Crookes History

I lived in Truswell Avenue next door to the Fry family. What a great road it was to live it. The family at the top of the road (their house overlooked the cemetery) (A quick way to Lydgate School if we were late) owned a lorry and it became whatever we wanted it to be in our games of Robin Hood I was in love with the boy down the road- sadly i cannot remember his name but his Dad was a policeman.

We use to go to the Cinema a great saturday morning club also the one in Wakley was another haunt - I moved there in the late 50'.

You may have known my grandparents, Madge and John, who lived on there since before WWII until the early 90s (my nanan passed in 1986, my grandad in 94), or maybe my dad Tony. My grandad wasn't a policeman though so it wasn't my dad you were in love with :).

No but I think your grandparents were the first to have a tv. I do remember playing games with a tony but i think he was always one of the Merry Men. I remember him as not very tall but that was a long time ago and he may have grown to a giant. he lived just a couple of doors down from me. we all watched some royal event on the tv - though I cannot remember what it was.

That could be them! They did used to say that they were one of the first on the street to have a TV, and all the neighbours came round to watch the Queen's coronation. They lived at number 26.

My dad was born in 1944, so I don't know if he's the same Tony you'd have played with. I don't think he's ever had any height issues though!

Well if he was born in 44. He was three years younger than me - that explains the height problem. Your grandparents were great - and yes it was the coronation. What happened to your Dad?

Oh God the memory fades the people next door were the Tryes not Fryes. I think they had a shop or were in the decorating business. John Try and I both slept in the back bedroom and we arranged some sort of walkie talkie system (was it tin cans and string I forget) and use to climb from one bedroom to the other just for the hell of it.

Never got caught!!

Well if he was born in 44. He was three years younger than me - that explains the height problem. Your grandparents were great - and yes it was the coronation. What happened to your Dad?

He's alive and well and still living in Crookes in the house he's owned since the 60s, and still a regular in Crookes WMC. He's been retired for about 2-3 years, has been married for nearly 50 years and is a grandad of two boys, mine and my sister's.

I'm sure he'd love to be living in the Turks and Caicos though! He loves his sunny holidays

well that's good to know. He was a nice kid, but with such good parents he had a good start in life.

He may remember my little sister Susan who was a year older than him.

well that's good to know. He was a nice kid, but with such good parents he had a good start in life.

Do you remember the Mcnallys ? Think they lived on Truswell, I went to school with May McNally and she had an older brother John.

was their father in some sort of construction. Did their house overlook the cemetery?

Thankyou Mumsy and John56 The sites you both reccommended are most interesting and are helping me piece together of what Sheffield ie Langsetts Rd was like in the 1860's onwards.This is very pleasant for me to reunite myself (through your help) with lost research from the earthquakes here.Always appreciated.Shane in NZ

Does your Dad remember the man who use to make potato crisps in a sort of shed in a gennel off Cross Lane just opposite Truswell Avenue.