Mr Trump - All discussion here

2 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

As for Brexit, of the people that participated in the vote, numerically more people voted to Leave than to stay. What is it about that you find hard to grasp?

Nothing, other than less than 37% of the electorate and less than 25% of the population as a whole, voted for Brexit so calling it ‘the will of the people’ makes you look deluded and undemocratic.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Nothing, other than less than 37% of the electorate and less than 25% of the population as a whole, voted for Brexit so calling it ‘the will of the people’ makes you look deluded and undemocratic.

I can barely believe that someone who seems to be an intelligent person such as yourself cannot see that remain got even less support.

30 minutes ago, L00b said:

The worse problem, is that othering politicking as used by Trump & co. eventually gets  self-perpetuating (i.e. that particular downward spiral always accelerates): they have to double-down ever worse, ever more frequently, to maintain the momentum of the political gains they make with such messaging.

This has already happened.

Johnson and Hunt were squirming like rats in a sack last night to avoid calling Trump’s comments racist for fear of offending him. In reality, Trump neither knows nor cares whether his comments are seen as racist as he has already gone past that point and normalised that trope in US politics.

1 hour ago, Nightbird said:

I think he was making a general point about anyone of any race that does nothing but criticize America, inviting them to go and live elsewhere if they don't like it, like that horrible poisonous creature Megan Rapinoe.

In that case, I wonder why he didn’t leave when Obama was bringing in all those “terrible” changes like Obamacare, and treaties with Iran

2 minutes ago, Eater Sundae said:

In that case, I wonder why he didn’t leave when Obama was bringing in all those “terrible” changes like Obamacare, and treaties with Iran

I don't recall Trump "taking a knee" during the national anthem at any time do you?

Edited by Nightbird

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

How on earth can you hate a country?

A country is ultimately just a line on a map. 

No it isnt.  The line denotes its borders.

Jeremy Corbyn hates Israel.  Trump hates Mexico.

Hate is unfortunately very common.

1 hour ago, Nightbird said:

I think he was making a general point about anyone of any race that does nothing but criticize America, inviting them to go and live elsewhere if they don't like it, 

He certainly wasn’t making a general point.

His comments then and now, were directed very specifically at four democratically elected congresswoman who were voted into office to make changes that would benefit their constituents. By advising them to leave the country if they don’t like it, Trump is effectively saying that only those who agree with him should have a voice, ie he now wishes to replace democracy with dictatorship.

By supporting him, can we take it that you also believe in dictatorship? You certainly seem to think that only the views of the minority who voted for Brexit should be considered.

57 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

You may be technically correct with Trump but that is the anomaly in their electoral college system.

As for Brexit, of the people that participated in the vote, numerically more people voted to Leave than to stay. What is it about that you find hard to grasp?

Numerically speaking, how many of the people that participated in the vote and voted to Leave indeed, voted to Leave without any form of agreement with the EU27? 

Same hair-splitting as whole population vs electoral college, m'Lord ;)

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

(...)

By supporting him, can we take it that you also believe in dictatorship? You certainly seem to think that only the views of the minority who voted for Brexit should be considered.

Trump and Brexit supporters don't believe in anything other than 'winning at all costs', and consequences be damned.

That is, fundamentally, the problem with current polarised politics: they leave no room whatsoever for reasoned and consensual politics.

It's also how and why politicians such as the Brexit Party MEPs, Grayling and so many others, manage to get elected or appointed to such important roles, when really they should put their knife-sharp intellects away, lest they accidentally butter someone's toast with it.

Edited by L00b

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

He certainly wasn’t making a general point.

His comments then and now, were directed very specifically at four democratically elected congresswoman who were voted into office to make changes that would benefit their constituents. By advising them to leave the country if they don’t like it, Trump is effectively saying that only those who agree with him should have a voice, ie he now wishes to replace democracy with dictatorship.

Are you referring to " the squad"? in a black community context that term is an unhelpful stereotype and they and their supporters would do well to avoid using it.

As for your Brexit comment, you're embarrassing yourself as there was obviously even lees support for remain.

Edited by Nightbird

9 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Are you referring to " the squad"? in a black community context that term is an unhelpful stereotype and they and their supporters would do well to avoid using it.

As for your Brexit comment, you're embarrassing yourself as there was obviously even lees support for remain.

I have no idea what your first sentence means.

So do you agree with Trump that democratically elected politicians who oppose his policy should leave the country?

There are quite a few Remain supporting MPs who were born outside the UK. Should they also leave the UK?

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I have no idea what your first sentence means.

So do you agree with Trump that democratically elected politicians who oppose his policy should leave the country?

There are quite a few Remain supporting MPs who were born outside the UK. Should they also leave the UK?

Those congresswomen have been dubbed "the squad."

From Urban Dictionary:

Crew, posse, gang: an informal group of individuals with a common identity and a sense of solidarity. The term is a bit flashy and is more likely to be heard in hip-hop lyrics than in spoken conversation.
You step to me, and my whole squad will come down on you.

Its a shame that a group of black women have to be characterised  as a "squad." 

3 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Those congresswomen have been dubbed "the squad."

By Trump? 😲