Firth Park 50s and 60s

Yes PD, played it a few times but managed to avoid serious injury!

Still got a few scars from other activities tho, lol

Stumps was a game I played for hours and hours. We played in firth park, bottom end of the park near to Cammel Road. I also played at stretch too. It's funny but I was chatting to my sister this week about old times and she mentioned us playing stretch.

Ever dam the stream in the park, make clay "touch burners" near the stream before the park entrance at the bottom gate, slide the steep hill in summertime on cardboard boxes down to the stream, wax the slide in the playground, get chased by the "Perkies" look for birds nests in the allotments, dare to go more than fifty yards up the dark tunnel?

Yes did all them things Flightliner What good days Firth Park was brilliant for spending your time away , loads to do. I visit my sister who still lives on Horninglow road and sometimes I park up and have a walk through the park and the memories come back

My sister went on Horninglow about three weeks ago and said how it had changed little over the decades although many houses had been altered in one way or another.

Lots of memories tho, all good!

That is correct flightliner not much changed a few weeks ago I parked up at my sisters on Horninglow and had to kill a bit of time while she came home , so I walked my old paper round . From Camms at firth park up Hucklow road down vickers drive , vickers rd , cammel rd , ellerton and wheldrake , bolsover rd then back up Barnsley rd . This was the worst round that camms had and because my sister Doreen worked there that is why I got it. Nothing had changed much at all a few new houses built in a couple of locations on bolsover but that was all. Rod , Susan Skidmore and a good few others lived on my paper round.

HIya Rod, what number Bolsover Road did you live at? We lived at no 50 about half way up on the left before we left to come to Australia in 1952. I also went to Hucklow Rd, but am 4-7 years older than most of the others. Linda and Michael Manterfield lived two doors up from us. Linda lives out Penistone way, not sure about Michael.

---------- Post added 21-12-2017 at 01:20 ----------

Did Brian have twin sisters, Christine and Pauline? They were in my class at Hucklow Road. They'd be a bit older.

I think Brian had a sister who was older probably born 1947

---------- Post added 28-12-2017 at 22:29 ----------

Thanks for that lakerman, good info there, something to ponder on.

Just looking back in time again.

Winter sledging on Tideswell and Longley park were colder activities, did anyone play "stumps" in longley during the summertime-- I much preferred it to cricket !

I remember playing stumps in Firth Park, I think I remember David Dyson as being very good.

---------- Post added 28-12-2017 at 22:32 ----------

Any of you guys may remember others of those times on Horninglow/ Tideswell, Frank burger , Tony Renshaw, Vin Faulkner.

First two names were Hucklow rd school guys?

I remember Johnny Faulkner he lived in the corner house Tideswell/Downham

---------- Post added 28-12-2017 at 22:52 ----------

I don’t remember all of the names, except Tony Renshaw and Michael Manterfied. Carol Birch also lived on Horninglow, I think the first house just past the Grammar school. She had a brother, Barry, who was older and I think went off to Uni from Hinde House. Paul and Brendan Lally lived in the second house from the gennel on Merlin Way, next door to Labory Convrey (spelling?). Brendan became a commander in the police force, and they both went to De La Salle. The Lallys had a dog called Francie who used to sit and howl for hours and could be heard all over the estate. The Convreys had a dog called Lobo, an enormous Alsatian. These two used to terrorise the neighbourhood cats, and sad to say killed any that they came upon.

Labory Convery lived at 11 The Oval, Paul Lally lived 26 Merlin Way.

---------- Post added 28-12-2017 at 22:56 ----------

Can't remember owners but can remember that bloody dog it was massive or my memory is playing tricks. It once trapped us in that phone box on the gennel , we were there for about 10 mins till owner finally turned up. The lowes lived near there Grant and Chester and some sisters.

---------- Post added 20-12-2017 at 21:50 ----------

Our first house we bought after getting married was on Sandstone Ave , wincobank in 1968 and Chester Lowe was the joiner for the builder who built it. Small world. I later got a part time job building some garages and Grant Lowe bought one I think.

Grant Lowe lived at 14 Merlin way next door to Les Nicholson

Edited by alanfergus
Spelling

The dog Francie, the big brown one, was owned by the Lalleys, and Lobo the giant Alsatian was owned by the Convreys. I remember Francie sitting in the middle of the road at Firth Park terminus howling, preventing all the trams from going either way. I went to get him, because he knew me, and I got told off by the local policeman. He wouldn’t believe the dog wasn’t mine and that I was doing a good deed. Also the Lowes of Merlin Way had another brother, Anthony, he was the dream of all us girls and we used to stand around his house hoping for a glimpse of him. He ignored us when he came out, broken hearts at an early age. Does anyone remember the lady who lived at the bottom of the first gennel near the phone box who was the unofficial ‘keeper of the box’ she used to chase us off whenever we went into it to tell the operator to get off the line as a train was coming. Did that nearly every day. My grandchildren think I’ve gone mad saying this as they’ve never heard of a telephone operator, and don’t find it funny anyway. We thought it hilarious.

No sense of humour have grandkids . Will not know what its like to use a phone box LOL . That phone box was my lifeline with the outside world and that lady you mentioned ,Heather if same one , used to take messages for me , she must have known all about peoples business . Once she even walked round to my house to pass on a message . 6pm I would be at that box either making or receiving a call . Them dogs were a pain , mainly the brown one Francie . I used that box to make a date which lead to me getting married to my present wife 50 plus years ago . It was much quieter than the one at Firth Park but always full of kids telling operator to get off line a train is coming . What memories .

Sorry not labour convey. It was Wana Brailsford

Hi has anyone out there got any memories of hanging out around the firth park area in the 50s and 60s . The dance venue at st Christopher's Bellhouse road was very good .

Hi Dave

I have great memories of FP. I used to hanging around with you and Alan Evans.

You lived on Horninglow near the junction with Eycourt Road and Alan lived on The Oval at the top of Eyncourt Road. I lived on The Oval at 114 at the corner of the gennel.

---------- Post added 29-12-2017 at 23:03 ----------

Sorry not labour convey. It was Wana Brailsford

Juanita Brailsford. A lovely lass whose mum was Spanish.

Hey up Darryl was only thinking of you the other day , I drove through Monyash and remembered when we all went hiking and camping for a week . There was me ,Alan and you and can't remember who else. Our parents must have been worried no contact for a week . I remember the weather was really nice . How you doing . I also can remember when you mum got a static caravan somewhere up north yorks and we drove up in your dads car you driving as a learner with me sat up front. Didn't big ends go on way back and we had to limp home. You had a brother John is he still with us . You then moved to Tideswell , just above Horninglow , didn't you .Was you with us went we went camping at Ingomells we all went in my car spent most days in pub weather rubbish. A lad called Mike went with us cant remember his last name ( Warburton ) ? . Those early days hanging around Firth Park were great times .

Edited by parkydave