Mr Trump - All discussion here

33 minutes ago, apelike said:

So that would be state law and as such they can decide on how they proceed themselves.

But no one is saying it should be in person only so I don't understand your argument.

Here is a link about Trump and the USPS and although you cant read the whole article without registering have a gander at the video entitled "The perils of mail in ballots."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-post-offices-problem-isnt-trump-11597360885

Well he seems like a nice balanced person

He is an advocate for more restrictive voting laws.

[2][3] He has been described as playing an influential role in making alarmism about voter fraud mainstream in the Republican Party, despite no evidence of widespread voter fraud.[4][5]

Efforts to exclude Democrats and "mainstream Republicans" from "voter fraud" commission

On February 22, 2017, Von Spakovsky sent an email arguing against the appointment of Democrats and "mainstream Republicans" to the Trump administration's Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity.[15] The email was forwarded to U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions by an aide.[15] The release of the email led civil rights leaders to call for Von Spakovsky to step down from the commission and for the commission to be disbanded.[16]

Try finding some independent reports into voter fraud in the US.

51 minutes ago, butlers said:

Close..it was 42,000 cases.

I have doubts about that number,  Florida in recent has been doing 30 per cent less testing.

59 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Trump made a massive fool of himself, having the gall to call New Zealand's surge (9 new cases) 'terrible' on Monday. The US saw 4,200 new cases the same day.

I thought 4200 sounded very very low!

# altus.

You seem to have missed out the bit in the video where he states that other places abroad and also in the USA have recently conducted personal voting successfully with social distancing in place, hand sanitiser being available and also disposable pens on hand despite coronavirus being around at the time and that was what I was mainly getting at.

I can't quote your last bit as your post was not set out right but... there are plenty of reports around confirming voter fraud has happened in the past and is not just a myth, it is also not confined to mail voting either.

Not sure how independent these two are but have a read.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/17/no-voter-fraud-isnt-myth-10-cases-where-its-all-to/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=chacka&utm_campaign=TWT+-+DSA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwdbr6Lil6wIVOYBQBh2cygclEAMYASAAEgINwfD_BwE

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud

Edited by apelike

30 minutes ago, apelike said:

Allow me to help out.

The Washington Times is an unreliable rag. It has close links to the Moonies. I believe that it is still owned by an arm of the Unification Church. As such, I’d say it isn’t a credible source of info.

Unless you like US Cults, of course. In which case, read away.

44 minutes ago, apelike said:

# altus.

You seem to have missed out the bit in the video where he states that other places abroad and also in the USA have recently conducted personal voting successfully with social distancing in place, hand sanitiser being available and also disposable pens on hand despite coronavirus being around at the time and that was what I was mainly getting at.

I can't quote your last bit as your post was not set out right but... there are plenty of reports around confirming voter fraud has happened in the past and is not just a myth, it is also not confined to mail voting either.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/17/no-voter-fraud-isnt-myth-10-cases-where-its-all-to/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=chacka&utm_campaign=TWT+-+DSA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwdbr6Lil6wIVOYBQBh2cygclEAMYASAAEgINwfD_BwE

Somebodies got the Washington Times (rag) mixed up with either the Washington Post or the New York Times.

Heritage Foundation is a pro-Trump republican organisation that appears to think the USA is under attack from radical leftists.

But if you'd visisted those sites you linked to you'd have seen that they're not independent😎

Edited by Longcol

34 minutes ago, apelike said:

# altus.

My point isn't that in person voting can't be completed successfully but that it won't be in the US. Can you imagine the reaction from Trump many voters if a state required voters to wear face masks to enter the polling stations? What about the impact of them not doing so on Democrat voters?

The forum software seems to have screwed up the quote, the last line wasn't inside the quote when I entered it and when I later tried to move it out of the quoted section it wouldn't let me.

Nobody is saying that there have been no instances of voter fraud ever. The issue is, has mail in voting fraud been a big enough issue to warrant preventing people using it this time? Remember, 25% of the US population usually vote by mail. If it is an issue why hasn't it been dealt with when those 25% vote using it? Trump's campaign is encouraging his supporters to vote by mail - they call it absentee ballots but it's the same thing. Election fraud can happen with in person voting too - look at the example I gave above of the Republican leadership in Texas removing voting sites from predominantly Democratic supporting areas.

As for your two links. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Times]The Washington Times[/url]

Throughout its history, The Washington Times has been known for its conservative political stance.[6][7][8][9] It has published many columns which reject the scientific consensuses on climate change,[10][11][12] on ozone depletion,[13] and on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke.[14][15] It has drawn controversy for publishing racist content, including commentary and conspiracy theories about U.S. President Barack Obama,[16][17] supporting neo-Confederate historical revisionism,[18][19] and promoting Islamophobia.[20]

The Heritage Foundation is a US conservative think tank. Whilst not crazy like The Washington Times, it is very much a partisan organisation.

The Heritage Foundation has been described as a major influence on the presidential transition of Donald Trump and the Trump administration.[42][43][44] The foundation had a powerful say in the staffing of the administration, with CNN noting during the transition that "no other Washington institution has that kind of footprint in the transition."[42] One reason for the Heritage Foundation's disproportionate influence relative to other conservative think tanks is that other conservative think tanks had members who identified as "never-Trumpers" during the 2016 election whereas the Heritage Foundation signaled early on to Trump that it would be supportive of him.[42][43] At least 66 foundation employees and alumni were given positions in the administration.[43]

In 2014, the Heritage Foundation began building a database of approximately 3,000 conservatives who they trusted to serve in a hypothetical Republican administration for the upcoming 2016 election.[43] According to individuals involved in crafting the database, several hundred people from the Heritage database ultimately received jobs in government agencies, including Scott Pruitt, Betsy DeVos, Mick Mulvaney, Rick Perry, Jeff Sessions and others who became members of Trump's cabinet.[43] Jim DeMint, president of the Heritage Foundation from 2013 to 2017, personally intervened on behalf of Mulvaney who would go on to head the Office of Management and Budget, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and later become acting White House Chief of Staff.[43]

The Heritage Foundation is funded by the Koch Brothers, ultra conservatives, forever pushing thier pet politicians to gut regulations and lower taxes.

Had a quick scan thru and some of those fraudulent votes go back to 2011 ,and typically are dealing with an individual vote .

I have seen it estimated it's of the region of 0.006 per cent of votes cast, so utterly insignificant but still wrong.

About half the States disbar released convicts from regaining the right to vote ,effecting multiple millions that's a bigger cause for concern. Does any other democracy do that?

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

But if you'd visisted those sites you linked to you'd have seen that they're not independent😎

But I suppose it all hinges on what people think independent means then.  

Several people on here post links to Guardian articles with their obvious anti Tory, anti Brexit and anti Cummings stance so they obviously can't be independent either and nor can the posters, so do I have to trust posters replies who are not independent and biased also?

1 hour ago, altus said:

Nobody is saying that there have been no instances of voter fraud ever. The issue is, has mail in voting fraud been a big enough issue to warrant preventing people using it this time?

But just who is trying to prevent people having postal votes this time as its the individual states that decide?

Disclaimer: This link is probably not independent..... :)

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/06/24/as-states-move-to-expand-the-practice-relatively-few-americans-have-voted-by-mail/

Funny enough I was going to post something from Pew as it seemed plain common sense.

You got me bothered enough to go read up on it and sure enough it's a non partisan charity.

Another quirk of US politics is having voting official s voted into office as party registered .

Edited by butlers

1 hour ago, apelike said:

But I suppose it all hinges on what people think independent means then.  

Several people on here post links to Guardian articles with their obvious anti Tory, anti Brexit and anti Cummings stance so they obviously can't be independent either and nor can the posters, so do I have to trust posters replies who are not independent and biased also?

But... The Moonies.

Give over.