Crookes History

In the late 40's, Dr Irwin was our doctor, but I can't remember where his surgery was nowadays, I remember him buying a Standard Vanguard when they came out.

Opposite Crookes Endowed School was a post office on the corner, where tram conducters took their takings after the end of their shift, when the driver dropped them off, we would jump on the back of the tram and get a free ride to the tram sheds.

We also got empty beer bottles from the neighbours & returned them for either a penny or threepence each at the Ball Inn, we would get enough to go to the local pictures & have an ice cream each, then we'd go and get a bag of chips for free from the chippy across from the pictures where my mother worked. it was owned by a Canadian couple called Strawsons at that time.

There wasn't many cars around in my day, so the milkman & coalman delivered with a horse and cart, needless to say the neighbours were always around to get the horse droppings for their gardens.

I lived on Tasker Rd, it was still cobblestones until the council put tar over them around 1950 ? when I visited in 1990, I was surprised to see the old street with cars parked on either side of the road.

Every Sunday evening there was a lantern sevice at a hall on the right hand side of School Rd, afterwards we got free tea and biscuits, kids in my day were never in any danger of anything, not like kids of today.

Every bonfire night, there was a big bonfire on some spare land between Brick St & Carson Rd, those were the good old days.

In the late 40's, Dr Irwin was our doctor, but I can't remember where his surgery was nowadays, I remember him buying a Standard Vanguard when they came out.

Opposite Crookes Endowed School was a post office on the corner, where tram conducters took their takings after the end of their shift, when the driver dropped them off, we would jump on the back of the tram and get a free ride to the tram sheds.

We also got empty beer bottles from the neighbours & returned them for either a penny or threepence each at the Ball Inn, we would get enough to go to the local pictures & have an ice cream each, then we'd go and get a bag of chips for free from the chippy across from the pictures where my mother worked. it was owned by a Canadian couple called Strawsons at that time.

There wasn't many cars around in my day, so the milkman & coalman delivered with a horse and cart, needless to say the neighbours were always around to get the horse droppings for their gardens.

I lived on Tasker Rd, it was still cobblestones until the council put tar over them around 1950 ? when I visited in 1990, I was surprised to see the old street with cars parked on either side of the road.

Every Sunday evening there was a lantern sevice at a hall on the right hand side of School Rd, afterwards we got free tea and biscuits, kids in my day were never in any danger of anything, not like kids of today.

Every bonfire night, there was a big bonfire on some spare land between Brick St & Carson Rd, those were the good old days.

Dr Irwin's surgery was the one referred to by DUDEY, at the corner of School Road/Leamington Street which would have had an even number - opposite what was once, Jewitt's Bakery.

At Irwin's time, the doctor practising at the top of Conduit Road, in what is now Crookes Practice, was Dr. Greenwood and a later doctor at that surgery was Simon Barley, whose son Matthew, is a world famous cellist.

Jewitt's Bakery.

Goodness, that's a blast from the past, didn't they have a shop on the main road in Crookes at sometime ?

Jewitt's Bakery.

Goodness, that's a blast from the past, didn't they have a shop on the main road in Crookes at sometime ?

Yes, I think they used to share it with Fletchers but not sure what's there now?

Bread and dripping was never better than on a Jewett's loaf, bought at the back door of the bakehouse!

Not sure what year this surgery was converted into flats but after Dr.Irwin and before it ceased, there was another doctor who practised there called Dr. Hayes - whom I believe later succumbed to an alcohol-related illness.

Do you recall that name?

anyone remember dr flynn? his surgery was on crookes (main road). anyone remember the candy cabin?

(oh wants to know he is called andrew jenkinson)

The Candy Cabin was quite near to Dr.Flynn's surgery on Crookes and I recall was owned by a proprietor called Beech. I think Flynn had a reciprocal locum arrangement with Dr. Greenwood from the aforementioned practice at 203 School Road. Also nearby was the once S&E Co-operative.

Is that "Jenks" asking you to do his "scout" work?

I remember Jenks.. Is he still with us? He seemed old when I was a kid but maybe he wasnt that old.

I remember Jenks.. Is he still with us? He seemed old when I was a kid but maybe he wasnt that old.

I think so. I have spoken with him on Crookes within the past year and he was fine. For those not "in" on this character, he was the scoutmaster at Crookes Congs Scouts - was it 144 Group?

Not sure because I wasnt in the scouts .. we used to hang around the hall with some girls :D

Dr Irwin's surgery was the one referred to by DUDEY, at the corner of School Road/Leamington Street which would have had an even number - opposite what was once, Jewitt's Bakery.

At Irwin's time, the doctor practising at the top of Conduit Road, in what is now Crookes Practice, was Dr. Greenwood and a later doctor at that surgery was Simon Barley, whose son Matthew, is a world famous cellist.

Hi Chairboy

Dr. Irwin brought me into the world 59 years and 11 months ago.

My Mum thought the world of him. Although I don't know why!

I used to know Robert Slack whose family owned Jewitt's I think

Regards

Geoff

Hi Chairboy

Dr. Irwin brought me into the world 59 years and 11 months ago.

My Mum thought the world of him. Although I don't know why!

I used to know Robert Slack whose family owned Jewitt's I think

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff - They say the best are from The Jessop!:D

Robert Slack - a very enthusiastic and able golfer?