Mr Trump - All discussion here

33 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Is he as bad as Bush though?

I say no

Are you joking? 

The big big difference is that Bush projected US aggression outwards, fulfilling a traditional role in world affairs. I detest what Bush did but at least the US remained stable and internally peaceful.

Trump instead is turning the aggression inwards, on US citizens too. That will only destabilise the country and an unstable US is something  not seen since the 1860s. 

This is going to end very badly. Hopefully for Trump before he causes any more damage.

Edited by I1L2T3

Is the US renaming internally peaceful more important to you than the up to 2 million people that Bush slaughtered?

Trump is a nasty, stupid piece of work, but Bush is a mass murdering war criminal.q

20 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

No, I commented on a cartoon and asked someone the opinion of the cartoon.

What on earth makes you think that I just shared someone else's interpretation?

Oh dear. 

Because the attributed "quotes" on the cartoon are someone else's interpetation!  Come on James,  you seem to be having trouble with your own language...

Ooh.  I wonder...

My interpretation is that it was probably anti-semitic.  This is based on her using the word celebrated, and her accusing Jewish Americans  of lacking loyalty to America.

Your analogy, highlighting the small difference between slapping and punching is absurd.  We are talking about someone who said they celebrated the holocaust and that it made them feel calm.  This happened in one speech.

You think it is easy to use the word celebrated when thinking about the holocaust?  I have only ever come across extreme anti semites using celebrated in relation to the holocaust.  Can you give me some examples of this easy thing please?

Again, you seem to be struggling with meaning here.

I'll give it one more try but, after this, I'm adopting Einstein's stance so I hope you can manage to understand.  I'll utilise two different approaches to help facilitate your success.

We have a big event, every year, with lots of activities, to raise awareness of the Holocaust.  The involvement, participation and inclusion of so many people may lead a given person to describe it as a celebration.  I would imagine, though, that, like the woman in question, on using that word most people would think to themself "wait a minute ... celebration?" and then go on to qualify what they meant.  Just like she did.

I looked on a thesaurus site for synonyms for the word celebrate and, among the "happy ones" were the following.

Commemorate.  

Honour.

Mark.

Recognise.

Acknowledge.

Remember.

Memorialize.

And, if you're still unable to understand, here are some antonyms:

Deny.

Ignore.

Forget.

Overlook.

Disregard.

So, hopefully I have helped increase your grasp of the nuances of our language.  (Bit of cheeky cleverness in there for the more advanced readers!)

2 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Oh dear. 

Because the attributed "quotes" on the cartoon are someone else's interpetation!  Come on James,  you seem to be having trouble with your own language...

Ooh.  I wonder...

Again, you seem to be struggling with meaning here.

I'll give it one more try but, after this, I'm adopting Einstein's stance so I hope you can manage to understand.  I'll utilise two different approaches to help facilitate your success.

We have a big event, every year, with lots of activities, to raise awareness of the Holocaust.  The involvement, participation and inclusion of so many people may lead a given person to describe it as a celebration.  I would imagine, though, that, like the woman in question, on using that word most people would think to themself "wait a minute ... celebration?" and then go on to qualify what they meant.  Just like she did.

I looked on a thesaurus site for synonyms for the word celebrate and, in amongst the "happy" ones were the following:

Commemorate.  

Honour.

Mark.

Recognise.

Acknowledge.

Remember.

Memorialize.

And, if you're still unable to understand, here are some antonyms:

Deny.

Ignore.

Forget.

Overlook.

Disregard.

So, hopefully I have helped increase your grasp of the nuances of our language.  (Bit of cheeky cleverness in there for the more advanced readers!)

Edited by Lockjaw

If you think the word celebrate is ok, as in celebrating the holocaust, this fine.  I don't.  We are permitted different opinions you know.

I don't like the tone of the speech, and when you take into account her previous (suggesting Jewish Americans aren't loyal to the country), it certainly paints a picture to me.

You are free to disagree.

Think about it like this.  If someone who had questioned the loyalty of Muslim Brits before, said in a speech that they were celebrating the mosque van attack, am I correct in assuming you wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt?  I would think "hey that sounds pretty Islamophobic to me", but you, being all consistent and definitely not an apologist for anti semitism would tell me I am wrong?

1 hour ago, JamesR123 said:

If you think the word celebrate is ok, as in celebrating the holocaust, this fine.  I don't.  We are permitted different opinions you know.

I don't like the tone of the speech, and when you take into account her previous (suggesting Jewish Americans aren't loyal to the country), it certainly paints a picture to me.

You are free to disagree.

Think about it like this.  If someone who had questioned the loyalty of Muslim Brits before, said in a speech that they were celebrating the mosque van attack, am I correct in assuming you wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt?  I would think "hey that sounds pretty Islamophobic to me", but you, being all consistent and definitely not an apologist for anti semitism would tell me I am wrong?

Ha ha!

You managed to move from me providing you with a full transcript of a misrepresented statement which, if read in full, renders the context of one word completely clear to implying that I am an anti-semitism apologist.

I admire the work you're doing here, James, but I refer you to my Einstein comment above.

[Predicted response from James:   "Ah, miss, miss, he said it's above when it's actually on a previous page"

Miss throws dictionary of literary terms at James and says "STOP. CALLING. ME. MISS! ]

It isn't just the one word as I keep explaining and you keep ignoring.  Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Thing with Trump is the more extreme he gets the more he appeals to his followers and the more those who dislike him dislike him.Having spent some time travelling in the states the Republicans seem much more right wing than conservatives here.

18 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Thing with Trump is the more extreme he gets the more he appeals to his followers and the more those who dislike him dislike him.Having spent some time travelling in the states the Republicans seem much more right wing than conservatives here.

As indeed are the Democrats.

The problem Trump has is that there is a maximum number of poorly educated rednecks to win him a second term. To win, he needs to starts appealing more to the middle ground. At the moment he is horrifying and terrifying that middle ground in equal measure.

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

As indeed are the Democrats.

The problem Trump has is that there is a maximum number of poorly educated rednecks to win him a second term. To win, he needs to starts appealing more to the middle ground. At the moment he is horrifying and terrifying that middle ground in equal measure.

But you know what, the loudest representatives of democrats are equally horrifying to the middle ground. So don't be surprised if in the end Trump scoops a significant amount of them.

Edited by Branyy

Massive 'caught out in a lie' moment of the week from the Liar-in-Chief was when he was asked about the 'send her back' chants. The racist moron claimed that he ''started speaking very quickly'' in an effort to stop the chants.

This is clearly a big old fashioned barefaced lie as it was a full thirteen seconds that he stood there silently, doubtlessly enjoying himself enormously, while the chants continued.

What an odious excuse for a man.

1 hour ago, Branyy said:

But you know what, the loudest representatives of democrats are equally horrifying to the middle ground. So don't be surprised if in the end Trump scoops a significant amount of them.

The loudest representatives of the democrats are not running for President  in 2020.