Mr Trump - All discussion here

5 hours ago, Halibut said:

Not cancelled, postponed for very real public health concerns. The fact that she's clearly a responsible leader and not a maniac helps.

I know, I was being slightly facetious. Somebody - and I genuinely  can't remember who,  or from which side - suggested it was worth postponing the American election and was hammered for it. 

49 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Dunno if you've noticed, but there's been a bit of a bug going round.

Dunno if you have noticed that a great deal of the US public are not adhering to social distancing or the use of face coverings even though there is a bug going round. It is also possible to vote in person if it is done correctly and that is what other countries including New Zealand are doing.

27 minutes ago, apelike said:

Is it? well that's not a strawman by me as in his interview it clearly states that is what the Democrats are seeking. 

I didn't say it was your strawman, did I?

27 minutes ago, apelike said:

So on the one hand we have the USPS stating they can cope and yet on the other hand we have the idea that De Joy is asset stripping which is affecting its operation.... Mmmmm

If in any doubt, as your uh-ming suggests, maybe you'd like to inform yourself about the issue a bit more? Just a friendly suggestion, no sarc.

The Atlantic of 4 days ago is a good start.

You can then enlarge your research to what is currently happening to sorting machines at USPS depots across the US (taken outside on orders with no explanation, and left fully exposed to the elements), and the mounting volume of anecdotal evidence (with filmed and/or photo evidence) about USPS post boxes condemened or removed overnight without notice, besides USPS delivery vans flatbed'd away in the wee hours (should you feel so inclined :)).

These reports should preferably be considered in the context of DeJoy' asset reduction plan for USPS, a Powerpoint reportedly presented to the USPS board less than month after he was appointed (circa May 2020, as I recall).

Edited by L00b

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

I didn't say it was your strawman, did I?

If in any doubt, as your uh-ming suggests, maybe you'd like to inform yourself about the issue a bit more? Just a friendly suggestion, no sarc.

The Atlantic of 4 days ago is a good start.

Cheers, will give it a read.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Dunno if you have noticed that a great deal of the US public are not adhering to social distancing or the use of face coverings even though there is a bug going round. It is also possible to vote in person if it is done correctly and that is what other countries including New Zealand are doing.

So the answer is to force them to go out and vote in person, rather than making provision for a safer method?

And for those that cannot risk exposure because of underlying conditions?

Here's a link to what NZ are doing, part of which is to provide postal voting.

https://vote.nz/covid-19/covid-19/

Edited by Bargepole23

33 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

So the answer is to force them to go out and vote in person, rather than making provision for a safer method?

And who is doing or saying that? 

And for those that cannot risk exposure because of underlying conditions?

There are plenty of ways of providing safe voting without it being solely done by post as I had already pointed out in the last sentence in my post. 

Here's a link to what NZ are doing, part of which is to provide postal voting.

https://vote.nz/covid-19/covid-19/

Yes I know :huh: See my previous reply above this one. But just to add for all the New Zealand fans here their population is only 4.88 million and their land mass is much smaller so its easier and less costly to do.

Edited by apelike

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

And who is doing or saying that? 

There are plenty of ways of providing safe voting without it being solely done by post as I had already pointed out in the last sentence in my post. 

Yes I know :huh: See my previous reply above this one. But just to add for all the New Zealand fans here their population is only 4.88 million and their land mass is much smaller so its easier and less costly to do.

Potential ways to make voting in person safe are meaningless unless the US authorities implement those measures. So far, the only in person voting thing I've seen is reducing the number of voting places because of a shortage of staff to operate them (they are typically retired older people who understandably don't want to mix with lots of people at the moment) which is the exact opposite of what you'd want.

50 minutes ago, altus said:

Potential ways to make voting in person safe are meaningless unless the US authorities implement those measures.

I believe it's up to the individual state to determine the way voting is held in that state and at the moment only 4 states have mail in voting so it's up to them not the US authorities (assuming you mean Federal Law) to decide. I don't think many are in favour of the mail in system on its own.

Edited by apelike

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

I believe it's up to the individual state to determine the way voting is held in that state and at the moment only 4 states have mail in voting so it's up to them not the US authorities (assuming you mean Federal Law) to decide. I don't think many are in favour of the mail in system on its own.

No, I meant the authorities responsible for the various election districts.

Providing mail in voting for everyone who wants it is not the same as only providing for mail in voting. Only allowing somebody to vote in person is forcing them to choose between risking their health and voting. Especially during a pandemic, that can hardly be described as democratic - particularly if the closing of polling sites has been targetted at the supporters of one party.

Trump made a massive fool of himself, having the gall to call New Zealand's surge (9 new cases) 'terrible' on Monday. The US saw 4,200 new cases the same day.

Close..it was 42,000 cases.

I have doubts about that number,  Florida in recent has been doing 30 per cent less testing.

45 minutes ago, altus said:

No, I meant the authorities responsible for the various election districts.

So that would be state law and as such they can decide on how they proceed themselves.

Providing mail in voting for everyone who wants it is not the same as only providing for mail in voting. Only allowing somebody to vote in person is forcing them to choose between risking their health and voting. Especially during a pandemic, that can hardly be described as democratic - particularly if the closing of polling sites has been targetted at the supporters of one party.

But no one is saying it should be in person only so I don't understand your argument.

Here is a link about Trump and the USPS and although you cant read the whole article without registering have a gander at the video entitled "The perils of mail in ballots."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-post-offices-problem-isnt-trump-11597360885

Edited by apelike