272/train tickets

Afternoon. My son has just started an apprenticeship in Hathersage and we are trying to find the best value (not the cheapest) travel tickets. He goes on the train and comes home on the bus and he can use his return ticket to do this, but it's 27.50 a week to travel. I have two questions,

1. If he uses a young persons railcard to buy the train ticket, is it still valid for the return journey on the bus?

2. Is there an all encompassing rail/bus ticket monthly or weekly for a student or otherwise baring in mind we are using a different bus companies at different times AND that we cross the border?

I've looked on the bus and train websites but can't get all the info

I'm hoping that Andy C or one of the 272/271 regulars will pick this up. Many thanks...

Afternoon. My son has just started an apprenticeship in Hathersage and we are trying to find the best value (not the cheapest) travel tickets. He goes on the train and comes home on the bus and he can use his return ticket to do this, but it's 27.50 a week to travel. I have two questions,

1. If he uses a young persons railcard to buy the train ticket, is it still valid for the return journey on the bus?

2. Is there an all encompassing rail/bus ticket monthly or weekly for a student or otherwise baring in mind we are using a different bus companies at different times AND that we cross the border?

I've looked on the bus and train websites but can't get all the info

I'm hoping that Andy C or one of the 272/271 regulars will pick this up. Many thanks...

Derbyshire CC site:

Inter-availability of bus and train tickets between Sheffield and the Hope Valley

Holders of return tickets issued on the Hope Valley train service and bus service 272 between Sheffield, Hathersage, Bamford and Hope or Castleton, can use these tickets to return by either bus or train (train tickets to/from Hope will be valid from/to Castleton on the 272 bus, and bus tickets to/from Castleton will be valid from/to Hope on the train).

Other bus services and other destinations are not included in the scheme.

On the First home page

"Return tickets

Return tickets are available on services 271 and 272. Customers wishing to travel on non-First journeys provided by Hulleys, TM Travel or Northern Rail from local stations need to buy a return ticket."

Edited by Annie Bynnol

@Angrymum

Ask your son to get himself an [NUS card for apprentices].

Most bus drivers accept NUS cards as proof of student status. Plus he'll get 10% off all his shopping at the Co-op supermarket :P

thank you - that's what he has been doing, because of his start and finish times, but if he gets the rail ticket cheaper, is it still valid on the bus. It doesn't say no I guess...

---------- Post added 17-10-2017 at 15:38 ----------

@Angrymum

Ask your son to get himself an [NUS card for apprentices].

Most bus drivers accept NUS cards as proof of student status. Plus he'll get 10% off all his shopping at the Co-op supermarket :P

I don't expect he'll use it for anything useful though!

You could use an all day/week sheff first or pte ticket ...and pay £1 extra they charge from the border to any where between there and castleton.. on the bus

---------- Post added 17-10-2017 at 15:43 ----------

I know that you can use the return ticket (which is cheaper from the train station than the bus) on both bus and train ... not sure if it is with the rail pass deduction ..

Most of the time you cannot use a 16-25 Railcard for the train journey to Hathersage before 10 am.

As the offer applies to a "return" it might not apply to a weekly season ticket- ask at the station in Sheffield as they are much more likely to know than a conductor or bus driver.

National Rail:site

A £12 minimum fare applies for journeys starting between 4.30am-10am Monday to Friday excluding Advance Fares. This minimum fare does not apply on Public Holidays or throughout July and August.

thank you everyone, I'll ask at the station and see what they say. If you wanted to talk to someone about buses, is there a place you can go to? like the desk there used to be at Pond St?

The information office is on Arundel gate by the crucible :)

Visit http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com or call 01709 515151.

Obviously Hathersage is in Derbyshire so isn't part of any of the South Yorkshire ticketing schemes, there is the agreements to accept return tickets (note all day savers dont count) between Northern Rail, First and Hulleys but other than that there are just operator specific tickets.

What hours does he work ? Are they fairly regular ?

Perhaps after a week or two he'll find someone who drives in every day with whom he can come to some travel arrangement with ?

He's young - he must be on Facebook etc !

Thank you everybody, I'll get down there myself as he's working and it's my day off, and Mossway, that was my idea also! It's full time hours, regular 8 - 5 so there must be a way...