Firth Park 50s and 60s

Yes that must be the Philip Dickens I was thinking of lived at end of my road Horninglow on Barnsley rd . Must have been a year younger than me . Its just that someone mentioned him to me and then that gets your mind going . could not remember him at Hinde House and passing 11plus is why , smart arse. Thanks Alan

I know the name but can’t place him. I’m wondering if he was my brother Alan’s age.

Edited by hilp4
Spelling mistake

Good to see lakerman....Rod Socket today at the Stubbin Community Centre. Rod added to our group with memories of hucklow and Hindehouse. We are 'ten strong' old geezers now which is lively but if youve been talking on here why not join us Tuesdays 1.00pm all free including tea and cakes.

Good to see lakerman....Rod Socket today at the Stubbin Community Centre. Rod added to our group with memories of hucklow and Hindehouse. We are 'ten strong' old geezers now which is lively but if youve been talking on here why not join us Tuesdays 1.00pm all free including tea and cakes.

Lovely couple of hours this PM. Looking forward to next time Alan. Really enjoyed your company.

This sounds ok . will try and get to meet you all but Tuesday is a awkward day but will try , sounds great.

Lottery Funding for this group is for 'Old geezers' but I asked yesterday and they said they would not turn away 'old gals'

Lottery Funding for this group is for 'Old geezers' but I asked yesterday and they said they would not turn away 'old gals'

Hi Alan, I have sent you a PM.

Hey up Ed do I know you and yes that is how I remember Phil from playing football and such in longley park and playing fields .Wonder how he us going on now .

Regards Dave

Hey, I remember Chris and Phil Dickens. They were good pals with the lads on horninglow road, as indeed we were. We used to play football in the grammer school playing fields next to longley park. I also remember a lad called Dennis Shepard, great dribbler, and a lad called Jeff Sanderson, great goalie. :)

Hi Ed

We spent lots of hours playing footy in FP Grammar playing fields. Others who played with us were Johnny Reeves, Michael Maw, Les Nicholson, Johnny Leybourne, Peter Unwin, my brother Andrew Fergus .Poor old Dennis was always the one who had to fetch any ball that was too far for us to get. I dont remember Jeff Sanderson but there was Graham Sanderson who lived on Merlin Way.

I was always the goalkeeper which was quite easy as we often played in the hockey nets.

Why not join us tuesday 1.00pm Stubbin Centre Fairthorn road for a chat and a cuppa....its men over 55 only... bring anyone else you are in contact with from Hucklow/Firth Park.

---------- Post added 03-12-2017 at 17:40 ----------

Hey Dave, yes quite possible that we knew each other, I came down from Willington Rd. and played football with the Beckett, Billard and Littlewood lads, I also remember Terry Collins, Les Gladwin and a younger lad called Martin who came over from Crowland Rd.

Sorry, can't give you any reliable info on the Dickens brothers, I've heard a lot about them, but nothing confirmed, I'm quite curios too, would indeed like to know how everybody is getting on nowadays

Hi Ed

Chris Dickens passed away some years ago, Chris and I attended Marlcliffe together.

Phil still lives in Sheffield, his daughter sometimes writes on the forum.

Can anyone remember Stephen Nortcliffe lived on Horninglow next to the gennel . suffered with breathing but always did well in cross country running. Went to Staithes trip with me when we were in the life boys came first in the long distance race .

Steven Nortcliffe was in my sister Hilary’s class at Hucklow. She remembers him well.