Mr Trump - All discussion here

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I don't recall  armed gangs of Leave voters marching into the Houses of Parliament, demanding BoJo fulfil his election lie to give £350 milion a week to the NHS?

Maybe I missed it

Yeah I think the Bake Off final was on, loads of us missed it.

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The American Presidential elections are normally very close with a much smaller percentage gap between the winner and loser than the EU referendum result. The only thing that has changed in America is one man who refuses to accept the democratic choice the American people made and the one man is the defeated President.  Democracy works well when the losers accept the democratic choice their own people make.  It has to be said that Donald Trump and members of the rogue UK parliament that blocked the implementation of the EU referendum result have tarnished democracy in their respective countries which only helps the powerful dictatorships of Russia and China.

They weren't blocking it they were arguing over the terms (which were not specified during the referendum) - just as the members of the ERG were. If the ERG hadn't blocked May's deal Brexit would have gone through much earlier.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Wow.

Any thoughts on how last night's events were distorted through the media? I mean there were a few singing a different tune to the rest of us - keunesberg called it "scuffles". The lies i saw last night were from Donald trump, hes still claiming he won be a landslide. Most of the republican party have turned their backs on him now. I'm amazed you're trying to see another point of view when that point of view carries a confederate flag and wears camp Auschwitz t shirts. What view am I missing from that lot?

I am no Trump supporter but Mahatma Gandhi said 'If there is an idiot in power it means those who elected him are well represented.' And that I think sums up what this is about. An awful lot of people feel they are not represented by the 'normal' politicians who are corrupt and live in a different world to them, so they go for outsiders: in this case,Trump. He promised to 'drain the swamp' and that's what people wanted to hear. He's a rich, powerful man, they believed he could do it. They believe he was stopped by fraudulent means. 

There is no doubt in my mind that politics is a dirty business and needs a thorough clean up. Once in power manifestos are abandoned and promises broken. Croneyism and jobs for the boys abound. There is fraud and dishonesty aplenty, and cover ups. Money is king and rules the system. Vested interests are kept in power. The system does not represent the people and it seems there is little that can legally be done to change it. A vote changes nothing when the system is rotten. That is not Democracy.  Are all these people attacking democracy or defending it? 

Some reports said hundreds of thousands of people were involved, and that's just the ones that turned up to demonstrate. That's a lot of people, and not all nutters.

Trump might be a bad man, but even when a good, strong, honest man, but an outsider, stands up wanting to represent 'the people,' he is also branded a nutter, a joke, a marxist, and so on, and his supporters are similarly diminished with slanderous slurs. You know of whom I speak.... He still has an enormous following of people who feel their views are not represented, but they do know how the media distorts the facts and ruins reputations. 

People might not agree with this appraisal, but there is a crisis in the world. Things need to change on many fronts. Somebody somewhere has to address it, and soon.

Edited by Anna B

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Are all these people attacking democracy or defending it? 

To anyone of sane mind, they are attacking it.

If they believe the election was rigged now would be a good time for Trump to present his evidence.  If the QAnon theory is correct wouldn't now be a good time for Trump to act?  He has done neither.

Still, always good to see you crow-bar in your own interpretation of neoliberalism and imply all would be well in the world if Corbyn-alikes were in charge.  

Edited by Arnold_Lane

There is something seriously wrong with the American political system, when a sitting president can incite mob violence resulting in the storming of Congress and the deaths of 5 people; and get away with it scot free.

Did any protesters get arrested ????..

7 minutes ago, Box11 said:

Did any protesters get arrested ????..

Fifty-odd if I heard right on the radio this morning.

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think it's very complicated, with different factions and agendas, and a distorted media input, but people are very angry.

I think we have to look at the bigger picture. It's not all about Trump. And it's not about a handful of extremists or conspiracy theorists running amock, the dissatisfaction runs deep through society., and they have lost faith in the democratic process. I think the situation in America is a result of that. The 'American Dream' is on its arse.

you have to look at why these people are running amok, and its everything to do with trump, they are hanging onto his every word and believe everything he says. HE is the one that has radicalised them with lies and his general bullcrap.

4 hours ago, Michael_W said:

4 people died, one of them a woman who was shot dead, but you won't see any outrage about that, what you see in the MSM is clearly deluding you, do you visit the US much or just an armchair expert ?

plenty of MSM outrage at it all last night and today so off your high horse

15 hours ago, whiteowl said:

One thing that jumped out at me was the police inaction. I've seen more US police action arresting an unarmed black man during a routine traffic stop than I saw on Capitol Hill tonight. Something is rotten in the USA.

i saw a tweeted picture last night from inside, a protestor was having a selfie with a cop

Enabled by Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. As Sacha Baron Cohen says, if Facebook had been around in the 1930s they would have allowed Nazi Party propaganda. Radical action needs taking against social media companies because they don't really care about the consequences of their failure to regulate their content, provided one of the consequences is more money for them.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

If the QAnon theory is correct wouldn't now be a good time for Trump to act?  He has done neither. 

I always thought if the US govt was a cover for a bunch of satanic paedophiles, then Trump would be in charge of them.

I'm amazed no QAnon followers have given this any thought.

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Enabled by Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. As Sacha Baron Cohen says, if Facebook had been around in the 1930s they would have allowed Nazi Party propaganda. Radical action needs taking against social media companies because they don't really care about the consequences of their failure to regulate their content, provided one of the consequences is more money for them.

That's a good point.

On another thread, I posted that YouTube briefly took TalkRadio off its platform (presumably because radio hosts from that station were spreading Coronavirus misinformation). Sadly, they allowed it back on, presumably because right-wing blowhards started whinging & whining.