Crookes History

I've found your mum-in-law's family in the 1973 Kelly's Directory, at 26 Elgin Street. She might remember next-door neighbours the Sigsworths at No 24 and Robinsons at No 28.

There were also the Shepards, Frost's & Beardshaws that lived on there.

remember the chip shop at the bottom of bolehill lane.

There was a bloke who lived a few doors above the chippy, he was POW & came home in the 40's, the papers etc were there and it was a big day for Crookes, there were many people there to welcome him home too, the majority standing on what was spare land at the bottom of B/H lane, they later built a swing park there from memory.

There was a family called Greatbatch that lived on Stannington View Road in the 40's, I went to Crookes Endowed school with Ruby Greatbatch.

The 1973 directory shows a Sydney Greatbatch at 108 Stannington View Road.

This couple named Greatbatch lived on Toyne Street, Crookes until 1951.

I believe they were related to Sydney Greatbatch and Ruby Greatbatch who people have kindly mentioned on here. Having been in touch with a distant Greatbatch, I seem to think that Ruby is still with us.

If my memory is correct they lived next door to a family named Cammack?

Duffems

There was a family called Greatbatch that lived on Stannington View Road in the 40's, I went to Crookes Endowed school with Ruby Greatbatch.

Odd you should mention that Skippy, because a couple of months ago ( in my line of work ) I came across one of the older Greatbatch sisters. She told me that she was brought up in one of the four cottages/houses that used to be at the top of Duncan Road. The Greatbatch's used to live near the Gill's up Stannington View, I think there were three girls and one boy, but I only knew Trevor and Ruby who were more my age. Sadly I have to report that Ruby has been dead for some years.

I can't add much to that Elmambo. The years pass and the memory plays tricks. Certainly, Leapers has a ring of recollection but don't remember much more. Where Baxters is now, top of Toyne St., that was owned by Willis Oxley. At the Coombe Road end, I remember a cobbler's shop by the Old Grindstone plus a barber's shop (Charlie Scruton). I have problems picturing departed landmarks in the city centre, of ten years ago or less - unless it had a specific memory. Meesons at the end of Longfield Road, was legendary for that cat stench and where we bought "Jubblies" after playing football. Jubbly was roughly a prismatic shaped frozen orange drink.

Elmambo - Further enlightened whilst having my morning swin, I was told the horsemeat butcher you referred to, hung himself!

A morning swim mmm, I've obviously taken a wrong turning somewhere in life. Willis Oxley was another local institution, very smart and polite - a very busy shop. Scruton's was there for a long while - end of the block, next to Broomheads - still a hairdressers.

Thought Jubblies came later, do you mean "Joysticks". They were triangular shaped, about six inches, long in a cardboard sleeve and if you only had a ha'penny they could be cut into two.

A morning swim mmm, I've obviously taken a wrong turning somewhere in life. Willis Oxley was another local institution, very smart and polite - a very busy shop. Scruton's was there for a long while - end of the block, next to Broomheads - still a hairdressers.

Thought Jubblies came later, do you mean "Joysticks". They were triangular shaped, about six inches, long in a cardboard sleeve and if you only had a ha'penny they could be cut into two.

No, definitely "Jubbly" - a tetrahedron shape of frozen, orange-flavoured ice -

all pre-1964.

Odd you should mention that Skippy, because a couple of months ago ( in my line of work ) I came across one of the older Greatbatch sisters. She told me that she was brought up in one of the four cottages/houses that used to be at the top of Duncan Road. The Greatbatch's used to live near the Gill's up Stannington View, I think there were three girls and one boy, but I only knew Trevor and Ruby who were more my age. Sadly I have to report that Ruby has been dead for some years.

I'm in contact with someone from the Greatbatch line as they're my "adopted" family and I'd be interested to know about them.

Duffems

Hi Geoff. There were two! There was one by the cinema in the centre of Crookes and there was another one, now flats! - just above where the Kandy Kabin was that we've been talking about - in fact, they must have been almost next door.

For a picture of the one you were meaning go to - http://www.picturesheffield.com

Get the keyboard index - click C. Scroll down to Crookes Picture House and Bingo! (Not quite, but you have the location of those famed matinees!)

Perhaps I should point out that the Co-op is now where the picture house was. Previously, the store was at the other side of Newent Lane. There became a supermarket either side of the Lane, but the Co-op moved across to take up an existing liquor licence.

There were actually three Co-op stores. The one near Kandy Kabin survived until fairly recently as the Co-op funeral directors, another is now the horse and rider shop, but there was also the drapery shop at the top of Marston Road, now an Italian eatery - the Co-op logo is still there if you look. It was a wierd shop, I never ever saw ony one go in.

The first supermarket was "Finefare"

No, definitely "Jubbly" - a tetrahedron shape of frozen, orange-flavoured ice -

all pre-1964.

Your discription of the Jubbly is priceless

Geoff

Your discription of the Jubbly is priceless

Geoff

Well I think Hillsbro does us proud with his pictures of Jenks, and now, the Jubbly. If only we'd got one of Pop Meeson who served the Jubblies. I can picture him now - and smell the shop - as the cats tip-toed over the counter and across the sweet-jars' tops.