Fly Tipping Problems

The remains of a cannabis factory was dragged out of the River Porter in the Mayfield Valley by volunteers earlier in the week and later removed by SCC.

1cb2525a6896e2c41f9088893599dc4dc15ae7a0 

Went for a walk today about midday came back to the car to see a van load of fir tree dumped by a busy road. 99% sure a local company dumped it after seeing a transit like pickup speed off from the site and the driver covering his face.  Great to see they expect others to clean it up and  don't give a <removed> and obviously feel there's no enforcement to be so blatant to do it in loudly of the day.  

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing

years ago a say furniture company ,would remove the old bed or 3 piece suite or  wardrobe ect,free and take it to the tip and it was free,now you cannot do it,so it encourages fly tipping by rogue traders,my way of thinking is this furniture traders,who remove from rate payers houses the old suite ,mattress ect,should be allowed to tip free of charge,as they are only taking a rate payers old goods for disposal,this would greatly help cut down,fly tipping,it would cost veola more,but the ratepayers have already paid,

A simple remedy at known illegal dumping sites is to install a good quality cctv system or just a well lit sign  saying so, plus heavy fines would pay for it in a short time, double win situation.

Edited by choogling

1 hour ago, choogling said:

A simple remedy at known illegal dumping sites is to install a good quality cctv system or just a well lit sign  saying so, plus heavy fines would pay for it in a short time, double win situation.

The vehicle they used should also be siezed and crushed. 

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

years ago a say furniture company ,would remove the old bed or 3 piece suite or  wardrobe ect,free and take it to the tip and it was free,now you cannot do it,so it encourages fly tipping by rogue traders,my way of thinking is this furniture traders,who remove from rate payers houses the old suite ,mattress ect,should be allowed to tip free of charge,as they are only taking a rate payers old goods for disposal,this would greatly help cut down,fly tipping,it would cost veola more,but the ratepayers have already paid,

The Sheffield incinerator would surely be the best place for it, its a shame that they dont accept waste that will burn for free.

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

Not sure council tax is intended to cover furniture removal. If you can afford some new furniture, you can afford to pay for correct disposal of the old.

The real problem is not taking responsibility. You bought it, you pay for it to be disposed if properly. Ask to see the license of any removal company. If its cheap, its cheap for a reason.

Edited by Bargepole23

Fly tipping is a real problem, compounded more now due to recycle site restrictions and the massive queues, e.g. Normal households don't want to wait 1-2 hours to dump a few items or even a car full, so pay cheap and unscrupulous traders that don't want to pay for licensing etc so fly tip.

a simple solution would be local councils drop large skips around the city, then empty when full, cost of course would be railed against but several plus points including extra jobs created, less fly tipping which the councils regularly have to pick up any way.

as for large items, the council run a large items pick up service, cheaper than some services.

free for council tenants.

less queues at the recycle sites.

someone mentioned "you bought it, you pay for its removal " a little cynical I think, there are people that have to save many months just to buy such as charity shop furniture so would have difficulty paying for removal of any old furniture being replaced i.e. Elderly or disabled. 

11 minutes ago, MunXy said:

Fly tipping is a real problem, compounded more now due to recycle site restrictions and the massive queues, e.g. Normal households don't want to wait 1-2 hours to dump a few items or even a car full, so pay cheap and unscrupulous traders that don't want to pay for licensing etc so fly tip.

a simple solution would be local councils drop large skips around the city, then empty when full, cost of course would be railed against but several plus points including extra jobs created, less fly tipping which the councils regularly have to pick up any way.

as for large items, the council run a large items pick up service, cheaper than some services.

free for council tenants.

less queues at the recycle sites.

someone mentioned "you bought it, you pay for its removal " a little cynical I think, there are people that have to save many months just to buy such as charity shop furniture so would have difficulty paying for removal of any old furniture being replaced i.e. Elderly or disabled. 

Why free for just council tenants?

Why are they special? Not everyone in social housing is on a low income. 

Councils run a large item removal service already at a cost, which I believe is discounted for recipients of certain benefits. It's not cynical to expect people to be responsible for their own waste and to consider how they are going to dispose of the old when purchasing replacements. 

Pre-covid I never waited more than 5-10 minutes to get into a recycling centre. During covid I suspect a lot of the journeys to recycling centres could have waited but were just an excuse for time out of the house. 

Most of the restrictions are to stop commercial or hazardous waste. 

As for the large skips. It used to be done however one of the reasons they were stopped was because it got to a point where they were being filled with commercial waste from trades who simply didn't want to pay their dues. This meant that the space couldn't be used by it's intended audience. 

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Councils run a large item removal service already at a cost, which I believe is discounted for recipients of certain benefits. It's not cynical to expect people to be responsible for their own waste and to consider how they are going to dispose of the old when purchasing replacements. 

Pre-covid I never waited more than 5-10 minutes to get into a recycling centre. During covid I suspect a lot of the journeys to recycling centres could have waited but were just an excuse for time out of the house. 

Most of the restrictions are to stop commercial or hazardous waste. 

As for the large skips. It used to be done however one of the reasons they were stopped was because it got to a point where they were being filled with commercial waste from trades who simply didn't want to pay their dues. This meant that the space couldn't be used by it's intended audience. 

^ Agreed.

On 20/03/2021 at 23:52, Victor Meldrew said:

The remains of a cannabis factory was dragged out of the River Porter in the Mayfield Valley by volunteers earlier in the week and later removed by SCC.

1cb2525a6896e2c41f9088893599dc4dc15ae7a0 

This is so sad. I really wish the idiots that fly tipped at very, very least didn’t try to conceal - badly - their fly tipping down steep banks, into rivers etc where it’s difficult to be picked up and causes more harm to the environment. Obviously there is no excuse for fly tipping but it’s even worse when they do this.

Litter is the same. Litterers tend to have the same mindset and tend to chuck their rubbish where they think it won’t be seen, over a wall, behind bushes etc like that makes it ok🤬

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Maybe free because council tenants pay the council via rents etc and the waste disposal, run by third parties is usually paid from council budgets.

as for social housing equates to low income, I didn't make that distinction just mentioned some people no matter their housing can barely afford second hand furniture so paying for removal of old furniture maybe out of their budget.