Crookes History

The "Jenks" in the photo looks like the one I remember from Crookes scouts in the 1950s/60s. Good to know that he's still going strong! :)

no problem. lol. he may be related you never know lol

Interesting about Crookes. My Gran lived at 65 Forres Road from when it was built around 1910. Great Grandad was a French Polisher working on may of the buildings in Sheffield. I remember (1950s)the Candy Cabin, tram sheds and post office. Was there a Chinese Laundry as well? I also seem to remember the doctor as Sullivan. There was another sweet shop on Carson Road. Had a 'Five Boys Chocolate' sign in the window. My mother tells of how the Wesley Hall on the corner of Carson Road used to be full on several levels each Sunday. I have a picture on my 2 uncles having a joint wedding there in the 40s. We used to drive up from Broomhill area and I seem to remember a stocks in the middle of the road.

Hi inessesx. - Just to answer a few points, not sure how long you have been away, but the tram sheds is now St.Vincent's Church? Wesley Hall - can't confirm your attendance story but can believe it. I think those days are long past. Sweet shops on corners are also a thing of the past with "Cocoa" and "Five Boys" ads as they've all been converted into property flats.

Pop Meeson + cats! for example, at the end of Longfield Road, became flats (fire there last year).

Carson Road changed with several flats being built. Amy Street disappeared.

May I recommend the site http://www.picturesheffield.com where once you see the keyboard index, click on a letter, suburb/street etc and scroll down to whatever? There are some excellent photos of things "once upon a time."

Chinese laundry - I can remember one near where .925 Jewellery at Broomhill is. If you were on the number 8 Inner Circle bus when it was then a double decker - if it stopped at the lights at Broomhill (esp. at night when the laundry light was on) you could see into the laundry. For some reason, it always held fascination.

The name Dr. Sullivan rings a bell. Why not, we've had Irwin, Flynn and Hayes. A bit like the Irish rugby pack!

Chinese laundry - I can remember one near where .925 Jewellery at Broomhill is...

Yes - this was Lai Chung, whose laundry survived into the 1970s.

Yes - this was Lai Chung, whose laundry survived into the 1970s.

I remember reading that there was once a chinese laundry opposite the punch ball .. and someone was murderd there and burried in the basement .. dont know how true this is.

I remember reading that there was once a chinese laundry opposite the punch ball .. and someone was murderd there and burried in the basement .. dont know how true this is.

There are two pubs; The Punch Bowl and The Ball Inn. I hadn't heard of the murder story but having put my thinking cap on, I vaguely remember a Chinese Laundry - about where Mr. Ben's is (?) - so that would be opposite The Ball.

I read it was where the pizza place is now opposite the punch ball .. I think where going back a long time ago now ..Im racking my brains trying to remember where I read it!!

Im racking my brains trying to remember where I read it!!

It's on this site somewhere Dudey, I read about it a few months ago, I think it was around the area of Bole Hill Rd from memory.

It's on this site somewhere Dudey, I read about it a few months ago, I think it was around the area of Bole Hill Rd from memory.

Cheers Skippy .. for a moment there I thought I'd dreamt it .lol :D