St George was a Palestinian ..

Pattricia thinks he"s George Clooney , bless her.

Many years ago I once read that St George was a Roman soldier who was born in Turkey around 280 AD. I think you will find this a very popular view if you check it out.

Having visited many German churches while in their country I found this was their belief too as they would have many carvings and sculptures with information of St George in their churches.

That is where i understood him to be from i think it was his mother that was born in palestine.

That is where i understood him to be from i think it was his mother that was born in palestine.

oh come on. Nobody has a clue if this St George dude, even existed at all. He's several rungs down the ladder in the actual reality, or the real documented person, stakes from even King Arthur and Robin Hood.

bringing St George's mother into it, will only confuse the issue.

especially if she's Jewish.

Edited by blake

No he was born in Palestine, Levant according to Orthodoxy, apparently his tomb is in Lydda in Palestine.

He was a Byzantine soldier.

Turkey didn't exist until 1917... Anatolia was over run by the Turks in 16th century..

oh come on. Nobody has a clue if this St George dude, even existed at all. He's several rungs down the ladder in the actual reality, or the real documented person, stakes from even King Arthur and Robin Hood.

bringing St George's mother into it, will only confuse the issue.

especially if she's Jewish.

funny you should mention King Arthur, theres new evidence his legend may have been stolen from France

Is it Georgia that has the same anthem music as us too? I can remember a football between England and another country where the anthem were a bit confusing due to them being the same!

You might be right ..

Is it Georgia that has the same anthem music as us too? I can remember a football between England and another country where the anthem were a bit confusing due to them being the same!

I think it's the flags that are similar.

Liechtenstein

Edited by cgksheff

No he was born in Palestine, Levant according to Orthodoxy, apparently his tomb is in Lydda in Palestine.

He was a Byzantine soldier.

Turkey didn't exist until 1917... Anatolia was over run by the Turks in 16th century..

I remember at school being told that he was born in cappadocia.According to this BBC webpage it also backs this up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/saints/george_1.shtmlBut has it says nothing is certain has to wether he existed or not.

I remember at school being told that he was born in cappadocia.According to this BBC webpage it also backs this up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/saints/george_1.shtmlBut has it says nothing is certain has to wether he existed or not.

BBC news magazine website says he was born in Palestine= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27048219

BBC news magazine website says he was born in Palestine= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27048219

No. The webpage says that a Greek Orthodox Archbishop says that he was born in historic Palestine.

Not the same thing.

It also then links to "what we actually know about St George", where they repeat the accepted evidence that he was born in Cappadocia.

Edited by cgksheff

I learned in school that St George (we called it Sv. Juraj in Croatia)

was born in Cappadocia, Palestine.