Jared Omara MP ..

nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

Message added by nikki-red

I guess because he isn't related to specifically to Sheffield?

I see that. And I understand that Jared is very interesting to the forum members.

I’d have thought that Toby Young would have merited his own thread though. I don’t know if he got merged into the Tory thread or not. Only a mod will be able to clarify that.

There are loads of these cases, Jared, Anne Marie Morris, Young, Ben Bradley. Maybe we should have a “Said Stupid Things on the Internet Ten Year’s Ago - All discussion here” thread.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 13:48 ----------

Stop bringing facts into it Paula.

You’ve got fact and opinion mixed up there, “Emma”.

Thanks.

"MP Jared O'Mara is to resume duties in his constituency and Parliament after a 12-week absence, his office has said.

The Sheffield Hallam MP was suspended by the Labour Party in October over misogynistic and homophobic comments he is alleged to have made.

Mr O'Mara has apologised for online remarks from 2002 and 2004 but denies some more recent claims.

He was signed off work by his GP on 13 December but has said he now intends to resume duties on a "phased return".

In a statement posted on his website, a spokesman said Mr O'Mara will be resuming his duties "with immediate effect."

He added: "The phased return, on medical advice, will see Jared taking up duties both in Parliament and the constituency."

Mr O'Mara said he was "pleased" to be returning to work and was "delighted to be moving forward and able to represent my constituents".

News of his return comes a day after a newspaper reported some of his constituents were calling for him to resign and trigger a by-election.

The 35-year-old MP resigned from the women and equalities committee after political website Guido Fawkes unearthed offensive comments he had made online in 2004.

More comments, involving homophobic language, then emerged dating back to 2002.

Sophie Evans, who had met Mr O'Mara on a dating app before he was elected, told the BBC's Daily Politics he had made comments to her that "aren't broadcastable".

Mr O'Mara apologised for remarks in 2002 and 2004 but "categorically denies" Ms Evans' allegation.

The MP hasn't spoken publically in Parliament or his constituency since his apology on 23 October.

A Labour party spokesman said it hoped to conclude its investigation into Mr O'Mara soon."

You’ve got fact and opinion mixed up there, “Emma”.

What is the problem, "Naive"?

Thanks.

"MP Jared O'Mara is to resume duties in his constituency and Parliament after a 12-week absence, his office has said.

The Sheffield Hallam MP was suspended by the Labour Party in October over misogynistic and homophobic comments he is alleged to have made.

Mr O'Mara has apologised for online remarks from 2002 and 2004 but denies some more recent claims.

He was signed off work by his GP on 13 December but has said he now intends to resume duties on a "phased return".

In a statement posted on his website, a spokesman said Mr O'Mara will be resuming his duties "with immediate effect."

He added: "The phased return, on medical advice, will see Jared taking up duties both in Parliament and the constituency."

Mr O'Mara said he was "pleased" to be returning to work and was "delighted to be moving forward and able to represent my constituents".

News of his return comes a day after a newspaper reported some of his constituents were calling for him to resign and trigger a by-election.

The 35-year-old MP resigned from the women and equalities committee after political website Guido Fawkes unearthed offensive comments he had made online in 2004.

More comments, involving homophobic language, then emerged dating back to 2002.

Sophie Evans, who had met Mr O'Mara on a dating app before he was elected, told the BBC's Daily Politics he had made comments to her that "aren't broadcastable".

Mr O'Mara apologised for remarks in 2002 and 2004 but "categorically denies" Ms Evans' allegation.

The MP hasn't spoken publically in Parliament or his constituency since his apology on 23 October.

A Labour party spokesman said it hoped to conclude its investigation into Mr O'Mara soon."

In other words I will return to work slowly and pretend like nothing has happened having pretty much done nothing since I got elected.

In other words I will return to work slowly and pretend like nothing has happened having pretty much done nothing since I got elected.

Haha!

I think what politicians always forget though is that the public have longer memories than they give them credit for....

This looks bad for Labour. They are ensuring he doesn't resign because it would mean losing a seat. So much for nice guy Corbyn who is sacrificing the constituents for his own end.

This looks bad for Labour. They are ensuring he doesn't resign because it would mean losing a seat. So much for nice guy Corbyn who is sacrificing the constituents for his own end.

They know if there was a by-election it would probably go back to Lib Dems.

Labour have already suspended him.

The most they can do is expel him from the party, at which point he becomes an Independent MP. They can't "make him" call a by-election.

Thank god we've got you to tell us what Labour are doing.

I am very sympathetic about people being affected by illness.

He's not done the job in his first six months, he's not showing any signs of starting doing it, so he needs to stand aside for somebody who can start doing the job. Expect a resignation in January when he'll become entitled for more money.

Who would have thought it, the predicted time arrived and he's decided to stick it out instead of resigning, hiding behind doctors notes.

Now we see a miraculous recovery literally hours after the new Momentum Labour NEC installed a new chair of Labour's disciplinary committee who happens to be a director of Momentum. The same Momentum that selected Jared O'Mara. The same committee that will allow him to return as a Labour Member any day now, no doubt citing lessons learned, changed man, etc.

What a stitch up. How do we recall him and force a by-election?

Edited by ENG601PM

Labour have already suspended him.

The most they can do is expel him from the party, at which point he becomes an Independent MP. They can't "make him" call a by-election.

True he would have to resign from the House of Commons. Although it would make a statement if they did expel him from the party.

Maybe you could vote for a party with a more robust approach to offensive social media posts, try these guys..............

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/17/ben-bradley-to-stay-tory-vice-chair-after-vasectomies-for-unemployed-row

Every party has it's problems, it's not partisan.