Mr Trump - All discussion here

Hmm I am in two minds about the meaning of her speech.  It can be read either way.  The inclusion  of the word celebrated does add some weight to an unkind reading.

Added to this she also questioned the loyalty of mostly Jewish politicians supporting a Senate bill accusing them of forgetting the country they represent.

However, it could just be a very badly worded version of what you claim.

I was aware of the full quote and almost published it but it is quite long.

11 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Hmm I am in two minds about the meaning of her speech.  It can be read either way. 

Agreed.  It can be read properly ... or not.

The inclusion  of the word celebrated does add some weight to an unkind reading.

See above.

Added to this she also questioned the loyalty of mostly Jewish politicians supporting a Senate bill accusing them of forgetting the country they represent.

And how is that relevant to whether her other statement was misrepresented?

However, it could just be a very badly worded version of what you claim.

Eh?  I'm not sure where I made a claim.  I merely provided some facts.

I was aware of the full quote and almost published it but it is quite long.

Yeah, sure.

Edited by Lockjaw
Spacing. soz.

Lol the meaning is fairly ambiguous.  It is arrogant to suggest you read it properly.

The word celebrated is telling, most people don't celebrate the holocaust.

It is relevant because it reveals a separate incident of anti-semitism.  Just like if Boris Johnson made a questionable statement on black people (ie could be read as racist or not), I would like at his comments prior and would probably be persuaded it was racist.  If you don't understand how past words and actions can influence how someone is perceived, that's a concern.

Your claim was that my interpretation of her speech was wrong.  It is concerning you were unable to identify this.

Yeah sure?  I did reference more of her speech than was in the cartoon ;)

17 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Lol the meaning is fairly ambiguous.  It is arrogant to suggest you read it properly.

The word celebrated is telling, most people don't celebrate the holocaust.

It is relevant because it reveals a separate incident of anti-semitism.  Just like if Boris Johnson made a questionable statement on black people (ie could be read as racist or not), I would like at his comments prior and would probably be persuaded it was racist.  If you don't understand how past words and actions can influence how someone is perceived, that's a concern.

Your claim was that my interpretation of her speech was wrong.  It is concerning you were unable to identify this.

Yeah sure?  I did reference more of her speech than was in the cartoon ;)

Nope.  I didn't claim your interpretation of her speech was wrong because you didn't interpret it.  You merely shared someone else's interpretation of it and I provided you with the actual statement which, if read properly, is clearly not in the spirit of the disingenuous paraphrasing you shared.

The focus on one word as evidence is very telling and is similar to the tactics of an insolent schoolkid arguing the toss when caught hitting someone :  "Ah but you're wrong.  I didn't punch that lad with the big bruise on his face - I slapped him."

The place I work has a holocaust memorial week every year and it would be very easy for someone talking about it to refer to it as a celebration.  Of course, that is not the best word to use and I would imagine that any person who did use it would immediately clarify the meaning - just like Tlaib did.  Any listener (or reader) who latched onto that word and ran around, physically or metaphorically, shouting "miss, miss, she said she's celebrating the holocaust miss!" would, I suggest, be revealing an already embedded agenda.

For clarity, that was an opinion, not a claim.

Edited by Lockjaw

23 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

From the poster who thinks that calling Palestinian representatives including Hamas ‘our friends from Palestine’ is 100% definitive proof that Corbyn is antisemitic.

You are definitely the most amusing right-wing poster on here. Feel free to report me every day if you continue to come up with such comedy gold! 😂💰🤣💰😂💰🤣

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

From the poster who thinks that calling Palestinian representatives including Hamas ‘our friends from Palestine’ is 100% definitive proof that Corbyn is antisemitic.

You are definitely the most amusing right-wing poster on here. Feel free to report me every day if you continue to come up with such comedy gold! 😂💰🤣💰😂💰🤣

You continually ignore my questions.

It isn't just that, as I have explained many times.

Also, you are being fanatical about Corbyn.  Can you donate money to SCH please?  I understand you were using Hyperbole, so a tenner would do.

25 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Nope.  I didn't claim your interpretation of her speech was wrong because you didn't interpret it.  You merely shared someone else's interpretation of it and I provided you with the actual statement which, if read properly, is clearly not in the spirit of the disingenuous paraphrasing you shared.

The focus on one word as evidence is very telling and is similar to the tactics of an insolent schoolkid arguing the toss when caught hitting someone :  "Ah but you're wrong.  I didn't punch that lad with the big bruise on his face - I slapped him."

The place I work has a holocaust memorial week every year and it would be very easy for someone talking about it to refer to it as a celebration.  Of course, that is not the best word to use and I would imagine that any person who did use it would immediately clarify the meaning - just like Tlaib did.  Any listener (or reader) who latched onto that word and ran around, physically or metaphorically, shouting "miss, miss, she said she's celebrating the holocaust miss!" would, I suggest, be revealing an already embedded agenda.

For clarity, that was an opinion, not a claim.

No, I commented on a cartoon and asked someone the opinion of the cartoon.

What on earth makes you think that I just shared someone else's interpretation?

My interpretation is that it was probably anti-semitic.  This is based on her using the word celebrated, and her accusing Jewish Americans  of lacking loyalty to America.

Your analogy, highlighting the small difference between slapping and punching is absurd.  We are talking about someone who said they celebrated the holocaust and that it made them feel calm.  This happened in one speech.

You think it is easy to use the word celebrated when thinking about the holocaust?  I have only ever come across extreme anti semites using celebrated in relation to the holocaust.  Can you give me some examples of this easy thing please?

I have no axe to grind with this lady.

Edited by JamesR123

3 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

The most powerful man in the planet behaving like this means we are in extremely dangerous times. He is the most dangerous leader since the 1930s and I’ve got no doubt of that now.

He is normalising hate and racism, and he has tens of millions of idiots enjoying every second of it.

Where is this going next?

Here, if the DM is right:

Trump supporters roar 'Send her back, Send her back' after US president slams far-left 'squad' member Ilhan Omar at a campaign rally
- after suggesting she may be 'married to her brother'

5 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

I have no axe to grind with this lady.

Oh dear. I think you have slipped up there. 

An interpretation should be fair and honest and have nothing to do with how you feel about the person concerned. 

“I have no axe to grind with Rashida Tlaib so I shall interpret her accusing Jewish Americans as lacking loyalty’ as ‘’probably’  antisemitic’”

”I have an axe to grind with Jeremy Corbyn so I shall interpret him referring to Palestinian delegates as ‘friends’ as ‘definitely’ antisemitic.”

What tiny amount of credibility you had, has just vanished! 😂

38 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Here, if the DM is right:

Trump supporters roar 'Send her back, Send her back' after US president slams far-left 'squad' member Ilhan Omar at a campaign rally
- after suggesting she may be 'married to her brother'

Blimey. Disgusting

24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

An interpretation should be fair and honest and have nothing to do with how you feel about the person concerned. 

“I have no axe to grind with Rashida Tlaib so I shall interpret her accusing Jewish Americans as lacking loyalty’ as ‘’probably’  antisemitic’”

”I have an axe to grind with Jeremy Corbyn so I shall interpret him referring to Palestinian delegates as ‘friends’ as ‘definitely’ antisemitic.”

You are silly. 

You are applying a cause an effect to me having no axe to grind with Tlaib and me interpreting her speech as anti semitic.

That is very silly.

You have brought up Corbyn again.  Will you be paying the money?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Didn't you say that friendship between Tommy Robinson and BNP is a proof of his racism? 😂

I can't be bothered to read the last few pages.  It seems to me a couple of the Democratic Congresswomen have been guilty of making ridiculous statements and likely hold some dodgy views also.  But nothing - NOTHING - excuses Trump's comments nor the disgraceful chanting at that rally last night.

The only thing that gives me comfort is that his base never grows beyond 40% but no Presidency is won on the base, and that every action like this just reinforces the opposition and gets more people out to vote against him.