Jared Omara MP ..

nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

Message added by nikki-red

2 minutes ago, geared said:

Previously alot were living out in private accommodation, clearly the University has realised get them all stuck in halls and they can enjoy a piece of that action.

You're talking £100+ per week, per student.  

I believe that the majority of the student accommodation recently built in the city isn't owned by the University, it is still private accommodation, so they aren't enjoying a piece of the action.. 

11 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I believe that the majority of the student accommodation recently built in the city isn't owned by the University, it is still private accommodation, so they aren't enjoying a piece of the action.. 

Yes it's mostly Unite, but I'd be very surprised if the University(s) wasn't getting a healthy fee or cut of the action by sending it's students there.

Afterall with 30,000+ students per University you're looking at a healthy 6 million quid a week income, plus the accommodation is specific for students, they couldn't easily turn round and let it out to private individuals.

Edited by geared

Back on topic - Why was such an unsuitable candidate chosen?

It seems that the local labour party had little choice in the matter, and he may well not have been selected if they had been involved.

https://labourlist.org/2019/08/what-labour-should-learn-from-jared-omaras-selection/

It was so unfortunate that Oliver Coppard couldn't stand because he had changed jobs.  He had seemed a good, solid, local candidate with integrity. It could have turned into a good Labour seat.

I'm not affiliated to Labour in any way,  but I am in the Sheffield Hallam constituency.

Edited by Spiderplant
adding a sentence

8 hours ago, geared said:

Yes it's mostly Unite, but I'd be very surprised if the University(s) wasn't getting a healthy fee or cut of the action by sending it's students there.

Afterall with 30,000+ students per University you're looking at a healthy 6 million quid a week income, plus the accommodation is specific for students, they couldn't easily turn round and let it out to private individuals.

Both Universities  actually  made money by selling off their halls of residence and properties . Sheffield Hallam got involved with the infamous Morris Properties from Leeds

16 hours ago, Spiderplant said:

It seems that the local labour party had little choice in the matter, and he may well not have been selected if they had been involved.

https://labourlist.org/2019/08/what-labour-should-learn-from-jared-omaras-selection/

Word on the street is they were warned by members of the public of his prior behaviour and what (eventually) came out in the press back in 2017.

Perhaps if the local labour party had more control he would not have been selected.

Again, for all the wrong reasons.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that he claims to still intend to resign, but the date has been pushed back to November now.