Take a walk on the wild side

Fished the don on Tuesday waded from neepsend to Lady's bridge. I bet I didn't have more than ten pounds of fish but really enjoyed it and surprise surprise every fish was in perfect condition and if you fish carp puddles you may be surprised to know that fish have two lips. So don't be a carp catcher be an angler its much more rewarding. Take a walk on the wild side

I agree 100% ! I love fishing on the Don moving around to different swims etc & it beats sat at the side of a pond that is so overstocked that you cannot fail where is the challenge in that? Its great to be able to walk on the banks of the Don anywhere on the Don wether its down Attercliffe in the industrial heartland or up Oughtibridge & know that you will be facing a challenge wether it be the fast current, shallow waters or underwater snags which make sit all the more satisfying rather than sat at a peg all day.

it's just such a shame that huge stretches of water are inaccessible throughout Sheffield & Rotherham

I've been fishing the Don up at Deepcar & Oughtibridge throughout winter for well over 20 years now, and although having the odd exploration elsewhere, I've never really found anywhere that suits.... I thought I'd sorted it last week, as a member at Ravenfield I also have access to the Don at Kilnhurst, and while it looks a nice stretch with proper permanent pegs, there was no flow at all & I really didn't like the absolute solitude... just didn't feel secure

However, I went for an explore down the 5 weirs walk this morning & I was a bit disappointed with these stretches, so I went further downstream (near the Toyota dealership beyond the Magna) & found a great looking stretch, that is amazingly accessible, looks quite safe to park & has plenty of depth, good flow, good colour & plenty of features

only one person fishing as well... and tomorrow morning that will be me!

If it's any good I may report back tomorrow evening, but if it turns out to be superb... that will be our little secret

I live very near a stretch of the upper Don and love to spend a couple of hours on there, especially in winter. I also work next to the river and have access to a small stretch via the work's car park.

I do feel the upper stretches can be a bit predictable with all the trout and grayling present. Some roach and dace would be welcome.

I kinda agree charliewag but cast your mind back a few years ago & if somebody had said to you in a few years you will commenting about the abundance of trout&grayling & the lack of roach, dace etc you will have probably told them to go to see a Doctor !I love the fact that the Don is now like other cities rivers & full of fish as i uded to drive through other cities in years gone by & be very envious that they could fish a river on their doorstep!

well what a morning...

80+ fish I've had from that stretch this morning, mostly roach in the 2-4oz class, but a few bigger up to 8oz, and quite a few dace too

the dace announced their arrival with spectacular surface feeding, if I'd been fishing shallow I'd have probably ended up with 150 fish, but I was fishing at full depth which was around 8-9ft deep & a lovely steady pace...

there's also some nuisance pike... well nuisance until next time when I take my lure gear!

really enjoyed the change of fishing a stretch where there's loads of coarse fish to target...

Hi Dars35

Which stretch was you fishing as you say you were fishing at between 8' to 9' deep ? i didnt think that there were many swims with that depth along the Don? Sound like you had great sport today.

I do appreciate that we have good river fishing on our doorstep but some species haven't thrived like the trout and grayling. There used to be a lot of dace just below coopers scrapyard and stevenson rd and I remember big perch being caught at beeley wood some years ago.

it's out past Magna near that Toyota garage out towards Centenary way in Rotherham

there's a little nature reserve with a little pond in the middle

yes, I was shocked when I plumbed it, as I'm much more used to the 3 or 4ft on the upper stretches...

Thanks, i have not been down that area thats why i was suprised at the depths !

I hadn't been down there until I went for a recci on Saturday, I was still reeling from the disappointment of the Kilnhurst stretch, so desperate to find somewhere new...

I've walked the length of salmon pastures before & that never really struck a chord, I think my problem is I like solitude, probably why I don't fish Beeley Woods any more, too many walkers & cyclists

so for weeks now I've been scouring Google maps for stretches of Dearne/Don/Rother to find somewhere that suits, and now I think I may have found it

I'm saying 8-9ft, I didn't actually measure it, but it's the distance from the hook retainer ring on my rod (2" above the top of the handle) right up to the 1st ring on the tip section... (13ft rod)

I'll measure it later, but after my initial plumb up, and continually trotting that depth I didn't snag the bottom once

---------- Post added 17-10-2017 at 20:07 ----------

just been tidying my gear & cleaning the float rod, so I took the opportunity to measure my depth, but I'm sorry to say my estimated 8-9ft was an over-estimate...

it was actually 7'9", so I was 3" out....

Fish Salmon pastures across from the scaffold yard and mobile platform yard.

Stick float and red maggot 2 ft deep.

Full of hard fighting grayling..had some great sessions on here.

You can wade all way across and trot for 40 yards