Northern lights where?

It's my 60th birthday next year and I want to go and see the northern lights. I have heard of places where you can go (Tromso etc) but just wondered if anyone had been and could recommend somewhere.

It's mainly to see the northern lights but while I'm there (wherever it is I go) I would like to do some husky sledding and other activities (at least if I don't see the lights, I'll have done other things!)

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Have sent you message

Have sent you message

Thankyou for that, I'll check it out

It's my 60th birthday next year and I want to go and see the northern lights. I have heard of places where you can go (Tromso etc) but just wondered if anyone had been and could recommend somewhere.

It's mainly to see the northern lights but while I'm there (wherever it is I go) I would like to do some husky sledding and other activities (at least if I don't see the lights, I'll have done other things!)

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

I have been very up north, but the only place I saw it was at Lossiemouth. Scotland and it was great, really good. To be honest the Northan Light are so, miss and it, i observed it, when getting up for a 4am early fight South.

Edited by phil752

We went to Tromsø for that very reason. We had beutiful sunny days but as soon as the sun went down it went cloudy until dawn. We enjoyed the holiday though. Anyway this winter we are taking a cruise around North Cape so we will see what happens. Tromsø is a good place it's just that we had bad luck with cloud.

The problem is you can pay a fortune to go and see the northern lights, be it Iceland, or the northern areas of Scandinavia and still see nothing, it all depends on the solar activity and the weather where you are. We were lucky enough to be in Lapland 3 years ago (150 miles inside the Arctic circle) and saw the northern lights loads of times. Also, because we only got 2 hours of daylight, we could see them in the afternoon as it went dark around 1pm.

When we were on Mull a few years back we had a great display it was magic.

The problem is you can pay a fortune to go and see the northern lights, be it Iceland, or the northern areas of Scandinavia and still see nothing, it all depends on the solar activity and the weather where you are. We were lucky enough to be in Lapland 3 years ago (150 miles inside the Arctic circle) and saw the northern lights loads of times. Also, because we only got 2 hours of daylight, we could see them in the afternoon as it went dark around 1pm.

Well I wouldn't recommend going anywhere just to see the northern lights. Just look upon it as a bonus if you do see them. Norway is well worth a visit, lights or no lights.

Well I wouldn't recommend going anywhere just to see the northern lights. Just look upon it as a bonus if you do see them. Norway is well worth a visit, lights or no lights.

I didn't recommend going anywhere just to see the northern lights. I do agree though Norway and, in my opinion, the whole of Scandinavia is beautiful, if not a tad expensive once your there.

I have friends up in Churchill, Canada. They are always uploading pictures of the northern lights. Canada is just as good as anywhere else I guess, except you get the added bonus of polar bears.

I didn't recommend going anywhere just to see the northern lights. I do agree though Norway and, in my opinion, the whole of Scandinavia is beautiful, if not a tad expensive once your there.

You did mention, :paying a fortune to go and see the northern lights:

You did mention, :paying a fortune to go and see the northern lights:

Yes, but I didn't recommend anywhere. People do book these holidays just to see the Northern Lights and nothing more, and a lot of people come back disappointed.