Snake Pass Closed from today (Mon 23 Oct) till Fri 27 Oct

It's not resurfacing it requires, but work to dual carriageway it from Sheffield to the start of the M67. Same required for the Woodhead pass, dual carriageway from the M1 to Mottram.

Angel1.

No, definately not a dual carrigeway through the Peak District that would be the thin end of a very big wedge.

The proposed tunnel is the best idea and if we were in London that would be a go-er. The government think nothing of spending billions on infastructure for the capital and the home counties. The new Blackwall tunnel to open soon at a cost of billions

Bet you any money that Stonehenge gets it's tunnel before we get ours. So much for the Northern Powerhouse.

But no to a dual carrigeway, It's not about getting us to Manchester quicker but doing it in the right way and tearing up the contryside to lay four lanes of tarmac isnt it...

No, definately not a dual carrigeway through the Peak District that would be the thin end of a very big wedge.

The proposed tunnel is the best idea and if we were in London that would be a go-er. The government think nothing of spending billions on infastructure for the capital and the home counties. The new Blackwall tunnel to open soon at a cost of billions

Bet you any money that Stonehenge gets it's tunnel before we get ours. So much for the Northern Powerhouse.

But no to a dual carrigeway, It's not about getting us to Manchester quicker but doing it in the right way and tearing up the contryside to lay four lanes of tarmac isnt it...

I'd just rather have the dual carriageway. At least that way I might see it completed before I am dead.

It's not resurfacing it requires, but work to dual carriageway it from Sheffield to the start of the M67. Same required for the Woodhead pass, dual carriageway from the M1 to Mottram.

Angel1.

But you still end up in the car park otherwise known as Mottram . That is the real problem.

Last week it took me longer to get from the traffic lights at Mottram , up the hill to the 67 than it did to get from my house over to Tintwistle .

There already is one (partly) - the A6. It works well and is nicely screened by trees.

There already is one (partly) - the A6. It works well and is nicely screened by trees.

Where? The section between Dove Holes & Whalley Bridge isn't in the peak district; there is a tiny stretch that bypasses Taddington between Buxton & Bakewell. Certainly nothing akin to the M62 though.

I think dualling the Snake or Woodhead passes would be largely pointless (not to mention excessively expensive) in terms of improving speed/traffic congestion - they take you largely uninterrupted across 95% of the Peak District; the real issue is (and I don't agree with Penistone999 often/ever) the urban pinch points through Glossop, Mottram, etc.

I drove up the closed section yesterday (for access). Brilliant having no one else on it, I've never really seen the views before as a driver.

-

As for tunnels or dual-carriageways, certainly it's going to be expensive either way (or in fact any way), but I think one day will have to be done.

I hear my Dad talking of going to London pre-M1 days (as some of you will know), and it sees unthinkable to us, perhaps your lot will have grandkids one day saying they can't believe we used that to get to Manchester! :hihi:

The A6 in the Peak is actually only dual carriageway for a half mile section near Taddington. The other dual carriageway section north of Chapel iand south of Disley is not in the Peak National Park.

I'm not even sure widening the Snake is technically feasible, and even if it were, the bottleneck are Glossop and particularly Mottram.

Edited by stifflersmom

As has already been said, no need at all for a dual carriageway over the Snake. It needs to start in Glossop through to the motorway.

In the weekday rush hour there are cars crawling along from the traffic lights in Glossop through to the motorway, that is the problem not the Snake.

I suspect the closure of the Snake could have been the reason why some moron in an 18-wheel artic decided to attempt the Strines road yesterday and promptly got stuck on the hairpin a mile before Midhopestones. It caused utter chaos with around 40 cars stuck behind it. The lorry was from Stockport so the driver should have known better and read the width limit signs.