Firth Park 50s and 60s

Yes mate. No doubt about it.

Gran and Auntie lived up on Foremark Rd. Everybody knew everybody and looked after each other. Firth Park was full of proper shops. We lived in Totley and later at Woodseats.

Woodseats used to be great but now it’s all takeaways, hairdressers, nail bars and bookies.

It’s the same everywhere. Progress, isn’t it ??

I lived on Foremark Rd from1957 until 1978 (number 50). Loads of kids played in "the dial" every day

usually delegio or whatever they called it. The Dial (Dial Way) has now been replaced by housing.

Formark rd was on other side of Stubbin to me I lived on Horninglow rd and like I said earlier my sister still lives there . My grand parents lived on Fairthorne rd last house on corner where it meets Hatfield house lane .Used to hang around the dial a bit . I was in the life boys then boys brigade and a few lads came from that area .David and Maureen Flood come to mind

Formark rd was on other side of Stubbin to me I lived on Horninglow rd and like I said earlier my sister still lives there . My grand parents lived on Fairthorne rd last house on corner where it meets Hatfield house lane .Used to hang around the dial a bit . I was in the life boys then boys brigade and a few lads came from that area .David and Maureen Flood come to mind

I lived on Horninglow road myself, 49/69 some 150 yards below the grammer school. Happy days!:D

Yes happy days I lived at 113 from birth 19477to getting married in 1968 my sister still lives at 74 bang opposite

Hi all - A few years ago on a visit to the old sod I remember my brother and I found ourselves on Bellhouse Rd at a bakery at the bottom on the lefthand side looking up, where we bought lovely pork sandwiches on freshly baked bread cakes, each having a generous portion of crackling sticking out. Then we proceeded to motor to the Rising Sun at Fulwood (where my brother lives in the vicinity anyway) we washed them sandwiches to die for, down with a couple, best meal I'd had in a long time. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood

To Peter R

re the Housing office. I seem to remember it as a one storey building where outside ,long queues formed both up and down Bellhouse Road. There would be one clerk dealing with all and everything, in the days before credit cards or cheques, to do with bins, rent, exchanges of Council houses - you name it! Of course this was in the early 1950s when I went down with my mum. It may have become more sophisticated when you were there! I believe the office moved to a site just off the Bellhouse Road end of Hadfield House Lane.

Fire Fairies at Firth Park Methodist Church

Playing hide and seek in Firth Park Library (the old one)

The boating lake pond

Hucklow Road Junior and Infant School

Shiregreen High and then Hinde House

The witch who lived at the top of Firth Park Avenue

The roof blowing the roof off a house on Firth Park Avenue

Dr Pettigrew at Firth Park surgery

Sliding down the donkey hill on cardboard

Rope swings over the stream at bottom of donkey hill

Going into the tunnel under the park and running out screaming!

---------- Post added 22-10-2017 at 11:25 ----------

Oh and rubbing the slide with the waxed bread paper to make you slide down faster

Getting your anorak toggle things caught in the top of the slide and being stuck neither up nor down!

Hi Katey nearly every single thing you have named is what I can remember apart from fire Fairies and Shiregreen school mine was Hucklow Road school then Hinde House . What wonderful memories .

I too remember all the fun on the donkey hill. I go for a walk with a friend who used to live on Tideswell road every year to reminisce. We both attended Hucklow road school before going on to Marlcliffe school 1962

We always make sure we have a bag of chips at the Paragon chippy (now renamed) then a cuppa in firth park cafe. Do you remember the 20 a side games of footy in firth park backing onto the tennis court?

Hi Alan do you have a sister called Heather if you do I went to school with her , Hucklow and Hinde house , I am David Gregory. She became head girl and was well respected. The games of football in Firth Park is a thing I think all boys from that area will remember. The last few years before I retired I worked for our local town council , Dronfield , as park supervisor and every time I saw lads playing football , it always brought back memories.

Was the sweetshop across the road from the Paragon Cinema called Paragon Sweetshop, or Dainties or was that later? I seem to remember it became Hibberts?

I may be getting confused with the chip shop which I think was called Paragon Fisheries?

Yes you are right with chippy name but I too am not sure about sweet shop name. My sister worked at camms just round corner on bellhouse rd so I used that more than anything. The chippy had a cafe as well , can you remember that. Also someone asked about name of chippy going away from roundabout towards stubbin was that XL. It was like round the corner of that small dead end road , before the tsb bank.