Jared Omara MP ..

nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

Message added by nikki-red

I wish this thread would close.

However, just when we need an Independent MP to say exactly what their constituents think, without any Whips to distort matters, we have one! Jared, it's you.

The Labour Party was for remain, apparently, but now seems to be for Brexit. The Tories were for remain, some of them, but are now for Brexit, most of them. Hallam constituency was probably the most in favour of remain in South Yorkshire.

Jared, please, stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, make the speech of your life in favour of blocking this chaotic shambles so we can get back to making the EU work for us and the rest of Europe.

If Donald Trump is in favour of leave that's surely good enough reason to stay.

Come on Jared, it's time to show what you can really do. You'll get mocked. You'll be derided, but at least you'll have done something for your constituents. Even those who now mock you would respect a fight. You can do it.

Stand tall, put the past behind you, look the future in the eye. Don't allow the Great to be lost from Britain, to see the United Kingdom falling apart.

Nobody expects anything from you. You've little to lose, but everything to gain.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man? The most unlikely hero, can it be you?

After all your troubles you will be listened to. You'll get support just for having made the effort.

Edited by 1978

i wish this thread would close.

However, just when we need an independent mp to say exactly what their constituents think, without any whips to distort matters, we have one! Jared, it's you.

The labour party was for remain, apparently, but now seems to be for brexit. The tories were for remain, some of them, but are now for brexit, most of them. Hallam constituency was probably the most in favour of remain in south yorkshire.

Jared, please, stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, make the speech of your life in favour of blocking this chaotic shambles so we can get back to making the eu work for us and the rest of europe.

If donald trump is in favour of leave that's surely good enough reason to stay.

Come on jared, it's time to show what you can really do. You'll get mocked. You'll be derided, but at least you'll have done something for your constituents. Even those who now mock you would respect a fight. You can do it.

Stand tall, put the past behind you, look the future in the eye. Don't allow the great to be lost from britain, to see the united kingdom falling apart.

Nobody expects anything from you. You've little to lose, but everything to gain.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man? The most unlikely hero, can it be you?

After all your troubles you will be listened to. You'll get support just for having made the effort.

megalolz!!!!

Apparently he's been told by his doctor to reduce his workload. As someone on the Sheffield Star Facebook Page reduced from 0 to? Seriously though it annoys me he hasnt resigned as an MP. Probably the MP salary is too lucrative.

Aye, may or may not be true. But as a member of the human race we all have our faults. If YOU were in this situation, MP's salary, expenses and the perks that go with it, and of course it should last 5 years, would YOU throw the towel in the ring and give it all up. Or would YOU milk it to the bitter end.

Angel1.

Aye, may or may not be true. But as a member of the human race we all have our faults. If YOU were in this situation, MP's salary, expenses and the perks that go with it, and of course it should last 5 years, would YOU throw the towel in the ring and give it all up. Or would YOU milk it to the bitter end.

I suppose that brings into question if a person has values and their own moral compass . If in this instance that is exactly what is happening ,then really ,really is this the right person for the job. It seems to me that is a big problem in recent years to have just too many career politicians.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

I suppose that brings into question if a person has values and their own moral compass . If in this instance that is exactly what is happening ,then really ,really is this the right person for the job. It seems to me that is a big problem in recent years to have just too many career politicians.

Not sure you could call Jared O'Mara a "career politician"!

You'll never hear from him again in politics as soon as his term is up, let alone him having a career in it!

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

A carCRASH yes !!!:hihi:

And there’s me thinking it was the Hallam electorate that chose O’Mara as their MP.

I think you'll find O'Marrow was voted in by misguided young voters in the Hallam ward. Their petty retaliation against Nick Clegg.

Edited by nikki-red

How I see a Career Politician

There are no recruitment ads and no formal contracts, but there is a distinct path to follow. Go to university and be interested in politics (though you may have to lie about that later)

The usual route would be to become a bag-carrier for a senior politician .

After a few years, you may leave to spend some time in “the real world” (as a lobbyist, journalist or PR man). Alternatively get yourself selected as a parliamentary candidate in a safe seat or in this instance take on a previous Deputy PM who got into bed with the wrong crowd and let a lot of people down. Job done and quids in for life.

Once you have attained one of the above it should be plain sailing( proving there is no skeletons in the cupboard)However now being an MP and being found lacking ,you play the game and aplogise. No one will mind, as the other M.P`s are all doing it too.

Now of course that is just the way that I see how it seems to be a good and easy option as a career in politics if things just go your way.Far better than a zero hours contract with a lot more uncertanties and having to do real work

I think you'll find O'Marrow was voted in by misguided young voters in the Hallam ward. Their petty retaliation against Nick Clegg.

Voting Tory let Labour in.

Misguided young voters? Or young people and their parents who had been promised a change in education funding 8 years earlier?

The majority of the Liberal leavers voted Tory as did the collapsing UKIP vote.

It was also the highest turnout for 50+ years.

Liberal(-5% of the share of the vote)

Tories(+10%).

Labour benefited by (+2.5%).

The Labour vote has increased from 5000 to 2100 since 2005.

And there’s me thinking it was the Hallam electorate that chose O’Mara as their MP.

Most people will just vote for their favoured party very rarely do we get a large negative personal vote especially for new candidates, it's up to the parties to select competent candidates people trust them (or used to trust them) to run the country so selecting candidates ought to be the easy bit.

A carCRASH yes !!!:hihi:

As opposed to the older generations' petty retaliation against the EU, shafting young people's future for some xenophobic jingoism, having taken everything out of the system (free university education being a particularly pertinent example).

Edited by nikki-red

As opposed to the older generations' petty retaliation against the EU, shafting young people's future for some xenophobic jingoism, having taken everything out of the system (free university education being a particularly pertinent example).

Most of the 'older generation', baby boomers like me, didn't go to university. We left school at 15 and got a job. We then lived at home and gave some of our earnings to our parents, not usually moving out until we got married. Once we had children, most mums stayed at home at least for a few years - no NI credits, leaving many women with reduced state pensions, and no free childcare or tax credits to help pay for it. Not sure what we've actually had out of 'the system'.

Our children benefited from increased freedoms, more educational opportunities, and more aspirational attitudes. Perhaps they, currently in their forties, are the older generation you refer to? They are now parents to children who may be at university or plan to go. They are hopefully bright enough to realise that there will be nothing to pay back unless their degree buys them a certain level of financial success.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

A sweeping generalisation devoid of understanding of the complex situation in this country.

Firstly most of us over 65 never had a serious chance to get any university education. Leaving school at 15 was still the norm and 16 was staying on. O levels were the highest level to which most could aspire. The retirement age for men was 65, so a working life of almost 50 years was expected for very many. A large percentage of today's university students would have finished their formal education at 16. A Levels were quite unusual. Yes, a lot of us did get higher qualifications, by attending night classes up to 5 nights a week, or taking correspondence courses, sometimes maybe to get a degree, and usually at our own expense. Most of us we were paying taxes and NHS contritibutions from 15, 16 and 18, not 21 and later.

Yes there were lucky ones who got free further education, but nothing like as many as go to university today. That's something that has built up gradually over the last 60 years

The younger generations contributed strongly to the retaliaton against the EU. Not so much in the Hallam costituency, but certainly in most of the rest of South Yorkshire, East Anglia and places like Sunderland which were major beneficiaries of EU spending. Assuming all younger people were pro-EU is a dangerous missconception.

Accusing all older generations of petty xenophobia doesn't accord with the people I know and associate with. A 96 year old was aghast at that very trait being exhibited across the board. Her view was that for the first 25 years of her life all she knew was wars and killing across Europe. Since 1945 the worst situation was when Yugoslavia fell apart - a salutary lesson we seem to have ignored.

A common theme amonst the older people I know was deep concern at the lack of intelligent consideration of the very complex arangements within the EU now, the even more complex arrangements needed to get out, and then to capture the perceived benefits once outside. Thoes who voted Remain because they foresaw chaos if we voted leave are saddened to be proved right!

Hallam needs an MP to articulate positively the aspirations of young and old, rich and poor, able and less able, not to further ramp up perceived differences between any of us. Above all we need an MP who can be effective, using his past and present experiences to the advantage of the country, his constitiuents (whether they voted at all, voted for him, or voted for someone else) - and himself.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote