Crookes History

Thankyou Mumsy and John56 The sites you both reccommended are most interesting and are helping me piece together of what Sheffield ie Langsetts Rd was like in the 1860's onwards.This is very pleasant for me to reunite myself (through your help) with lost research from the earthquakes here.Always appreciated.Shane in NZ

No worries-glad to help.

Maybe other Sheffield Forum followers know of a link to pictures of Langsett Road on the photo-bucket site...please can you post if you do.

I did have a link but has now been removed from my favourites-you will be able to see pictures whilst doing your research...good luck,

mumsy

I went to Western Rd Infants, junior & senior schools from 1957 -67, then we went to the newly built Crosspool secondary school.I lived on Stothard Rd just up from Carrack,s wallpaper shop. I remember the fruit shop & the pea & pie shop & Jessie Owens where I used to buy my knitting wool. Happy days!!

my girlfriend now wife lived next door to the pie and pea shop,had many a hot supper from there after a few pints in top shop

I remember the Trye family, their father - Eric- was foreman at W.J.Wollerton the painters and decorators in Turner's Lane, Broomhill. They had extensive workshops. They converted an old cottage behind B&B Office shop into a ladder store. One of my Mum's cousins was born in that cottage. Wollerton's had a very plush showroom on Whitham Road, now Refresh, walking into that showroom was akin to walking into a church. When Miss Wollerton retired the Trye's took the business on.

For my sixth birthday Mum organised party for all my little friends from Broomhill Infant School where we had a lucky dip bran tub. I remember climbing up a ladder in Wollerton's workshop and collecting sawdust from around the circular saw.

Oh dear - the memories are flooding back !. At that party my Aunt Sylvia arrived during the meal with my present, a cricket set. So all the kid's went to play cricket opposite our back gate in Turner's Lane. This part of Turner's Lane had a high wall with back gates on the right side. The left side started with the back of my Dad's lorry garage followed by the front of Mr. Gillott's used car garage then a row of lock-up garages. Towards the top of that side there was a brick wall between the garages with a solid heap of "muck" against it. We stuck our stumps in the pile of muck and proceeded to play cricket. At this point we heard the sound of Freddie Everill's motor bike coming. Now Freddie had had an Ariel motor bike for his sixteenth birthday and he used to bully us kids. His back gate was half way up the lane but he always rode up to the top of the lane to turn round - the way the cars did. As he approached all us kids ran to hide behind an old Humber car. Freddie rode up the lane and up the pile of muck in an attempt to knock down our wickets, but as he attempted to ascend the muck he fell off his bike accompanied to the sound of a dozen giggling kids.

greetings crooksonians,just found your site!what fun,I'm one of the Elgin st Robbos,exiled in Somerset!

greetings crooksonians,just found your site!what fun,I'm one of the Elgin st Robbos,exiled in Somerset!

Gday young Robbo, I was in the same class as your brother [Peter ?] get a few more posts on the site, then you will be able to send and receive personal messages.

I once had a Langsett cycle. There was a nearby alternative to Wells and that was Ernie Oldham who had a shop about where the Original Grindstone was just below Coombe Road.

Wells later moved to the bottom of Mulehouse where the (soon to move) private dentist is.

I remember him,he had a penny-farthing that he used to ride occasionally!

I went to Western Rd Infants, junior & senior schools from 1957 -67, then we went to the newly built Crosspool secondary school.I lived on Stothard Rd just up from Carrack,s wallpaper shop. I remember the fruit shop & the pea & pie shop & Jessie Owens where I used to buy my knitting wool. Happy days!!

hi busybee you have brought quite a few memories back to me!! Carracks were brothers I went to school with I understand one of them is a succes in showbiz in America! Do you remember Mr.North deputy head at senior school? some scandel about him and another teacher!!!! Also something which is bugging me ....do you remember Walkley picture house? well opposite there was a tiny shop which sold sasparela drinks..they had 4children of which I can only remember 3 names..Stuart Jackie and Julie ...I went to school with Julie I wondered if you could throw any light on that one ..Thanks..Do you still live locall?:help::)

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 09:00 ----------

Does your Dad remember the man who use to make potato crisps in a sort of shed in a gennel off Cross Lane just opposite Truswell Avenue.

hi Annbee I know exactly where you are talking about I grew up in Crookes I remember the icecrean place on Cross Lane too!! ...I am thinking of relocating whats the retirement situation in your part of the world? I cant private message as I am new to this and dont have enough credits or whatever they are called..Kind regards....

The Walkley picture house was the Palladium.

The sarsaparilla shop that I remember was "Hartleys" which was also a herbalist shop.

We used to call in there on cold days after playing football for a hot Vimto.There was a wooden bench inside the shop where you could sit and have your drink.i think the missing name was Alan Hartley who was at the same school as me ....St Mary's on South Road.

My nan used to buy all her wallpaper and paint from Carracks shop. Paul Carrack used to be with the band Mike and the Mechanics. Have been to a few of his solo concerts in Cardiff, still got a great voice!

My nan used to buy all her wallpaper and paint from Carracks shop. Paul Carrack used to be with the band Mike and the Mechanics. Have been to a few of his solo concerts in Cardiff, still got a great voice!

my gran was jessie owen/ capp had the shop next to Carracks my dad noel went to school with the Carrack boys both lovely men i have had the pleasure to meet as a child even went to a football match with paul .

my gran was jessie owen/ capp had the shop next to Carracks my dad noel went to school with the Carrack boys both lovely men i have had the pleasure to meet as a child even went to a football match with paul .

Was that the Little Star shop ? Can't remember what was there.