Low frequency humming noise middle of the night - hillsborough

Is it possible that you have developed Tinnitus? It tends to be worse at night when it is quiet.

I thought tinnitus was a high pitched noise?

Depends really, but usually it is. I have both high-pitched and distant humming (although that is still a pretty high pitch I think).

I would say this is close to what it sounded like

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 13:31 ----------

Is it possible that you have developed Tinnitus? It tends to be worse at night when it is quiet.

No I haven't got tinnitus, I wake up a lot in the night but have only heard this twice. last night was almost unbearable but its not my ears.

There's a few factories around so it could be coming from one of them.. I believe Bassetts is responsible for some folks sleepless nights.. could be them if you say its close to the park.

Indeed. There may be all sorts of reasons.

OH very quick :hihi::hihi::hihi::banana::banana::banana::clap::clap::clap:

OH very quick :hihi::hihi::hihi::banana::banana::banana::clap::clap::clap:

haha i missed that!

Its not inside my house, its coming from outside

Hi DaisyBoo from 1943 until 1962 from an infant to my 20s I lived with my family on the bend at the bottom of Liversey Street behind where the Sheffield College is now!.My brothers and my bedroom was 500yards away from a continuous running cooling tower from the Neepsend Power Station,in the summer the bedroom windows were wide open!.We never were kept awake at all we were that accustomed to the noise of the water cascading down,one night a mate stayed over and he was awake all night,next morning he looked like a bulldog due to lack of sleep!.

Tinnitus is not just high pitched noise. A friend of mine has musical Tinnitus. My own experience of the condition was similar to the OP's description. I initially thought the noise was due to a car engine running but I eventually realised that it was Tinnitus. The condition can come and go with no apparent reason.

BTW Tinnitus is not necessarily connected with hearing loss - it can occur in people with normal hearing. However, it is useful to have the ears examined as wax can exacerbate the problem.

Edited by Jomie

Depends really, but usually it is. I have both high-pitched and distant humming (although that is still a pretty high pitch I think).

I've heard tinnitus is an absolute nightmare to love with!! I feel for you Tim :)

I've heard tinnitus is an absolute nightmare to love with!! I feel for you Tim :)

The loving is absolutely fine ;)

I started getting it in my late teens/early 20s. Like every other clubhead/metal lover/festival goer at the time I just ignored my dad's frequent warnings for hearing damage.

I have a mild form, but rather persistent. It is especially annoying at night when trying to sleep (especially when thinking/worrying about something) but it also affects my hearing in certain situations when there is a lot of background noise.

All in all, the sleeping is annoying, not hearing the latest gossip on Corrie in the bus or hearing mysterious low frequency hums at night instead is pretty nice ;)

It's probably the pylons at Wardsend Cemetery, magnified by the high weather pressure.

Wander over there and see if it's the same noise when you are closer to them