Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Mr Trump - All discussion here

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, L00b said:

Can I take it that you are aware of Andrew Neil's "GB News", Britain's very own Fox News-alike green-lit with Legatum's £60m investment this week?

Not aware, but not surprised as it slots right into my narrative.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Thank you for a thoughtful post (and thought-provoking for some, hopefully).

Thanks!  For a bit of light relief, here is a comic strip about the nice kind of anarchists:

https://existentialcomics.com/comic/247

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Last night was the US 21st century version of Germany's 20th century Beer Hall putsch. And it's looking like it was planned, there are several geolocated and timestamped shots of different insurrectionists with 'Civil War 6 January' hoodies doing the  rounds. Which begs still more questions about the Capitol security lapses.

Too many good men are doing nothing. 

All I can say is I hope you're wrong, but it's not looking promising, with a majority of Republicans (voters and legislators) believing (or affecting to believe) that the election was 'stolen'.  Once you've been lured down that rabbit hole, it's almost impossible to find your way out again.

Edited by CaptainSwing

Also, the US system is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. In the presidential election a person in Wyoming's vote is three times more influential than someone in California. I don't know how difficult constitutional reform is in the US, but while they control both houses the Dems need to try to find a way to even things out or they'll be history.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Also, the US system is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. In the presidential election a person in Wyoming's vote is three times more influential than someone in California. I don't know how difficult constitutional reform is in the US, but while they control both houses the Dems need to try to find a way to even things out or they'll be history.

Heard talk on "International Skeptics Forum" of Democrats making Puerto Rico and DC fully fledged states.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Heard talk on "International Skeptics Forum" of Democrats making Puerto Rico and DC fully fledged states.

I did not know about that forum but it looks very interesting - thanks for the tip off

Maybe 80 college votes each? 😉

Edited by Delbow

2 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

All I can say is I hope you're wrong, but it's not looking promising, with a majority of Republicans (voters and legislators) believing (or affecting to believe) that the election was 'stolen'.  Once you've been lured down that rabbit hole, it's almost impossible to find your way out again.

Because it's so dark that you don't know that you've left the fluffy bunnies behind and got into the rats nest and snake pit.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

According to a CNN report I read, the Washington, DC Mayor, Muriel Bowser, has called for the incoming administration to approve statehood for the national capital, and to transfer command of the DC National Guard from the POTUS and put it under the command and control of the Mayor of DC.

8 hours ago, The Joker said:

I always thought if the US govt was a cover for a bunch of satanic paedophiles, then Trump would be in charge of them.

I'm amazed no QAnon followers have given this any thought.

https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/publication/attachments/POIs of Interest_1.7.21.pdf

The guy with the horns is Jake Angeli – known to followers as the "QAnon Shaman".

Only 12 days left for Trump, family and friends? to head for the nuclear bunker and enter the code. Hope those behind the scenes have managed to change it before the megalomaniac imploded

So under the possibility of impeachment,the call for enacting of the 25th amendment and widespread criticism,Trump has been forced to try to dissociate himself from his more rabid supporters.

It increases the chances of a more measured exit from his Presidency .

Many Republicans in office now see that their slavish support of Trump is toxic and are trying to put some distance from him.

Its a bit late in the day as he should have been called out so many times over his lies and rhetoric.

I don’t subscribe to the theory that there was a massive support for Trump as an individual.

He hijacked the Republican Party and consequently was assured of a substantial share of the vote.

It is now down to that party to put its own house back in order and consign the Trump aberration to history.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I don’t subscribe to the theory that there was a massive support for Trump as an individual.

He hijacked the Republican Party and consequently was assured of a substantial share of the vote.

It is now down to that party to put its own house back in order and consign the Trump aberration to history.

It has exposed the utter venality of a lot of Republicans, who seem to have been willing to go along with what they knew was a horror show in order to maintain their own power. I would say it's shocking, but we are seeing something similar in the UK, with cabinet posts held by people who only have them out of loyalty to Johnson, certainly not out of any real ability or talent. What happened with Trump should be a warning of where we are heading when we select politicians based on who or what they are against - or even hate - rather than on what they can actually do for us. The "govern" appears to be falling out of the concept of government. 

Edited by Delbow

Trump announces today that he won't be attending Joe Biden's inauguration, somehow don't think he'll be missed.

2 hours ago, St Petre said:

Trump announces today that he won't be attending Joe Biden's inauguration, somehow don't think he'll be missed.

as long as his rabid, radicalised fanboys / girls stay away too