The Albert Ross Emporium

Are they demolishing or just refurbishing? Hopefully not totally demolishing.

Demolition started today. Does anyone know what will replace it?

3 new shop units, rebuilt building and houses on the land around the back.

The planning application can be found online.

Something light, bright and modern probably. Personally I'd rather see old buildings refurbished in their original style. Adds character to an area.

Something light, bright and modern probably. Personally I'd rather see old buildings refurbished in their original style. Adds character to an area.

According to the planning application it is to be rebuilt in a vernacular style with traditional materials (stone and slate).

I would hope that it would be partially constructed from reclaimed materials from the demolition but I don't know if that is the case.

This auction lot states that it sold after the auction for an undisclosed amount.

https://auctioneertemplates.eigroup.co.uk/LotDetails.aspx?LotID=848913&a=92&c=edm

I'm not sure of the date of the auction tho? It has been up at previous auctions without selling a number of times.

---------- Post added 14-10-2017 at 17:57 ----------

The plans for proposals can be found on the Sheffield planning application website.

The permission will have lapsed tho - it was originally granted in 2009, and then an extension was granted in 2012. This lasted another 3 years, and so will have lapsed again.

As the plan is for the building to be demolished and rebuilt, I hope that the replacement uses the same materials as the original, so that it doesn't look obviously new.

Go on then, post a link for those of us who can't find it

The Development looks very attractive if the render is any thing to go by and a tribute to Jim Young who run the original emporium around the 1970's a gentleman and a scholar as well as a smashing boozing partner was Jim and family .

I like to see old buildings reused where practical, but this place was an absolute wreck. Like, scaffolding-holding-up-inside-wreck. Demolishing and replacing with new is the best use of the land.

Good to see new shop units being put in - as Ian says, will really keep the Walkley revival going.