Mr Trump - All discussion here

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

You make some valid points.

The truth is Twitter wouldn't have banned Donald Trump if he had won the election.  

Not entirely sure they wouldn't have. 

I believe that as a matter of policy they give important world figures a lot more leeway than the average person though there must be a limit and sedition seems to be one of them. 

Had he continued to post after leaving office in the same way as before then he more than likely would have been banned.

At the end of the day Twitter is a private organisation and can choose who they do business with like any other business.

As attention seems to be turning also to Trumps lackeys and enablers maybe social media fears being held culpable and subject to tougher regulation, hence the swift de platforming?

5 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

As attention seems to be turning also to Trumps lackeys and enablers maybe social media fears being held culpable and subject to tougher regulation, hence the swift de platforming?

No, Fox stepped back briefly but now theyre comparing the mass booting of fascists from twitter to - wait for it - kristallnacht.  

I dont have a Twitter account, and if I did I wouldn't "follow" Trump's infantile posts. 

But their decision to bar him from the system may be ominous. What would happen if they banned Biden in a couple of years just because they could.....?

5 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

I dont have a Twitter account, and if I did I wouldn't "follow" Trump's infantile posts. 

But their decision to bar him from the system may be ominous. What would happen if they banned Biden in a couple of years just because they could.....?

He could hold a press conference/do a TV interview/etc. just like Trump can do now if he wishes. The only reason Trump hasn't done any of those things is he's scared of being asked questions.

14 minutes ago, altus said:

He could hold a press conference/do a TV interview/etc. just like Trump can do now if he wishes. The only reason Trump hasn't done any of those things is he's scared of being asked questions.

Well exactly. POTUS is hardly rendered powerless if they are banned from Twitter, let's have a bit of perspective shall we

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

I'm going full Goodwins law here, but if 1933 Hitler had access to social media, would you have banned him? Do you wait until trump has prodded and poked his followers to a full on terrorist atrocity until say he's banned?

1 hour ago, altus said:

Exactamundo.

Tfh, yes I have seen the post about Kristallnacht and I was absolutely dumbstruck at the brass neck of it. Having read Speers account of the third reich years ago I draw a direct comparison with the Nazis use of the then new medias of cinema and radio and Trumps use of Twitter.

8 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Tfh, yes I have seen the post about Kristallnacht and I was absolutely dumbstruck at the brass neck of it. Having read Speers account of the third reich years ago I draw a direct comparison with the Nazis use of the then new medias of cinema and radio and Trumps use of Twitter.

A Wikipedia article here examines some similarities between Hitler, Goebbels and Trump in the use of 'big lies'

8 minutes ago, Delbow said:

A Wikipedia article here examines some similarities between Hitler, Goebbels and Trump in the use of 'big lies'

I'm no fan of Trump and have previously posted how shocked I was when someone so unsuitable was elected as President, but to imply there are similarities with him and two mass murderers responsible for the most appalling crimes in history is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, janie48 said:

I'm no fan of Trump and have previously posted how shocked I was when someone so unsuitable was elected as President, but to imply there are similarities with him and two mass murderers responsible for the most appalling crimes in history is ridiculous. 

You're comparing 1938  - 1945 Hitler to trump. I'm comparing 1935 Hitler to trump.  You look how they both manipulate their followers and have a guess on what he'd do if - and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence some of his followers would have done it - they'd have lynched Pelosi? 

EDIT: he's still not dialing back the rhetoric, and we might not have heard the last of it.

BBC News - Capitol riots: FBI warnings amid fears of more pro-Trump violence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55625707

Edited by tinfoilhat

Impeachment when Trump is almost out the door? In any environment just plain dumb. In this environment cataclysmic!

The Democrats have undermined democracy in their incessant inability to accept Trump as the lawfully elected president for his entire term, trashing institutions, traditions and politicizing arms of government along the way, their condescension for the electorate and confected outrage so transparent. Their silence during the BLM uprisings of killings, lootings and burning of cities more condemning than anything they can throw at Trump.

So false, and now as they have sown the seeds with their imperious shenanigans, they are about to reap the whirlwind. 

And the Democrats 'teenager response' showing the complete lack of political maturity pointing fingers in all directions instead where it should be: placing the responsibility for what is unfolding squarely at their own feet. Trump hasn't helped but the Democrats wrote the script and set the scenes and this is their play on stage now we're now witnessing. They own it!

Their obsession with Trump has thrown commonsense out the door, and makes a complete mockery of Biden's bleatings of 'healing' and 'unifying' the nation. Wasn't it a week ago when he was pushing 'enough is enough"? 

It really begs the question about their ability to rule the nation with asinine judgement such a this in full flight, and proves that anything Biden says you take with a pinch of salt, and that the adults are no longer in charge.

The future now looks bleak indeed. With a weak, deeply divided and angry USA forced again to yet another 4 years of introspective government,  the Chinese will have a field day.