Mr Trump - All discussion here

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

Just names. So I will go back to my original question. How can the president of a foreign country dismantle our NHS ?

By insisting that the counter party open the health service up to private companies. By insisting that a health insurance market is created. There are a multitude of ways.

2 minutes ago, Sierra said:

Well, maybe. I do live in California. 😉

I explained it. Using real life examples. If that isn't good enough for you, then I don't know what to say. 

That’s not my experience buying over the counter in the US, and hugely at odds with guideline prices on reputable websites.

You don’t know what to do because you know I could produce the links in seconds.

4 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

By insisting that the counter party open the health service up to private companies. By insisting that a health insurance market is created. There are a multitude of ways.

That’s not my experience buying over the counter in the US, and hugely at odds with guideline prices on reputable websites.

You don’t know what to do because you know I could produce the links in seconds.

Well your experience is not my experience. And my life long experience and that of my family and friends trumps whatever link you can post. 

Jesus Christ. I wouldn't presume to lecture anyone here about the NHS.

I'm American, I live here. I have been wrangling with these blood sucking bean counters at the insurance companies, doctor's offices, emergency rooms and pharmacies my entire life.  And watching my parents and other assorted family do it when I was a kid.Try doing that when you're sick. Or your worried sick about someone dear to you.

Corbyn has requested a meeting with Mr Trump but he refused to meet him and called him a negative force, what did Corbyn expect?  He refused the invite to go to the queen’s banquet, he then attends a protest march against the President of America.

Quite frankly I would have called him a bit more than a negative force had I been 

Mr Trump. 

21 minutes ago, Sierra said:

Well, maybe. I do live in California. 😉

I explained it. Using real life examples. If that isn't good enough for you, then I don't know what to say. 

Sorry Sierra but this is what we have to live with in this country. 

2 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Sorry Sierra but this is what we have to live with in this country. 

I meant no disrespect to anyone here, but as I said: I wouldn't presume to lecture a British person about the NHS. Which by the way, I think is mighty fine. 

True, the US is huge, not everything is the same everywhere. But there is more than one way to skin a cat and get what you need and not pay highway robbery prices. Frankly these drug companies are soulless and will charge whatever they think they can get away with. 

I think that's the problem. For most Americans, this is a fact of life, but most Europeans have never had to deal with the naked avarice and bill padding at the patients' expense (literally!) and are surprised and (rightly)  disgusted.

3 minutes ago, Sierra said:

I meant no disrespect to anyone here, but as I said: I wouldn't presume to lecture a British person about the NHS. Which by the way, I think is mighty fine. 

True, the US is huge, not everything is the same everywhere. But there is more than one way to skin a cat and get what you need and not pay highway robbery prices. Frankly these drug companies are soulless and will charge whatever they think they can get away with. 

I think that's the problem. For most Americans, this is a fact of life, but most Europeans have never had to deal with the naked avarice and bill padding at the patients' expense (literally!) and are surprised and (rightly)  disgusted.

I didn't  mean the situation of our NHS , I meant  the ignorance of certain Brits.

3 minutes ago, Sierra said:

I watched the Michael Moore thing- Sicko - and it highlighted the difficulty of a survivor of 9/11 struggled to get asthma medication (the old “pre existing condition” hustle amongst thing”). That struck a chord as I’m asthmatic. I know Moore is a bit one-eyed but there must have been some truth to it. Have a look if you haven’t watched it - you’ll know how true it is better than me.

In the meantime, have a look at this. Less one-eyed but I found it quite concerning and I don’t want this country going down that road. With brexit we are at risk of it. Trump is a sideshow - any US president will demand the same I think.

The human cost of insulin in America http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47491964

45 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

At least you've answered the question. I don't agree with you but unlike another contributor who replies with insults or a patronising sigh you replied with a reasonable one.

45 minutes ago, Sierra said:

Well your experience is not my experience. And my life long experience and that of my family and friends trumps whatever link you can post. 

Jesus Christ. I wouldn't presume to lecture anyone here about the NHS.

I'm American, I live here. I have been wrangling with these blood sucking bean counters at the insurance companies, doctor's offices, emergency rooms and pharmacies my entire life.  And watching my parents and other assorted family do it when I was a kid.Try doing that when you're sick. Or your worried sick about someone dear to you.

So your healthcare system is a piece of crap but you still made time to support Lockdoctor’s insane predictions about a wonderful future of cut price American drugs when the evidence is that even basic drugs (Tylenol equivalent here can be as little as 19 pence for 12 tablets) cost an arm and a leg in the US.

You guys get fleeced every step of the way. We don’t want the same thing.

The NHS is not for sale.

3 hours ago, G-tech said:

Alchresearch has a point, over the last decade the far left have (sadly) become increasingly similar to the far right in tactics and attitude (especially in the U.S.), while the right have exploited this and often are the more rationally behaved in these situations.

Who are the far left when they're at home? When did standing against racism and fascism become far left?

57 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

I didn't  mean the situation of our NHS , I meant  the ignorance of certain Brits.

Gotcha. 😉

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

Who are the far left when they're at home? When did standing against racism and fascism become far left?

Just look in a mirror. I really don't think you could get any more extreme far left than yourself. You hold so much hate for those that do not agree with you that it is sad to see.