. I lived in a block of eight flats as a kid, with four shared dustbins. They were rarely filled. We recycled without knowing we were doing it!

As we have become a more consumerist society, so we have far more packaging to dispose of. Especially when we buy from Amazon! Isn't it then reasonable to take responsibility for our own rubbish? Last time we replaced a carpet, we cut up the old one and put it, a bit at a time, in our black bin. No cost, very little effort. Charity shops will take most items, a little bit of effort on the phone and they'll even collect.

Good post this. Good points well made. The consumerist society we "enjoy" today, where everything is relatively cheap, has a human cost somewhere. I want a return to the world you describe in your first paragraph. I want things to be made in this country, yes the price will reflect that, but it will force us to buy more wisely and cherish the item.

Edited by Guest

I`ve just driven along Stubbing House Lane and I have to say it was a deeply depressing experience. It`s got to be just about the worst blackspot for fly tipping in Sheffield. As I proceeded along the road there was a bin liner full of rubbish every 50 to 100 yards and they all looked as if they`d just been dumped there. Obviously there`s no excuse for the scumbags who dropped it, but what are the Council doing to stop it ? Surely they should be putting hidden CCTV along there, and/or putting big efforts into tracing the scum by examining the litter they`ve left ? OK it`d cost money, but how much money does it cost them having to clear all the fly tipping away ? Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

Added 30 Mar 17

Article in The Times :

Some councils in England have issued no fixed penalty fines to flytippers in spite of an epidemic which costs local authorities £49.8 million to clear up.

Sunderland, Derby Nottingham & Coventry have issued no penalties, by contrast Brighton issued 105 earning £21,000.

Does anyone know how many penalties Sheffield City Council have issued ?

Edited by Justin Smith

I`ve just driven along Stubbing House Lane and I have to say it was a deeply depressing experience. It`s got to be just about the worst blackspot for fly tipping in Sheffield. As I proceeded along the road there was a bin liner full of rubbish every 50 to 100 yards and they all looked as if they`d just been dumped there. Obviously there`s no excuse for the scumbags who dropped it, but what are the Council doing to stop it ? Surely they should be putting hidden CCTV along there, and/or putting big efforts into tracing the scum by examining the litter they`ve left ? OK it`d cost money, but how much money does it cost them having to clear all the fly tipping away ? Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

Pssst! They haven't got any.

The council created this mess due to their moronic decision to stop vans using the dump it sites. This issue didnt exist before they put barriers on the tips. It cots the council a great deal more to clean up fly tipping than it does to let big vans get rid of tgheir rubbish in the dump it sites. Its false economy.

The council have no one to blame but themselves .

The council created this mess due to their moronic decision to stop vans using the dump it sites. This issue didnt exist before they put barriers on the tips. It cots the council a great deal more to clean up fly tipping than it does to let big vans get rid of tgheir rubbish in the dump it sites. Its false economy.

Now now Tone, stop peddling the same misinformation. Vans can obtain 12 vouchers a year allowing them FREE entry to recycling centres.

There are some exceptions to the type of van but generally it takes a little bit of intelligence and time to obtain these vouchers.

They have the lazy, slack bladders that dump the rubbish to blame. Alternatives are available. Dumping it, especially in the countryside, is a disgrace.

You've obviously not been round Darnall recently :suspect:

or Page hall

I dont condone tipping but do find the council is pushing people towards it with there silly rules and all geared towards people paying but in the long run it back fires with fly tipping which the council ends up clearing paying for !

Now now Tone, stop peddling the same misinformation. Vans can obtain 12 vouchers a year allowing them FREE entry to recycling centres.

There are some exceptions to the type of van but generally it takes a little bit of intelligence and time to obtain these vouchers.

Long wheelbase vans cannot use the dumps under any circumstances.

What is the cost of a licence/permit for trade waste?