Pigeons on The Moor

Defecating pigeons on the Moor has been an unresolved problem that has lingered for years.

An SCC spokesman said "no official complaints had been received about pigeons in the area."

What I find quite outstanding is that nothing ever gets sorted unless it makes the local press.

Does anyone from our local council ever go on walkabouts in search of things that could be improved or fixed? Does that even exist as job description?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/pigeons-on-the-moor-becoming-an-infestation-sheffield-shoppers-say-1-8818519

Edited by Puggie

While ever people sit down and eat food on The Moor we are going to get pigeons.

I walk to train station most mornings and see a woman bring a large bag of breadcrumbs to feed pigeons - she looks like the woman off Home Alone 2 when they all flock round.

Quite frankly why anyone would want to be surrounded by the 'rats of the sky' and all the associated health risks is beyond me, but if they do, get a pigeon loft.

Defecating pigeons on the Moor has been an unresolved problem that has lingered for years.

An SCC spokesman said "no official complaints had been received about pigeons in the area."

What I find quite outstanding is that nothing ever gets sorted unless it makes the local press.

Does anyone from our local council ever go on walkabouts in search of things that could be improved or fixed? Does that even exist as job description?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/pigeons-on-the-moor-becoming-an-infestation-sheffield-shoppers-say-1-8818519

These people need to see their doctor, "defecating pigeons" sounds unnantural and very painful.

Sheffield Forum: "THE COUNCIL WASTE OUR MONEY AND ARE INEFFICIENT "

Also Sheffield Forum: "Why aren't the council paying someone to wander around aimlessly looking for problems that no one has so far complained about?"

When you look for problems as in a job you create them by actively thinking fantasizing. Very different from when you observe a problem from moment to moment observation. It is better to listen to the public than order someone to start worrying on the public behalf.

"Does anyone from our local council ever go on walkabouts in search of things that could be improved or fixed? Does that even exist as job description?"

They used to be called City Center Ambassadors who, as part of their other duties, did this as part of the job discription.

An old lady who was repeatedly asked/told to stop feeding the pigeons on Fargate was eventually given a fixed penalty fine for littering. Cue outrage and indignation from all quarters for "picking on an old lady", as a result of the hoo ha the fine was cancelled by City Centre Manager and none were ever issued again.

I refer to the period of time when theAmbassadors wore blue uniform coats and were around the city centre and Winter Gardens 7 days a week.

Lol the entrance to poundland was shut yesterday because someone had dumped a load of food outside and the pigeons kept trying to enter the shop (god only knows why).

Animals are animals, they have no reason or passion or conscience. If they see food they eat it. Humans on the other hand are supposed to be a bit more clued up.

I like pigeons, mainly because they provide food for our Peregrines, but I don't sit on The Moor emptying bags of food or chucking my Greggs pasty at them. Human waste is the main cause of unwanted birds and rats. People should try and work out how bins operate.

If we pretend for a minute that the Council had money for this sort of thing, what do you think they could do that would help? Short of taking a shotgun along, which might generate some complaints, although it would be more relaxing than the 1 o'clock siren.

the lady has been feeding the pigeons for years .I was informed she does it because her father+troops were saved because of the use of carrier pigeons during the war

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 13:52 ----------

Taxman I love your response I love the Peregrines ,but I don,t mind pigeons as I grew up next door to a man who had racing pigeons ,it is a shame they,ve got out of hand tho

Sheffield Forum: "THE COUNCIL WASTE OUR MONEY AND ARE INEFFICIENT "

Also Sheffield Forum: "Why aren't the council paying someone to wander around aimlessly looking for problems that no one has so far complained about?"

I'm sure that's not what the poster meant.

They are actually talking about Councillors being in touch with the active real life of the City, and the people thereof. I sometimes wonder if councillors have any notion of what's really going on, and how people feel about it. The tree felling is a case in point.

As for the pigeons, you'll find them in every city, and I rather like them, although I admit they do cause problems.

I feel sorry for pigeons, they get such a bad rep. The other week when I saw a dead one it made me a little sad.