Crookes History

Some of the girls scared me 😉

Hi, Doe's anyone remember Robert Webster, from Heavygate road? we were big school friends in the mid 70's before i joined the services in 78, and lost touch. Would love to find him, he knocked about with Terry Boyles, and we went to st john fisher in woodhouse. His dad used to take us fishing all over the place, lol. Think his sister was susan or Barbara, thanks in advance.

Hi David Beddus – Kelly's directories from the 1920s to 1974 show "Mrs Kate Elizabeth Basketter" at 31 Duncan Road. She is described as a "shopkeeper" which usually meant a general grocery shop, unlicensed. Mrs Basketter died aged 79 on 14 September 1974.

Yes, can still smell the cat pee.  It was just a house really, about a third of the way up Duncan Road, don't think it had a large shop window.  It was definitely open up to around 1950, but had gone by the mid 50's  I recall she sold a lot of eggs, sourced locally and as with other corner shops a bit of everything from light bulbs to tinned beans.  I would think that like many similar shops, it survived in the end, on "ration books" and when this ended  closed. 

Edited by Elmambo
additional information

Elmambo and hillsbro, thanks for the info on Mrs. Basketter and her shop at 31 Duncan Road.  I never knew the shop though my mum mentioned it.

We moved into 27 Duncan Road in 1951, I was only 2, but later I recall a large box of light bulbs stored upstairs in her house, that fits.

She became our adopted Granny Basketter as we finished up with 4 kids at 27 Duncan Road.

Many adventures in her 2 sheds in her back yard that were stuffed with treasures.

Fond memories.

Ron Davis, it’s better to add your post to the thread you’re referring to rather than start a new one. I hope someone remembers you.

Jim, was not trying to start a new thread and there were so many answers i wanted to give in the 41 pages i just gave some examples. Never mind.