Mr Trump - All discussion here

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

As the topic is about Donald Trump

Indeed, and it's Donald Trump who wants to the UK to pay more for it's medicines, hence the relevance of that question you're desperately avoiding :?

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

God Bless Donald Trump for the dignified way he has behaved  during his recent State visit.

Amen to that, totally out of character! :hihi:

58 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Anyone can look at what the prices are in the US compared to the UK.

Trump is on record saying he believes US consumers are subsidising other nations and wants their prices to go up.

I haven't seen anyone suggesting prices will be going down, quite the opposite.

No, well.. apart from the first sentence of the post you initally replied to... the one with a ? at the end :?

Because you're so special.... "If they had any intention of supplying them at half the price, why aren't they already to their US customers?"

For a couple reasons,  the US does the bulk of R&D for new drugs and they need to recoup that cost from somewhere.  And because they can get away with charging us more, that's why. 

The drug companies want more money. The American public is about tapped out, now they (aided by our president) are coming after those countries who benefit from the drugs America pays to develop.

I think your costs are going to go up. It will start small. The metaphor of the camel with his nose under the tent comes to mind.  If I were a British person, I would fight this tooth and nail. 

16 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Indeed, and it's Donald Trump who wants to the UK to pay more for it's medicines, hence the relevance of that question you're desperately avoiding :?

Amen to that, totally out of character! :hihi:

All Donald Trump has stated is  that the NHS  would be on the table in a future post Brexit trade negotiation with the UK.   Woody Johnson, America’s ambassador to the Court of St James, thinks that the NHS would be on the table in a future post-Brexit negotiation.  Woody Johnson also stated millions of UK citizens visit America every year and he has never heard of any UK citizens complaining about chickens during their visits to America.  

21 minutes ago, Sierra said:

For a couple reasons,  the US does the bulk of R&D for new drugs and they need to recoup that cost from somewhere.  And because they can get away with charging us more, that's why.

I'm not sure an industry funded organisation is the best source of impartial information about why drugs cost so much. ;) You don't get car manufacturers claiming they do most of their development in country X so they have to charge more for their products in that country. Why would the drugs industry be different?

I suspect your "because they can" point is the real reason.

47 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Thank you nikki-red for attempting to restore order to the discussion.  

As the topic is about Donald Trump , God Bless Donald Trump for the dignified way he has behaved  during his recent State visit.

Has he managed to do it without telling any lies?

6 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Not if the interview with piers Morgan is anything to go by. Apparently the NHS isn't on the table. Both statements can't be true.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

Not if the interview with piers Morgan is anything to go by. Apparently the NHS isn't on the table. Both statements can't be true.

Wasn't it on the table yesterday?

11 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

What lies do you think he has told?

34 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

All Donald Trump has stated is  that the NHS  would be on the table in a future post Brexit trade negotiation with the UK.   Woody Johnson, America’s ambassador to the Court of St James, thinks that the NHS would be on the table in a future post-Brexit negotiation.

He also said he wants the UK to pay more for medicines to offset the cost to Americans :?

Woody Johnson also stated millions of UK citizens visit America every year and he has never heard of any UK citizens complaining about chickens during their visits to America.  

Just to state the obvious, you know chicken isn't medicine... right? :hihi:

.. but also, why would he? Is he serving them in restaurants?

Edited by Magilla

23 minutes ago, Magilla said:

He also said he wants the UK to pay more for medicines to offset the cost to Americans :?

So what? I expect NHS buyers of drugs to source drugs from any where in the World to give UK taxpayers the best deal which can be found. If US drugs are more expensive than the same drugs that can be bought from other countries I don't see any reason why the US drugs company will receive the business instead of more competitive drug companies which are not located in America.  

54 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Wasn't it on the table yesterday?

It was yesterday, but I was reliably informed by retep that in an interview with piers Morgan today that it's off today.

The guardian agrees!

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2019/jun/05/trump-takes-nhs-off-the-table-in-trade-talks-video

Thursday is a different day, and when we get to negotiations, they will be very very very different again.

47 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

So what? I expect NHS buyers of drugs to source drugs from any where in the World to give UK taxpayers the best deal which can be found.

Getting the best deal for UK taxpayers isn't what any deal will be about, particularly since the UK is the weaker partner.

Significantly more so as a result of Brexit...

America First... remember? :roll:

Edited by Magilla