Endoscopy with or without sedation

Having camera down throat today and don't know best thing to do sedation or just throat spray anyone have experienced it and can give advice would be great

Sedation but try and relax your body as well.

I had sedation. Only thing was i had to stay a few hours after. I was also driven home. Not a pleasant thing but its not as bad as you may be thinking.

The spray is quick (think of it as a squirt of WD40) and you can drive home straightaway afterwards. The procedure is only slightly uncomfortable to begin with.

The spray is quick (think of it as a squirt of WD40) and you can drive home straightaway afterwards. The procedure is only slightly uncomfortable to begin with.

Trouble is the spray only freezes your throat but the sedation relaxes your whole body. If you are tense and afraid your body curls up and tightens thereby making it impossible for the Endoscopy to be carried out. I would rather spend a few hours in recovery and have it over and done with.

I just had spray. The camera went in via my nose so I was able to talk to the nurses while the camera went down and also watch it on the TV monitor. No problems and even the spray tasted nice, like pear drops.

My wife only had the spray but the procedure lasted about half an hour while the doctor tried unsuccessfully to remove a stent. My wife described the experience as horrendous.

Get the sedation, you don't want to go through that procedure without it.

Get the sedation, you don't want to go through that procedure without it.

Yes, definitely have sedation. It doesn't hurt but it is a horrible feeling (even with sedation).

Yes, definitely have sedation. It doesn't hurt but it is a horrible feeling (even with sedation).

Cheers everyone think it's sedation then either way not looking forward to it

I've had it done 3 times with just the spray. I would say if you are the laid-back stoical type then go with this but if you are the nervous type then go with sedation. Either way hope it goes well:)

My partner had one under sedation. It all went well. You have someone to accompany you to take you home.