Crookes History

Dudey, I just punched in Chinese murder Crookes on the search and it came up, A Piece of off - beat Sheffield History, not clever enough to find out what page it's on though.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/crookesmurder.htm

Yes as you say Dudey - Opposite the Punch Bowl.

Cheers for that mate .. very interesting.. so it wasnt the pizza place but the charity shop.:)

Here's another photo of "Jenks". http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/JenksSept2005-2.jpg

His 80th birthday is some time this month; I hope to get to see him soon.

Aww cant believe he's still on the go ..bless him:)

Hello all, a big thanks to skippy over in NSW for the link to this site,i have just read all your contribitions over 4 pages about Crookes, and I look forward to contributing, lived on crookes from about 1954 to 1975., the chinese laundry I remember was directly across the road from our house at 137 Crookes which was where the off license was, then just above that was the chinese laundry then the newsagents. the laundry was owned by the parents of my old school friend at Crookes Endowed Chim Kam Chu. Also the sweet shop was spelt Kandy Kabin. ..........over and out ........ owlinaus

In the late 40's, Dr Irwin was our doctor, but I can't remember where his surgery was nowadays, I remember him buying a Standard Vanguard when they came out.

Opposite Crookes Endowed School was a post office on the corner, where tram conducters took their takings after the end of their shift, when the driver dropped them off, we would jump on the back of the tram and get a free ride to the tram sheds.

We also got empty beer bottles from the neighbours & returned them for either a penny or threepence each at the Ball Inn, we would get enough to go to the local pictures & have an ice cream each, then we'd go and get a bag of chips for free from the chippy across from the pictures where my mother worked. it was owned by a Canadian couple called Strawsons at that time.

There wasn't many cars around in my day, so the milkman & coalman delivered with a horse and cart, needless to say the neighbours were always around to get the horse droppings for their gardens.

I lived on Tasker Rd, it was still cobblestones until the council put tar over them around 1950 ? when I visited in 1990, I was surprised to see the old street with cars parked on either side of the road.

Every Sunday evening there was a lantern sevice at a hall on the right hand side of School Rd, afterwards we got free tea and biscuits, kids in my day were never in any danger of anything, not like kids of today.

Every bonfire night, there was a big bonfire on some spare land between Brick St & Carson Rd, those were the good old days.

Hi Skippy. I remember going to the Sunday lantern slide shows. I believe we had to pay a penny admission. This was a sort of Sunday School, the shows had a religious theme.

The building was the original Wesley Hall and still owned by the Methodists until it became a Catholic Church some twenty years ago. A new Catholic Church was built on the site of the tram sheds and the building is now flats, like everything else.

The trams sheds had a coke stove at the front, we would sometimes buy a penny loaf from the bakers and toast it there.

If you could not find any bottles to get the deposit back on, you could always take a pile on newspapers to the chippy and get a bag of scallops

Jewitt's Bakery.

Goodness, that's a blast from the past, didn't they have a shop on the main road in Crookes at sometime ?

Jewitt's used to deliver bread to the local shops in an old Jowett van, the bread was notoriously hard. Like all bakers the decline started when Jacksons brought the first sliced bread over from Manchester, but they survived at the bakery at the bottom of School Road 'til app. 1987. You will only need one guess to know what is built on the site.

where the off license was.

Was that at the opposite side of a driveway to what we called the drink shop, where we bought hot Vimto ? Allsops and Hancocks lived just below it.

inessex. my family lived 75 forres road around 1925-1930 also aunt and family lived at no.73 for many years around that time.

i used to go to wesley hall on sundays with my mother upsatairs i remember for the services.

Hi Skippy. I remember going to the Sunday lantern slide shows. I believe we had to pay a penny admission. This was a sort of Sunday School, the shows had a religious theme.

The building was the original Wesley Hall and still owned by the Methodists until it became a Catholic Church some twenty years ago. A new Catholic Church was built on the site of the tram sheds and the building is now flats, like everything else.

The trams sheds had a coke stove at the front, we would sometimes buy a penny loaf from the bakers and toast it there.

If you could not find any bottles to get the deposit back on, you could always take a pile on newspapers to the chippy and get a bag of scallops

The former RC Church was on School Road and was called "The Church of Our Lady" and the new one on Pickmere Road combined that, with the once St. Vincent's Church on Solly Street, to form the new St.Vincent's Church at Crookes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/image_galleries/radio_sheffield_archive_photos_gallery.shtml?33

Top part of Northumberland Road towards the Goodwin, methinks?

Snow as it once was!

WOW! Fantastic picture .. I remember those days so well ..it was great as a kid but I would hate it now days :) Today we only need an inch of snow and everythings at a slow or stand still ..god only knows how we managed back in them days .lol. :D