Jared Omara MP ..

nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

Message added by nikki-red

10 minutes ago, 1978 said:

That should stir things up a bit - and about time too.

On a human level the man needs help. Part of that help includes doing the decent thing by immediately applying for the Chiltern Hundreds and getting himself into some form of therapy. 

Sadly, the nature of his situation is that he cannot act rationally, so we're almost certainly stuck with him until an election. The grounds for a recall petition have not been triggered, and probably couldn't be triggered for many months, even if he has committed a legal offence. Causing general offence isn't sufficient grounds!

I think that given recent events (quite a few recently), Parliament rules may be altered soon. It's become a loophole in some ways. Someone in a party could be offered a safe seat whilst they are deliberately aiming to win then leave party and go for own agenda. They can obviously be removed with petitions, but really who notices northern nobodies?

This kind of thing shouldn't really happen. It's a farce. I'm surprised it's got so little press. Most probably because Labour want to keep it out of the news, and Torys don't care about Sheffield.

Edited by *_ash_*

I think the local Labour party who selected this candidate must take some responsibility.   Its all a sorry mess for any Hallam resident who needs the intervention of MP.    As 1978 says, the man needs help.   Ash, you may well be right about the rules being changed in the future, but as things stand only an election will bring necessary change. 

Edited by Ms Macbeth

20 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I think the local Labour party who selected this candidate must take some responsibility.   Its all a sorry mess for any Hallam resident who needs the intervention of MP.    As 1978 says, the man needs help.   Ash, you may well be right about the rules being changed in the future, but as things stand only an election will bring necessary change. 

I’ve seen some, but not necessarily all, of the tweets, and not totally sure what the situation is. Assuming the tweeter is who he claims he is, I’m still not sure if this applies to all the staff or just the writer.

If it all is like it appears, then I think it is a poor way to act, as it’s more about the writer’s self aggrandisement than about the MP.

If you want to resign, then do it directly and professionally. The situation is too important in terms of the MP both as a person and as a representative to do it this way.

@Eater SundaeYou are obviously not aware of O'maras' total failure as an MP  as a representative  of his constituents, a responsible  employer (I think he has sacked/lost 3 full sets of staff) or his previous questionable antics.

I feel sorry, in a way, for him, but he is totally unsuited for the role. The 'people' who selected him have a great deal to answer for - as do those who elected him.

Edited by RollingJ

Brilliant. Only confirms what we all knew anyway.

EYKYFGp.jpg

Suffice to say they didn't part on good terms.

Edited by geared

Now in the news, with some quotes from the person who sent the tweets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49089055

"I appreciate from the outside it looks like a really horrible thing to do."

"We're left with a situation where there's people in Sheffield Hallam who are not being represented.

"There are people who are waiting on their immigration status, there are people who are not getting houses, there are people having their benefits stopped and all these things stopped just because he's not prepared to do his job properly.

"Yes it was a ridiculous statement but it's the one thing I think might motivate change."

Are all of those things an MP's job though?

24 minutes ago, geared said:

They are certainly on the list of things that MPs can help people with.  https://www.writetothem.com/about-yourrep

'How can your MP help?

MPs are generous with their help and advice, and they will generally try to assist their constituents with a wide range of problems. There is no job description for an MP and it is up to an individual MP which cases they take on. However, MPs are more likely to be able to help with problems concerning central government services such as: • Benefits, pensions, national insurance, and other matters dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions; • Immigration and other problems dealt with by the Home Office; • Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs • Problems with the NHS; • Problems with the Child Support Agency; • School grants and closures'

Edited by Ms Macbeth

11 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Eater SundaeYou are obviously not aware of O'maras' total failure as an MP  as a representative  of his constituents, a responsible  employer (I think he has sacked/lost 3 full sets of staff) or his previous questionable antics.

I feel sorry, in a way, for him, but he is totally unsuited for the role. The 'people' who selected him have a great deal to answer for - as do those who elected him.

The method of resignation was nothing to do with Jared O’mara’s failings as an MP, though.

It was all about Gareth Arnold’s wish to be top dog, and to act like a nasty bully. The tweets say a lot more about Gareth Arnold than they do about Jared O’Mara. Not a pretty sight

8 hours ago, geared said:

Yes, yes they are. If a constituant has a problem that can't be solved by moaning to the council or taking it up with whatever authority then they complain to their MP. He or she then rightly takes it up on their behalf.

I have worked 20 years in public service and things always get done quicker if an MP is involved.

31 minutes ago, taxman said:

Yes, yes they are. If a constituant has a problem that can't be solved by moaning to the council or taking it up with whatever authority then they complain to their MP. He or she then rightly takes it up on their behalf.

I have worked 20 years in public service and things always get done quicker if an MP is involved.

How has this gone with O'Mara?

I've seen nothing positive in here, in the news, or anywhere for that matter.

3 hours ago, Eater Sundae said:

The method of resignation was nothing to do with Jared O’mara’s failings as an MP, though.

It was all about Gareth Arnold’s wish to be top dog, and to act like a nasty bully. The tweets say a lot more about Gareth Arnold than they do about Jared O’Mara. Not a pretty sight

Without knowing the ins and outs, it's difficult to know. I don't know the ins and outs of this person as it happens.