Mr Trump - All discussion here

20 hours ago, andyofborg said:

As in the uk and most other places the bulk will be "rosette on a donkey" voters, some because they didn't like the alternative, some because they bought into the spin and some because they bought into his actual message. 

Trump's media treatment is a direct result of his words and actions, and until last week a large part of the  media have been very supportive of him, particulatly, until last week at least, his coup attempt. It's all there in publicly available material should you care to look. 

Corbyn might have got a hard time in the media, but every labour leader for the last hunfred years has had that treatment, particularly the leftier ones. He should have expected it and dealt with it. better  He chose not too and so he failed  That's the difference between the leader of a country and the man collecting signtures on Fargate. 

No they haven't. It began in the late 70's with Thatcher's determination to adopt neoliberalism, and that was when the Tories began seriously dissing the Labour party with  easy-to- remember disparaging 'soundbites' rather than argument. Before then they had at least been respectful. 

It was Thatcher's agenda to change the economy from a manufacturing based, to a money-market based economy. which she knew would result in mass unemployment so the people had to be brainwashed into accepting it. Unions were vilified and Labour were constantly called left wing and 'unelectable.' That idea stuck in the minds of the populace so it became a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Tony Blair and his 'New Labour' was actually the first time the Labour party wasn't the so called 'left-wing,' who stood up for the interests of the working man, but let's face it, he and his cabinet colleagues (with the odd exception) were as much Oxbridge millionaires as the Tory party and happily making a mint.

This is when we ceased to have a two party system,  but instead had one party (neoliberals) just masquerading as two.

Any future Labour leaders had to be of neoliberal bent to stand a chance of winning or the Tories would trash them and hound them out. However the neoliberal policy of deregulation got a bit sticky in the inevitable 2008 crash. The rich were rich enough to survive and profit from it, but the ordinary people had to pay the price with 'austerity. People were not happy and began looking for a champion.

The result was the rise of Jeremy Corbyn, not a neoliberal, and impervious to blackmail. He was saying all the things that the public were thinking, and putting into words all the strategies that would redress the balance, so it was imperative they had to shut him up. They went into overdrive and embarked on a massive media hatchet job, and a character assassination of Corbyn himself. 

It worked.

We now have Starmer, a neoliberal to the core, not a Labourite. He may well be allowed to get elected next time. But what good is that? He will have no interest in helping to the working man, only helping the rich get richer. He will follow the same neoliberal agenda as the Tories: deregulation, privatization, job insecurity, less state provision, and austerity.

If you think it's bad now, just wait a few years....  

In relation to Trump, the Americans have just worked it out; they too have an elite one party neoliberal system and no choice. That's working out well isn't it?

Edited by Anna B

Every Labour leader has been subject to negative, paid for vilification by  media owners who represent and act on behalf of...

The Labour Party and its supporters must accept that.

Leaders are too easy a target and the media will win every 'beauty contest' for the Tories. This is made easier if the leadership  of the party provides the ammunition the form of mixed messages.

Labour does not win an election  with attractive leaders or popular policies, it wins when a tired, split and conceited Tory party upsets the electorate. Vitally important at that stage is that the Labour party has to have an electable leadership with policies that are not perceived as damaging or radical. With a sufficient majority and a united party, structural policies can be introduced that will improve the economic situation of the majority.

The Tories greatest tactic has been the ability to persuade the majority of people that they are "well off" when clearly they are not and to be 'scared' that their limited assets will be taken off them by Labour.

This group has been targeted and squeezed by unfair taxation in the form of VAT, NI, fuel, insurance, travel, etc providing the money for the accelerating profits and number of billionaires- yet still vote Tory. Why?

History tells us repeatedly thatthe ideology of Benn, Foot or Corbyn does not win elections.

Only about 90 hours left of the Trump  Administration.

Down to the lowest approval rating yet ,29 percent.( Reported on Fox "news"

Obama left with a 60 % rating for what it's worth.

His denial of basic science has helped the pandemic rack up 400,000 deaths and his justice Department is on a killing spree with Federal prisoners.

Those unfunded tax cuts have help drive the national debt up to the 3rd highest in US history and will take decades to reduce.

Edited by butlers

Sums up Trump and his family to a T - taking the Abraham Lincoln bust from the White House.

Ert9GapWMBYag_J?format=jpg&name=large

Trump farewell: 'We did what we came here to do'

Congratulations 400,000 and counting

Edited by nikki-red

3 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Trump farewell: 'We did what we came here to do'

Congratulations 400,000 and counting

Just don't mention the Mexico wall.  

Apparently trump has followed one tradition and left a note, any thought  on what it says? 

I'd hope something like 'im sorry for everything' 

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Just don't mention the Mexico wall.  

Apparently, the pardon which Trump issued to Bannon does not extend to Bannon's running that Wall-building donations fraud, about which the State court can still indict him.

Delighted.

18 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Apparently trump has followed one tradition and left a note, any thought  on what it says? 

'I still won bigly, you fraud'

Edited by L00b

36 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

"I realise now that I had the money and the opportunity to address my dysfunctional upbringing in therapy, to try to become a less damaged and narcissistic nightmare personality to the benefit of all around me, but that I wasted that opportunity and for that you all have to suffer not just me but Eric and Ivanka as well. You'll just have to hope that our dynastic fertility declines over time. Good luck, Donald"

With spelling mistakes though, obviously.

Edited by Delbow

31 minutes ago, L00b said:

Apparently, the pardon which Trump issued to Bannon does not extend to Bannon's running that Wall-building donations fraud, about which the State court can still indict him

Presidential pardons only apply to federal crimes, state crimes and civil cases are still able to go on.

I don't know what he was pardoned for exactly but accepting one is  generally taken as an admission of guilt which you would expect to make related state and civil cases easier to prosecute. 

You also apparently, lose the ability to hide behind the 5th amendment, I guess only in relation to the pardoned crimes. 

Not entirely sure MrBannon has got the best of this deal.

Time will tell :)