Mr Trump - All discussion here

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I am no Trump supporter but Mahatma Gandhi said 'If there is an idiot in power it means those who elected him are well represented.' And that I think sums up what this is about. An awful lot of people feel they are not represented by the 'normal' politicians who are corrupt and live in a different world to them, so they go for outsiders: in this case,Trump. He promised to 'drain the swamp' and that's what people wanted to hear. He's a rich, powerful man, they believed he could do it. They believe he was stopped by fraudulent means. 

There is no doubt in my mind that politics is a dirty business and needs a thorough clean up. Once in power manifestos are abandoned and promises broken. Croneyism and jobs for the boys abound. There is fraud and dishonesty aplenty, and cover ups. Money is king and rules the system. Vested interests are kept in power. The system does not represent the people and it seems there is little that can legally be done to change it. A vote changes nothing when the system is rotten. That is not Democracy.  Are all these people attacking democracy or defending it? 

Some reports said hundreds of thousands of people were involved, and that's just the ones that turned up to demonstrate. That's a lot of people, and not all nutters.

Trump might be a bad man, but even when a good, strong, honest man, but an outsider, stands up wanting to represent 'the people,' he is also branded a nutter, a joke, a marxist, and so on, and his supporters are similarly diminished with slanderous slurs. You know of whom I speak.... He still has an enormous following of people who feel their views are not represented, but they do know how the media distorts the facts and ruins reputations. 

People might not agree with this appraisal, but there is a crisis in the world. Things need to change on many fronts. Somebody somewhere has to address it, and soon.

You're saying that those who quite literally stormed the capitol building, aren't all nutters? 

I'm at a loss.

41 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I always thought if the US govt was a cover for a bunch of satanic paedophiles, then Trump would be in charge of them.

I'm amazed no QAnon followers have given this any thought.

Not defending QAnon but having watched 50 odd year old Ming Na in The Mandolorian there might be something in it. I'd check Liz Hurleys fridge too.

Also worth pointing out that Charles Manson never killed anyone and he's still in prison.

Posts have been removed, this is not the Brexit thread, nor will there be any further warning about insulting other users. Accounts will simply be suspended.

7 hours ago, The Joker said:

I don't recall  armed gangs of Leave voters marching into the Houses of Parliament, demanding BoJo fulfil his election lie to give £350 milion a week to the NHS?

Maybe I missed it

they are doing it in a responsible socially distanced way, so it will take some time

32 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

(...)

This idea has been relentlessly pushed by dark money, billionaire media moguls, 'conservative think tanks', silicon valley libertarians etc. etc.  The kind of people who think William Rees Mogg's 'sovereign individual' is a great idea, as opposed to a dystopian nightmare.  Be afraid, folks, be very afraid.

Can I take it that you are aware of Andrew Neil's "GB News", Britain's very own Fox News-alike green-lit with Legatum's £60m investment this week?

Thank you for a thoughtful post (and thought-provoking for some, hopefully).

Last night was the US 21st century version of Germany's 20th century Beer Hall putsch. And it's looking like it was planned, there are several geolocated and timestamped shots of different insurrectionists with 'Civil War 6 January' hoodies doing the  rounds. Which begs still more questions about the Capitol security lapses.

Too many good men are doing nothing. 

Edited by L00b

Also, the US system is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. In the presidential election a person in Wyoming's vote is three times more influential than someone in California. I don't know how difficult constitutional reform is in the US, but while they control both houses the Dems need to try to find a way to even things out or they'll be history.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Also, the US system is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. In the presidential election a person in Wyoming's vote is three times more influential than someone in California. I don't know how difficult constitutional reform is in the US, but while they control both houses the Dems need to try to find a way to even things out or they'll be history.

Heard talk on "International Skeptics Forum" of Democrats making Puerto Rico and DC fully fledged states.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Heard talk on "International Skeptics Forum" of Democrats making Puerto Rico and DC fully fledged states.

I did not know about that forum but it looks very interesting - thanks for the tip off

Maybe 80 college votes each? 😉

Edited by Delbow

2 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

All I can say is I hope you're wrong, but it's not looking promising, with a majority of Republicans (voters and legislators) believing (or affecting to believe) that the election was 'stolen'.  Once you've been lured down that rabbit hole, it's almost impossible to find your way out again.

Because it's so dark that you don't know that you've left the fluffy bunnies behind and got into the rats nest and snake pit.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

According to a CNN report I read, the Washington, DC Mayor, Muriel Bowser, has called for the incoming administration to approve statehood for the national capital, and to transfer command of the DC National Guard from the POTUS and put it under the command and control of the Mayor of DC.

8 hours ago, The Joker said:

I always thought if the US govt was a cover for a bunch of satanic paedophiles, then Trump would be in charge of them.

I'm amazed no QAnon followers have given this any thought.

https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/publication/attachments/POIs of Interest_1.7.21.pdf

The guy with the horns is Jake Angeli – known to followers as the "QAnon Shaman".