Crookes History

The church was called Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, and along with St Joseph's in Walkley, was a chapel of ease of St Vincent's Parish, serving the surrounding Catholic community. St Vincent's church was on Solly street in town. As numbers of parishioners living around St Vincent's dwindled the site of the tram sheds was bought and the new chuch built. It is true that it was a new building, but the churches did not combine as they were all the same parish, served by the same priests, and the same church community. The three church buildings were no longer needed so two of the three buildings were sold. Old St Vincent's is still there. The building is a skeleton of its former self.

I remember Jewitts bakery as I worked there on a Saturday. It was on the corner of Marston Road, where the Admiral Fish and chip shop is now.

Does anyone remember Thomas's bakery on the corner of Wesley Lane?

I remember Thomas's bakery and their wonderful Hot Cross Buns, and Vanillas

The Bakers name was Mr Duncan.

You're just a couple of years older than me then

It seems likely. I was wondering where the annexe is or was. I seem to remember something about a church, but may be wrong. I wonder if there's ever been a school reunion.

does anyone know if the tram mules/horses were stabled on mulehouse road? or is there another explanation for the name?

There were actually three Co-op stores. The one near Kandy Kabin survived until fairly recently as the Co-op funeral directors, another is now the horse and rider shop, but there was also the drapery shop at the top of Marston Road, now an Italian eatery - the Co-op logo is still there if you look. It was a wierd shop, I never ever saw ony one go in.

The first supermarket was "Finefare"

My mum who is 81 worked at the first supermarket called maypole about where Santander building society is now. Very small.

does anyone know if the tram mules/horses were stabled on mulehouse road? or is there another explanation for the name?

Mulehouse Road was called Mulehouse Lane on an 1853 map, it was the only aternative route to Crosspool via Cross Lane exept for Lydgate Lane at that time, and Slinn's farm was opposite the bottom of Mulehouse at that time also, but there was a farm there as far back as 1790, and others that grew produce in the area that used Mulehouse Lane as a major transport route, so I guess that's how it got it's name.

The original walkway to Crosspool still runs from the top of Tasker Rd to Cross Lane [crossing Salsbury Rd], the other part used to cross the fields where Forres Ave now is, and around the edge of a quarry, that later became a rope works, to Crosspool.

"Crookes" - on the previous page to this hillsbro has provided a jpeg of the addressees on Crookes for 1972. Harold Hitchborne is shown as 239. The owners of 249, the Bole Hill chippie are recorded as M & E Haines. This is about eight years after 'my' Bole Hill footie days but it may be the same people? I think in the 90's it was a Greek who took it on?

Here goes my one and only, mega-obscure connection with Crookes. When I was a young lad doing City and Guilds at an ancient education facility near Kelham Island (circa 1967) I met a lad there with similar interests to my own ie motorbikes. His name was Tony Haines, he rode a Triumph with upswept bars, he wore a pudding-basin helmet and smoked a cigarette whilst riding. He said his parents ran a chip shop at Crookes and we went there once or twice on our bikes to sample the wares.

The above quote seems to be the only reference in this entire thread. So where are you Tony? You will be knocking 60 now. Does anyone remember you because no one seems to remember your folks!

Mulehouse Road was called Mulehouse Lane on an 1853 map, it was the only aternative route to Crosspool via Cross Lane exept for Lydgate Lane at that time, and Slinn's farm was opposite the bottom of Mulehouse at that time also, but there was a farm there as far back as 1790, and others that grew produce in the area that used Mulehouse Lane as a major transport route, so I guess that's how it got it's name.

The original walkway to Crosspool still runs from the top of Tasker Rd to Cross Lane [crossing Salsbury Rd], the other part used to cross the fields where Forres Ave now is, and around the edge of a quarry, that later became a rope works, to Crosspool.

ah, not what I'd assumed at all then, thank you for the comprehensive reply :)

Looked through the thread no one has mentioned Cannes music shop on Crookes or the Flower shop /Pet shop which was near Kandy cabin. Stiil a double fronted flower shop now. He used to have rabbits, birds in the back and I am sure he had a pet Monkey.

My mum who is 81 worked at the first supermarket called maypole about where Santander building society is now. Very small.

I would not class the Maypole as a supermarket, it was not self-service but a good old-fashioned shop. Marble counters, big brass scales, butter cut fron the block... ummm.

Looked through the thread no one has mentioned Cannes music shop on Crookes or the Flower shop /Pet shop which was near Kandy cabin. Stiil a double fronted flower shop now. He used to have rabbits, birds in the back and I am sure he had a pet Monkey.

Don't think there was a Canns. There was a music/record shop in the newer block past Bolehill Lane. Curtis, I believe was the name.

Edited by Elmambo

Here goes my one and only, mega-obscure connection with Crookes. When I was a young lad doing City and Guilds at an ancient education facility near Kelham Island (circa 1967) I met a lad there with similar interests to my own ie motorbikes. His name was Tony Haines, he rode a Triumph with upswept bars, he wore a pudding-basin helmet and smoked a cigarette whilst riding. He said his parents ran a chip shop at Crookes and we went there once or twice on our bikes to sample the wares.

The above quote seems to be the only reference in this entire thread. So where are you Tony? You will be knocking 60 now. Does anyone remember you because no one seems to remember your folks!

Did he have ginger hair? Knew a Tony Haynes (different spelling), he will be about 62/63.

I would not class the Maypole as a supermarket, it was not self-service but a good old-fashioned shop. Marble counters, big brass scales, butter cut fron the block... ummm.

Definitely was a self service shop latterly!