Fly Tipping Problems

35 minutes ago, MunXy said:

Maybe free because council tenants pay the council via rents etc and the waste disposal, run by third parties is usually paid from council budgets.

as for social housing equates to low income, I didn't make that distinction just mentioned some people no matter their housing can barely afford second hand furniture so paying for removal of old furniture maybe out of their budget.

As do I, as a private  homeowner, via council tax.

Many of us are using the time in lockdown to save money (no pubs, meals out etc) for when the lockdown ends and we can buy now items (furniture, etc etc).  We're also planning to get rid of stuff to create space. 

• I doubt whether much of what I plan to dispose of is good enough for charities, and in any case, most are closed.
  • I'd planned a series of trips to my local tip, but staffing shortages, reduced opening hours, queues, reports of police handing out fines to people queuing to get in and other grief has put me off that. 
  • I care too much about the environment to go fly-tipping. 
  • If I used people who advertise waste-disposal services, how do I know they are not fly-tipping when faced with the problems I have with local tips?

Do the local politicians care where all this stuff goes?  Can they not see that fly-tipping is expensive to the council as well as on the increase because of problems at Council run recycling centres?

Dear politicians, please open the tips for longer and make them more welcoming! 

18 hours ago, MunXy said:

Maybe free because council tenants pay the council via rents etc and the waste disposal, run by third parties is usually paid from council budgets.

as for social housing equates to low income, I didn't make that distinction just mentioned some people no matter their housing can barely afford second hand furniture so paying for removal of old furniture maybe out of their budget.

What an absurd and utterly incorrect statement to make. 

Rent is just that.  A payment for the privilege of residing in the property. That payment does not mean they should be able to access additional services for free because of whom that rent is paid to.

16 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Dear politicians, please open the tips for longer and make them more welcoming! 

My local tip is open 0930-1830 with last admission on to site at 1815. 

That's 9 hours of operation. Just how long do you want them open?

20 minutes ago, Resident said:

What an absurd and utterly incorrect statement to make. 

Rent is just that.  A payment for the privilege of residing in the property. That payment does not mean they should be able to access additional services for free because of whom that rent is paid to.

“3. Sheffield Housing Service and Housing Association Tenants

If you are a tenant of Sheffield City Council/Sheffield Housing Services, (maximum 12 items one collection annually), or in other rented accommodation, Pennine, (unlimited collections),  Acis (maximum 9 items one collection annually) there is no charge* for the removal of your household bulky waste. The cost of the service is paid for through your rent payment”

From...  https://www.veolia.co.uk/sheffield/collections/bulky-item-collection-service

3 hours ago, Resident said:

My local tip is open 0930-1830 with last admission on to site at 1815. 

That's 9 hours of operation. Just how long do you want them open?

Of the 5 HWRCs in Sheffield, only one is open 7 days per week.
2 close one day per week and 2 close 2 days per week.

Room for more hours there.

Edited by enntee

58 minutes ago, enntee said:

Of the 5 HWRCs in Sheffield, only one is open 7 days per week.
2 close one day per week and 2 close 2 days per week.

Room for more hours there.

So staff that work at these places aren't entitled to a day off? Because you can't plan your own errands to work around the published scheduled opening hours? 

At least ones of those closed days there will be staff there to allow the HGVs that swap the full containers for empty ones.

But lest I forget, Amongst Sheffielders the entitlement is strong, everything must be free and everything must be immediately available the second it's wanted else it's not good enough for a resident of Sheffield!

1 minute ago, Resident said:

So staff that work at these places aren't entitled to a day off? Because you can't plan your own errands to work around the published scheduled opening hours? 

At least ones of those closed days there will be staff there to allow the HGVs that swap the full containers for empty ones.

But lest I forget, Amongst Sheffielders the entitlement is strong, everything must be free and everything must be immediately available the second it's wanted else it's not good enough for a resident of Sheffield!

Never a truer word, Resident, but you'll get hammered for daring to point it out.

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Never a truer word, Resident, but you'll get hammered for daring to point it out.

Indeed. The point is though, it's true. 

These people who dose this mess it up for the hard working waste carriers like me who pay for licences now it's getting harder and harder to get people to trust that we are not just going to dump it down some lane some were  

3 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Indeed. The point is though, it's true. 

Except that it isn't. 

The staff are entitled to decent working conditions.

The contractors, Veolia, that are overpaid from our taxes, should be employing and organising enough to provide a disposal service that meets our needs.

7 days per week would be a good start.

31 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

See, I told you, @Resident😉

.... and?

Veolia (or their succesor) take our money for an inadequate service as seemingly agreed by our council.

You seem incapable of seeing how it can be run better?

Wow!