Mr Trump - All discussion here

7 minutes ago, Eater Sundae said:

I think you may be right, but it doesn’t matter whether he is a racist. The problem is the number of people who are racist and will now feel validated in their views and be more emboldened to act that way in public.

Yes, facilitating racism for political advantage when you yourself aren’t particularly racist is actually more reprehensible than doing it out of conviction.

When people describe Trump as a ‘vile human being’ they are not that far off the mark.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Maybe you could give your opinion on Trump’s latest racist outburst?

I think he was making a general point about anyone of any race that does nothing but criticize America, inviting them to go and live elsewhere if they don't like it, like that horrible poisonous creature Megan Rapinoe.

13 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

I think he was making a general point about anyone of any race that does nothing but criticize America, inviting them to go and live elsewhere if they don't like it, 

Keep digging, lol 😂

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Keep digging, lol 😂

There are plenty of white "progressives" in the US that seem to hate the country they live in, Trump invites them to go and live elsewhere too.

Over the years many celebrities have threatened to leave the US because of Trump, pondering on a move to Canada. Never Mexico you'll notice. LOLZ!

Edited by Nightbird

15 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

There are plenty of white "progressives" in the US that seem to hate the country they live in, Trump invites them to go and live elsewhere too.

How on earth can you hate a country?

A country is ultimately just a line on a map. 

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

How on earth can you hate a country?

A country is ultimately just a line on a map. 

Mad innit?! 

51 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

I think he was making a general point about anyone of any race that does nothing but criticize America, inviting them to go and live elsewhere if they don't like it, like that horrible poisonous creature Megan Rapinoe.

Their is a lot of it about. It's like the remainers here that don't seem to like to see  democracy in action, so they need to go and live in a dictatorship. Obviously what he should have said is, if you don't like what the majority of people voted for, i'e me, you should go and  live somewhere else, or shut up, and vote me out at the next election.

2 minutes ago, spilldig said:

if you don't like what the majority of people voted for, i'e me, you should go and  live somewhere else, or shut up, and vote me out at the next election.

Two problems with that.

1. The majority of UK citizens did not vote for Brexit.

2. The majority of US citizens did not vote for Trump.

1 hour ago, Eater Sundae said:

I think you may be right, but it doesn’t matter whether he is a racist. The problem is the number of people who are racist and will now feel validated in their views and be more emboldened to act that way in public.

We can now look forward to an increase in “get back to your own country” type comments, on both sides of the Atlantic. Yet another footstep along a downward spiral.

The worse problem, is that othering politicking as used by Trump & co. eventually gets  self-perpetuating (i.e. that particular downward spiral always accelerates): they have to double-down ever worse, ever more frequently, to maintain the momentum of the political gains they make with such messaging.

The more that particular genie comes out of the proverbial bottle, the faster it comes out, and the harder it becomes and the longer it takes to put it back in.

Edited by L00b

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Two problems with that.

That must be why the results were for Brexit and Trump then !

1 minute ago, spilldig said:

That must be why the results were for Brexit and Trump then !

No, you definitely said ‘the majority of people voted for, i’e me’.

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Two problems with that.

You may be technically correct with Trump but that is the anomaly in their electoral college system.

As for Brexit, of the people that participated in the vote, numerically more people voted to Leave than to stay. What is it about that you find hard to grasp?