Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Mr Trump - All discussion here

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Twitter initially  suspended Donald Trump for 12 hours.  After the suspension ended Donald Trump  tweeted he was not attending the inauguration and made references  to the election result which he disputes. I don't believe not respecting the Presidential Election result or attending the inauguration as inciting  his supporters to go rioting or doing other lawless behaviour.  I don't support how Donald Trump has behaved but I agree with him that Twitter are preventing free speech by banning him.

 

The truth is Donald Trump has got his fingers burnt because of his lack of respect for democracy.  Donald Trump never told anyone to invade the Capitol Building and to engage in acts of vandalism.  

He didn't directly incite violence, but whether he is guilty of the criminal offence of incitement remains to be seen. It is valid to note the timing of his social media bans, essentially they've banned him now because  he can't take revenge on them, they let him lie and spread his support for white supremacists while he was in a position to limit their profits. There is no great moral decision here, it's just convenience. They want to be seen to be on the right side but it's fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

He didn't directly incite violence, but whether he is guilty of the criminal offence of incitement remains to be seen. It is valid to note the timing of his social media bans, essentially they've banned him now because  he can't take revenge on them, they let him lie and spread his support for white supremacists while he was in a position to limit their profits. There is no great moral decision here, it's just convenience. They want to be seen to be on the right side but it's fake.

I agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the same thinking that's behind people like Nike putting Colin Kaepernick in an ad - you had all these racists saying they were going to boycott Nike, but Nike had already worked out there was more money to be made from people sympathetic to Kaepernick than there was from racists. It wasn't that they actually cared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

You make some valid points.

 

The truth is Twitter wouldn't have banned Donald Trump if he had won the election.  

They wouldn't have banned him if he hadn't mobilised and encouraged at riot inside the capitol building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Delbow said:

He didn't directly incite violence, but whether he is guilty of the criminal offence of incitement remains to be seen. It is valid to note the timing of his social media bans, essentially they've banned him now because  he can't take revenge on them, they let him lie and spread his support for white supremacists while he was in a position to limit their profits. There is no great moral decision here, it's just convenience. They want to be seen to be on the right side but it's fake.

"Correct"

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

It's the same thinking that's behind people like Nike putting Colin Kaepernick in an ad - you had all these racists saying they were going to boycott Nike, but Nike had already worked out there was more money to be made from people sympathetic to Kaepernick than there was from racists. It wasn't that they actually cared.

"Also correct"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Delbow said:

He didn't directly incite violence, but whether he is guilty of the criminal offence of incitement remains to be seen. It is valid to note the timing of his social media bans, essentially they've banned him now because  he can't take revenge on them, they let him lie and spread his support for white supremacists while he was in a position to limit their profits. There is no great moral decision here, it's just convenience. They want to be seen to be on the right side but it's fake.

Which is a sad state of affairs in itself. I'd be surprised if Nike didn't give fox news a chunk of advertising money every year which should be incompatible with both parties PR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Twitter initially  suspended Donald Trump for 12 hours.  After the suspension ended Donald Trump  tweeted he was not attending the inauguration and made references  to the election result which he disputes. I don't believe not respecting the Presidential Election result or attending the inauguration as inciting  his supporters to go rioting or doing other lawless behaviour.  I don't support how Donald Trump has behaved but I agree with him that Twitter are preventing free speech by banning him.

 

The truth is Donald Trump has got his fingers burnt because of his lack of respect for democracy.  Donald Trump never told anyone to invade the Capitol Building and to engage in acts of vandalism.  

Quite a few people have been muttering about free speech. I don't really see how getting banned from Twitter has anything to do with free speech - I thought this cartoon summed it up nicely :

 

freespeech.jpg

 

Also - I'm fairly sure he has a fully staffed press-room just down the corridor from his living room if he needs to say anything publicly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

They wouldn't have banned him if he hadn't mobilised and encouraged at riot inside the capitol building.

He didn't tell anyone to riot either inside or outside the Capitol Building.  As I stated earlier Donald Trump got his fingers burnt because of his disrespect for democracy.  Any World leader of a democratic country is playing with fire if they don't respect an election result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

He didn't tell anyone to riot either inside or outside the Capitol Building.  As I stated earlier Donald Trump got his fingers burnt because of his disrespect for democracy.  Any World leader of a democratic country is playing with fire if they don't respect an election result.

Trumps actions go a bit beyond disrespecting an election result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Quite a few people have been muttering about free speech. I don't really see how getting banned from Twitter has anything to do with free speech - I thought this cartoon summed it up nicely :

 

Also - I'm fairly sure he has a fully staffed press-room just down the corridor from his living room if he needs to say anything publicly?

It's ironic that the Republicans made a big thing about ensuring companies could refuse to provide a service to anyone for any reason. Of course they were supporting people not wanting to make cakes for gay people but the exact same laws they enacted to enable that means there's no defence against Twitter, et. al, from banning Trump and his acolytes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, altus said:

It's ironic that the Republicans made a big thing about ensuring companies could refuse to provide a service to anyone for any reason. Of course they were supporting people not wanting to make cakes for gay people but the exact same laws they enacted to enable that means there's no defence against Twitter, et. al, from banning Trump and his acolytes.

Clearly they need this spelling out, in icing, on a big gay cake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, West 77 said:

You make some valid points.

 

The truth is Twitter wouldn't have banned Donald Trump if he had won the election.  

Not entirely sure they wouldn't have. 

 

I believe that as a matter of policy they give important world figures a lot more leeway than the average person though there must be a limit and sedition seems to be one of them. 

 

Had he continued to post after leaving office in the same way as before then he more than likely would have been banned.

 

At the end of the day Twitter is a private organisation and can choose who they do business with like any other business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.