Recording device

Does anyone know of any publicly available portable device which will make 2 identical recordings simultaneously, but is not a laptop, tablet, or smartphone?

Does anyone know of any publicly available portable device which will make 2 identical recordings simultaneously, but is not a laptop, tablet, or smartphone?

Two small dictaphones? Does it need to be hidden or do you want the person to know they are being recorded?

It's not for me, it's for a client, who is about to go to a disability assessment and wants it recording so there can be no argument about what was said.

There is no secrecy, but these are the requirements put in place by the DHSS.

You don't need it to be one single device. You can take 2 cassette recorders in with you. Advice from here:

This might seem like overkill but considering what is at stake:

“1 use 3 recorders

2 Buy brand new sealed cassettes and open them in front of the interviewer.

3 Set up the machines and have all 3 recording at once

4 At the end mark your name and national insurance number on each cassette.

5 Invite the interviewer to choose 1 cassette.

6 With that cassette seal it with tape or label over the cassette so if its opened it will show.

7 Pop that cassette into an envelope addressed to yourself and post via recorded delivery.

8 When you get the package DO NOT OPEN IT.

Should you have to go to tribunal and there is any dispute what has been said you have the one copy which has not been touch since it was recorded and take it to tribunal and hand over to person running it so they can listen to the cassette.”

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3520-back-to-the-age-of-the-cassette-for-recording-benefits-medicals

Advice that I read recently said that it did have to be two tapes recorded contemporaneously by one machine, so I don't know how you find out for sure which it needs to be.

You don't need it to be one single device. You can take 2 cassette recorders in with you. Advice from here:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3520-back-to-the-age-of-the-cassette-for-recording-benefits-medicals

Thanks for that.

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 15:45 ----------

Advice that I read recently said that it did have to be two tapes recorded contemporaneously by one machine, so I don't know how you find out for sure which it needs to be.

And for that.

Once again 2 different answers to the same question. (No criticism of the replies by the way.) but wouldn't it be good if the DHSS gave out clear advice.

Seeing as this seems to be such a contentious issue (and so often seen as necessary by the clients,) wouldn't you think that the Assessors would automatically record these sessions in duplicate and give a tape to both parties?

I wonder why they don't?

Edited by Anna B

They used to record on cd you kept one copy and them the other bit you had to request it but don't think they do it no more put it down to cut backs suppose

Thanks for that.

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 15:45 ----------

And for that.

Once again 2 different answers to the same question. (No criticism of the replies by the way.) but wouldn't it be good if the DHSS gave out clear advice.

Seeing as this seems to be such a contentious issue (and so often seen as necessary by the clients,) wouldn't you think that the Assessors would automatically record these sessions in duplicate and give a tape to both parties?

I wonder why they don't?

Probably because then they would have even less money to hand out.

Hi everyone, apologies if this has been asked before, I had a look and couldnt see anything. I had to apply for PIP a couple of months ago (currently on DLA) I've been told to expect a home assessment very soon. I emailed ATOS customer support to ask about recording assessments, their reply has left me terrified, they say they will not record it, but, I can record it myself if I supply duel recording equipment capable of making 2 CD's during the assessment ! I simply cant do this, I cant afford it, the machine their talking about is over £1,000.

I've already been through the ESA/WCA nightmare and I know how vital it is to record an assessment.

Surely this is discriminatory ? it is denying me the chance to question their comments and decisions due to my poor financial circumstances.

When I emailed them about this I told them I was under the impression that I could record anything if it was about myself as long as it was only used for note taking purposes. surely this is what the Law says ? Please someone tell me I'm right ! I'm really scared about this.taken from another site

Edited by bossdogg

I agree with you completely.

Have you asked them the reasons why it is made so difficult for you to record? And yes I think it is discrimination. Maybe you could get a solicitor's opinion on this?

If it's all done above board and in the open what have they got to hide?