Firth Park 50s and 60s

As a nipper in the 50s I used to go with my mum to visit my gran who lived on Foremark Rd.

There were certain shops we used to call at regularly and I wonder if any of you can remember them.

We used to get off the tram on Firth Park Rd and go to the butchers where we had a regular order. Think it was next to the Post Office and Allen’s Cycles.

We’d then go onto Bellhouse Rd and look in the window of the toy shop ( think someone said earlier it was Seymour’s) before going to a chip shop that was on the left on the corner higher up.

On the way back we always called at Styans? for a bun.

It’s the butchers name I’m interested in cos I’m sure they were friends with my mum and dad. Reg Johnson who was sub postmaster there in the 60s was also a family friend

Edited by Dreb48
Spelling

As a nipper in the 50s I used to go with my mum to visit my gran who lived on Foremark Rd.

There were certain shops we used to call at regularly and I wonder if any of you can remember them.

We used to get off the tram on Firth Park Rd and go to the butchers where we had a regular order. Think it was next to the Post Office and Allen’s Cycles.

We’d then go onto Bellhouse Rd and look in the window of the toy shop ( think someone said earlier it was Seymour’s) before going to a chip shop that was on the left on the corner higher up.

On the way back we always called at Styans? for a bun.

It’s the butchers name I’m interested in cos I’m sure they were friends with my mum and dad. Reg Johnson who was sub postmaster there in the 60s was also a family friend

Was the butcher's 'Spencer's' ?

Yes. I’m sure that’s it

Yes the butchers definitely was spencer and the toy shop on Bellhouse road was Kenyans , not sure of spelling but seymores was near the bank TSB , loyds has now . Also think the butchers is still there . Before the Fine Fare we used to do our main shopping at the coop , which is now the library I can still remember my mums share number 50412 . I too can remember the opening of Fine Fare we stood outside the paragon chippy to see it opened .

Yes it was definitely Kenyons. I remember that now. Happy memories of spending pocket money on plastic toy soldiers, the odd Dinky toy and bits for my Triang train set

---------- Post added 20-10-2017 at 16:49 ----------

Can anyone remember the name of the chip shop I mentioned? It was on the left on the corner and if you turned left there was a hardware shop across the road and further along was some sort of clinic where we picked up welfare orange juice.

A favourite treat when I was growing up at Sheffield Lane Top in the 50s, was to walk down Sicey Avenue and Firth Park Road, to Firth Park Library, every Saturday afternoon, with my sister and father, choose books at the wonderful old library and then four bags of sweets from the Paragon sweet shop across from the cinema. Think it later became Hibberts. We sat with the radio on and read our books. My father always chose books for my mother! When the Paragon Cinema was demolished, it became a Fine Fare supermarket, the first in the area and we went to see Violet Carson who played Ena Sharples in Coronation Street, open it. We were totally gob smacked as she was dressed so smartly with no hair net!!!

Does anyone remember the Housing office which was then on Bellhouse Road? It dealt with all and everything to do with local Council business.

Hi GOLDEN OLDIE,

Re your last paragraph, I lived at Shiregreen between 1957 and 1966. Years later I was a Local Government Officer based at the Town Hall but occasionally in 1977 or 8 ish I would man the cash desks taking rent on a Friday Morning at the Housing Office on Bellhouse Road. Sometimes did Parson Cross.

Dreb48 the hardware shop was Huddarts once again not sure of spelling . Can see the chip shop but name has gone . the clinic is still there and has a child I trapped my fingers in the large doors , still got the groove now. It is still there , my sister who still lives on Horninglow rd recently fell and broke her hip and she is having treatment at that clinic . Think that road is North quadrant .

Yes that’s it Dave. Huddarts. Am I right that Styans bakers was at the bottom of Bellhouse Rd ?

yes think you are right about bakers when you say bottom of bellhouse didn't it like wrap around the corner so it as like on sicey has well

Yep that’s how I remember it. Great vanilla slices and eclairs. Didn’t mind the potted meat but the salmon paste was rank

Just had street view on google looking at shops now , wow think we had the best times

Yes mate. No doubt about it.

Gran and Auntie lived up on Foremark Rd. Everybody knew everybody and looked after each other. Firth Park was full of proper shops. We lived in Totley and later at Woodseats.

Woodseats used to be great but now it’s all takeaways, hairdressers, nail bars and bookies.

It’s the same everywhere. Progress, isn’t it ??