Where do you stand on taking a knee?

Apparently viewing figures are falling for NFL matches and the broadcasters have started editing out the players (all of them, not just ones protesting) during the anthem.

It would seem the target audience doesn't like it.

I admire Colin Kaepernick and those who have joined him in the 'taking a knee' protests against police brutality in the US.

Far from being 'sons of bitches' as Mr Trump has referred to them, I think their actions are both brave and honourable.

What's your view?

I would Kneed to know more before making a decision

Anyone remember Roy Hodgson trying to get England players to sing the anthem. Some of them just stared straight at the ground.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5429752

Thinking back, Gary Nevile was alleged to be an English republican who also didn't believe in god and many people thought that was the reason he never sung the anthem.

---------- Post added 21-10-2017 at 18:29 ----------

It used to be played every night at shutdown on BBC TV, usually about midnight.

Unthinkable now of course.

When I lived in County Mayo-2005-2006 the Irish anthem would be played midnight, and I would stand up with my ex and her family.

I once took a knee , and it bloody hurt I can tell thee

I admire Colin Kaepernick and those who have joined him in the 'taking a knee' protests against police brutality in the US.

Far from being 'sons of bitches' as Mr Trump has referred to them, I think their actions are both brave and honourable.

What's your view?

The Hertha Berlin football players took a knee. You could do the same before you start work every morning to show your support.

When I lived in County Mayo-2005-2006 the Irish anthem would be played midnight, and I would stand up with my ex and her family.

Most trad Irish pubs do that ..especially if a rebel bands been on ..

---------- Post added 21-10-2017 at 23:41 ----------

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5429752

Thinking back, Gary Nevile was alleged to be an English republican who also didn't believe in god and many people thought that was the reason he never sung the anthem.

Good on him ..never heard that.. I remember when Daley Thompson got slated for not respectfully whistling God save the queens

Edited by WestTinsley

I can remember when nearly all public performances were started or ended with the playing of the National Anthem. My memories included cinemas and theatres. Not sure about football matches, but I have a feeling it may have been the same.

You were expected to stand, but within my memories I'd see more and more people not bothering until it seemed to not happen anymore.

anthame

remember that the US anthem is about a Nation, rather than ours being about a person. I truly believe if ours was about our country, people would take more pride

Can't stand the phrase "taking a knee", who actually says that? However, I think people should be free to stand/sit/kneel/lie down during the national anthem, if that's what they want to do. To insist that everyone adopts a particular position is a bit too controlling and weird.

They are right to do it. The white players should also.

Under any other president I think the protest would be accepted and supported.

However....

Trump isn't any president. He will use and corrupt any message that he can to galvanize the support of the increasingly right wing intolerant Americans that have been in their minds "left behind".

These Americans hate the idea of being told what to do. Especially by privileged/well paid black athletes. Trump is exploiting this mentality and the protest is back firing :(

Perhaps in the not-so-distant future we'll all be singing the Red Flag- should we kneel or stand?

Guest makapaka

As with most things these days it’s completely lost effect now with peoples race to join in to feel better about themselves.