Charity shops, is it a business

Of course they are there to raise money.

They also have a duty to the person who donated the items to get a fair price and for that money to go towards the cause that the donor wanted to support.

Surely the whole point of buying from a charity shop in these modern times is no longer just taking advantage of an abudence of low cost items but more choosing to give donation money to support the charity's cause.

No, the OP title asks if its a business, and yes it is. They rent the shop, organise the stock, label it and have people run it. That all costs money and time and if people get caught ripping them off then they should be dealt with appropriately, and in this particular case actually banned from the shop.

I recently bought a very good quality/condition "goretex" style coat from St.Lukes for £10 because it was cheap, a bargain and not just because it was for a charitable cause. I often visit different charity shops but it is to get a bargain with the addition that it supports a charity not the other way round. I help these charities by donating stuff I don't want for them to sell on.

Edited by apelike
Wrong charity

The wages of the top person on the big charities are massive,I think I read somewhere one paid himself 147k a year.

But he is a good cause, wow it just shows you how people see it different to you, not that you are wrong and i am right, i just cant view it in that way

What if the charity shop in question raised money for cancer patients as opposed to the homeless? Would it still be ok for him to start switching the price tags around.

There are places that homeless people can attend for support (ie The Archer Project) without resorting to dishonest tactics.

Just my opinion though. :)

The wages of the top person on the big charities are massive,I think I read somewhere one paid himself 147k a year.

I suppose you think that the leadership of a a national organisation employing thousands of staff and dealing with millions in finances can be dealt with voluntary by Mavis popping in a couple of mornings a week.

Big charities need staff. Those staff need management. Those management need a chief executive.

YES, Execs get a massive salary compared to most people but for that type of job in that size of organisation its average at best. In fact compared to most executives its pocket change.

What exactly would you deem to be a fair salary for a national charity executive?

Interestingly, from a recent report, many of the famous names are not even reaching the top 100 list of the highest paid Charity CEOs

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2017-highest-earners/special-report/article/1427306

Not really that much of a disgrace as people seem to constantly make out.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I agree with the OP up to a point, but if this person is known to 'do it on a regular basis' I wonder how genuine he is. Is he really homeless? How many clothes can one person wear?

Where does he keep all the clothes he's buying? Is he selling them on?

Having said all that, a lot of charity shops have hiked up their prices. Great for the charities they support, but not so good for people who are in need of cheap clothing.

More to this than meets the eye....

I totally agree with everything you've said.

I suppose you think that the leadership of a a national organisation employing thousands of staff and dealing with millions in finances can be dealt with voluntary by Mavis popping in a couple of mornings a week.

Big charities need staff. Those staff need management. Those management need a chief executive.

YES, Execs get a massive salary compared to most people but for that type of job in that size of organisation its average at best. In fact compared to most executives its pocket change.

What exactly would you deem to be a fair salary for a national charity executive?

Interestingly, from a recent report, many of the famous names are not even reaching the top 100 list of the highest paid Charity CEOs

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2017-highest-earners/special-report/article/1427306

Does it need to be £174k? Really? Our PM is on about £100K and they can start a nuclear war. If you really want to be earning £174k maybe dont work for a charity?

Does it need to be £174k? Really? Our PM is on about £100K and they can start a nuclear war. If you really want to be earning £174k maybe dont work for a charity?

It does seem like an exceedingly large amount.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

The only reason CEOs are on such huge salaries is because they have been allowed to decide their own pay packages for years. It's nothing to do with ability or responsibility, just their own greed. They aren't even particularly good at what they do; if they were, we would have a great deal more productivity and less opportunism.

What if the charity shop in question raised money for cancer patients as opposed to the homeless? Would it still be ok for him to start switching the price tags around.

There are places that homeless people can attend for support (ie The Archer Project) without resorting to dishonest tactics.

Just my opinion though. :)

I agree. The Archer project helps homeless people with clothes, shoes, toiletries etc. I think the genuinely homeless in Sheffield are usually aware of it.

The only reason CEOs are on such huge salaries is because they have been allowed to decide their own pay packages for years. It's nothing to do with ability or responsibility, just their own greed. They aren't even particularly good at what they do; if they were, we would have a great deal more productivity and less opportunism.

I work in the sector. I don't know one CEO that sets their own salary. The board of trustees set these salaries together with the senior management teams.

So what would you prefer - a CEO on £30k that generates £90k income through fundraising or one on £147k that generates £2.1m per year for good causes? Certainly at my place we get paid on results otherwise it's redundancies or salary cuts

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quotes

I work in the sector. I don't know one CEO that sets their own salary. The board of trustees set these salaries together with the senior management teams.

So what would you prefer - a CEO on £30k that generates £90k income through fundraising or one on £147k that generates £2.1m per year for good causes? Certainly at my place we get paid on results otherwise it's redundancies or salary cuts

The people who work in charity shops, in the main, do it for sod all. If they all though "I want to do it for the money" theyd all be working in asda and charities would crumble.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes