Endoscopy with or without sedation

Sedation. I had it and it turned a scary (in my mind) experience into nothing at all... Just floated through it.

I've had it done three times with just the spray, the first was scary, the second and third was breeze as knew what it was like, on the third they took a biopsy off my lung which felt as though they were pulling every hair out of my nose, but that was the op. not the procedure.

No it doesn't sedate you they just numb your throat and put a camera down your throat.

Had the spray and it was fine, could also view it at the same time and listen to the surgeons remarks.

I had the spray, it’s a few years ago now. It wasn’t to bad. I felt as though I had a mouthful of sawdust after they took the camera out. You can’t eat or drink for a few hours after the spray, but it could be different now.

My wife as had the camera down today. She had sedation and she is feeling sick and dizzy. Will not let her home until doctor has seen her. Waiting for a call to collect her!

I had one with the throat spray and I was constantly gagging, I also instinctively pulled the camera out and I got told off.

I've had it done 3 times with just the spray. I would say if you are the laid-back stoical type then go with this but if you are the nervous type then go with sedation. Either way hope it goes well:)

I'm probably the most laid back person in the world but an endoscopy is really uncomfortable and unnatural so unless you need to go somewhere straight after I'd take the sedative.

They sprayed something to numb my throat in 2015. I was in hospital for 6 days would have only been 4 if I signed the consent form but I didn't straight away.

I was crapping myself but a nurse at Northern General reassured me. I signed the form and the endoscopy lasted 2 whole minutes.

When I had my endoscopy I was given Midazolam and I don't remember a thing about it. So much so that it took me a little while to realise that it was all over - and that was only because I realised that I was in a different room from the one I was in before !:confused:

I would recommend Midazolam !

I had the spray about 15-20 years ago. I found the procedure uncomfortable due to the air they pumped in causing retching type noises & feelings, but nothing came up.

Whist eating my lunch at work a couple of hours later, my throat was slightly sore but not excessively so.

I do remember reading my newspaper as I was eating, and reading about a woman who had to have three weeks off work after the same procedure.

I found it worse when I had a camera up my nose as the spray removed the lining from my nostril, which left me with a burning feeling for hours after.