Sheffield WW1 Service Record

Can anyone help please - Sheffield WW1 records. I am looking for a Service Record and wonder if there is anyone who can point me in the right direction. We know that service numbers changed during the war. I have tried ancestry and find my past.

My grandfather, Albert Shepherd, b. 1891, Sheffield joined the Territorial Force in 1909, age 17. Service number 514

It was the 3rd (poss 8th) West Riding Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery.

The photographs we have shows him as a Lance Corporal (date unknown) and also a couple of photos in ´the field´ in France, we believe he was a gunner.

His other service numbers could have possibly been 79832 or 147844 but have become a little stuck with this. He returned safely.

Thanks.

Pitsmoor Boy

I have a partial service record of a man I think is your relative. How can I get it to you.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by Luftwaffe bombing in WW2.

Have you checked Ancestry?

Have a word with the guys at the Sheffield Soldier one of their researchers is very good

You can apply to the army to have copies of your relatives service record....

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

It costs about £30, I think, but you get their registration papers, which regiments they were with and where they were posted to...

Hope this helps!!! :) :)

hiya pitsmoorboy, carolw is correct ..but here is the full address if you need it

Army Personnel Centre

Historical Disclosure

Mail point 400

Kentigern House

65 Brown Street

Glasgow

G2 8EX

Hope this helps

ron

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread, it is very much appreciated. I am continuing to check this out. I will let you all know when I succeed. Thanks again.

just a thought pitsmoorboy, I used to live at pitsmoor on grimesthorpe road just up from the normanton inn..sutherland road baths and the wembley were my favourite places and I went to ellesmere road school too although a few years behind you..hope you succeed in your search

WW1 service records are not with the MOD,

They only hold records after 1920 except for the Guards regiments and they have their own archives at Wellington Barracks. My father was a Coldstreamer in 1935-1939 and I obtained his records from Wellington Barracks.

He transferred to the Royal Marines at the outbreak of war WW2 were he finished in 1945 as a colour sergeant and I applied for these from the MOD. There was a charge of £30 for these.