Jared Omara MP ..

nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

Message added by nikki-red

ANGELFIRE1-I have to admit that after watching his performance on telly this morning he does not come across as MP material. But 5 years in Westminster (unless May causes another election) at £70k a year and the " perks " adds up to a considerable ammount of brass. Hand on heart, what working class guy with Omara's ailments would throw the towel in and go back to the dole, not many I bet.

As I have said before (I think) the blame for Omara getting onto the train of plenty must fall on the, let's face it, fools who voted for him.

Angel1.

I think you have made a couple of valid points.But even the "fools" so you call them would possibly vote differently in hindsight.I am sure that Labour would do things differently had someone done their job correctly. Perhaps every one who voted for O Mara knew anything about him or his past and would have expected due diligence from Labour as it was them who put him forward. Especially in the light of all these new found ailments and challenges that seem to be now affecting him.Allowing a person with such challenges to take up such a position I think is commendable as it could have proven to a lot of business people that people with such challenges have a worth and skills to offer.Sadly this guy has probably put that thought at the back of business owners mind to the detriment of others with a disability.To remove him from all this pressure I am sure that his family could have a word and get him to do the decent thing and stand down NOW...... and retain a little pride and dignity. I did not see his interviews on Sunday.But his arrogance continues by getting air time to tell people that he is unsure of him standing again for re election . I am though somewhat surprised not to have seen any comment from his constituents,though I may have missed them.

Previous election

Lib-dem : 22,215

Lab : 19,862

Con : 7,544

Con nearly doubled their vote from previous. partially from Lib dem which gave Labour the win. Some ex LD will have voted Labour as well but the turnout was higher than previous.

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 09:31 ----------

So Jared this morning is on the news saying that if there was an election called he may not stand.

Why not just vacate the seat and force a by-election now?

or is the 70K a year too much to resist

I would say yes, it is. :suspect:

Now he is an "independent" is there any requirement for him to actually do anything? When he was under the whip i presume he would have had to vote when called upon. But now as he doesn't really answer to anyone can he just sit at home and not attend parliament or meet his constituents at all for the next couple of years?

Edited by sheffbag

Now he is an "independent" is there any requirement for him to actually do anything? When he was under the whip i presume he would have had to vote when called upon. But now as he doesn't really answer to anyone can he just sit at home and not attend parliament or meet his constituents at all for the next couple of years?

Or better still resign (Chiltern Hundreds), sit at home, and watch BBC Parliament channel.

Or better still resign (Chiltern Hundreds), sit at home, and watch BBC Parliament channel.

Good idea, he might learn something useful

Will he turn his telly down?

Pretty much. He has no whip to answer to, and as it's clear he won't stand for reelection there is no incentive to do anything except collect his pay packet. Who, exactly, is going to discipline him?

Please feel free to explain why you feel he has done an "excellent job".

He appears to have done absolutely nothing - he didn't even manage to vote on Universal Credit.

I'm intrigued as to what you feel he has been "excellent" at?

He unseated Clegg, the momentum morons are pleased at that alone.

A genuinely Independent MP would be a breath of fresh air. He isn't. It's quite sad really, a case of more ambition than ability. Even though his behaviour wasn't checked thoroughly, he must have been a convincing candidate for selection, or he possibly just ticked a box. Leaving the party came across as fairly childish IMO.

A person with a strong moral code, or even a good grip on reality would probably resign rather than let down their voters? Especially if they understood their condition was being made worse by being in a public role. And Mr Omara has said his mental health has suffered.

A genuinely Independent MP would be a breath of fresh air. He isn't. It's quite sad really, a case of more ambition than ability. Even though his behaviour wasn't checked thoroughly, he must have been a convincing candidate for selection, or he possibly just ticked a box. Leaving the party came across as fairly childish IMO.

A person with a strong moral code, or even a good grip on reality would probably resign rather than let down their voters? Especially if they understood their condition was being made worse by being in a public role. And Mr Omara has said his mental health has suffered.

It was probably the old "it's not what you know, it's who you know" that allowed him to stand in the first place.

It's fairly clear to everyone that he fully intends to sit out his tenure, picking up the money, and doing as little as possible. He may even feel that in some way he 'deserves' that or that he is "playing the system". What price dignity and respect though?

I can't believe this thread is still running. How tedious.

1186 posts from the same people saying the same things over and over and..........

I can't believe this thread is still running. How tedious.

1186 posts from the same people saying the same things over and over and..........

No need to click on it then. Or be one of the 'tedious' people posting in it!