Crookes History

I was living on Bute Street in the 1960's and there was a gas explosion in a house on the corner of Bute Street and Elgin Street. it blew out most of the windows on Bute Street. Apparently, the lady of the house, left the gass ring on, whilst boiling an egg for breakfast!

Did not hear about the gas explosion. I was doing my National Service in the RAF at that time.

The street where my outlaws lived was Nairn Street.

Edited by Peter Tottle

I don't think that your inlaws were responsible... but I could be wrong.

Edited by mick58ward

On 24/10/2016 at 20:27, annedavison said:

Thanks for reply,where did you live in Sheffield? Have just read 1959 Kelly's Directory Truswell Avenue,amazing

I remember Anthony Crane from Lydgate Lane School

Hello honestlove65

I have only just joined the forum I was looking for some information about Crookes and I saw your post.

I know it is  old but did you find the information you needed about Barbara and Margaret? My family knew them well.   If you still want information I can tell you lots.

On 25/06/2011 at 20:30, honestlove65 said:

Hello i wonder if anyone can help me find margaret bown and she has a sister called barbra one of them married a man called ray who worked as a driver for sheffield corporation buses and he was a sheffield wednesday supporter. Their father was called frank and mother was violet. Be grateful for any help thanks :) as my brother in law tony newby is trying to find them . Thank you :)

Have only just joined and saw your post - I know it's old but do you still want info on Barbara Margaret and Ray? My family knew them well.

On 24/04/2015 at 17:39, andy59 said:

We lived on heavy gate road from 1960 to 1966. We owned the newsagents at the bottom of Bradley Street. In that block of houses between bottom of Bradley street and top of Matlock Road there was our shop, a hairdressers,a chip shop, a bakers and an electrical repair shop and across the road from us a grocers.

Hi I know this is an old post but I have only just joined. When you say the bottom of Bradley st do you mean across the road or actually on the corner of Bradley st? And was there an off-license called Cauldwells? Thanks

Does anyone know what happened to the missing houses at the bottom of Freedom Road, they seem to go up to number 21 and then there’s a space until number 46. What happened to the ones in between? I think they were there in the 70’s/80’s. 

All the old terraces (King James, Burnaby, Creswick etc.) in lower Walkley, were cleared in the late 60's.  All Freedom Road was due to come down in 72/3, but the the Walkley Action Group, managed to stop further demolition (by 73) and instead the houses

were given home improvement grants to bring them up to a modern standard.  This may explain the missing houses.

1950s/60s.

Does anyone remember the Lollipop Shop on Heavygate Road, the grocers at the top of Greenhow St, Mrs Ward's grocers and Mr and Mrs Broomhead's greengrocers on Slinn St, Cauldwell's off license at the bottom of Bradley St? Also the Blood Transfusion service on Northfield road - they kept goats in the field behind our house and had a bonfire party there on Guy Fawkes.  This is now Northfield Close.

Yes do remember the off licence that we called Coldwells but I suspect you named it correctly, and again now that you have mentioned it I do recall the goats in the field around the blood transfusion building, would also add the two general store cum sweet shops on Springvale Road that we used to visit occasionally on the way to Western Rd school.

On 08/08/2020 at 19:35, peteh1 said:

Yes do remember the off licence that we called Coldwells but I suspect you named it correctly, and again now that you have mentioned it I do recall the goats in the field around the blood transfusion building, would also add the two general store cum sweet shops on Springvale Road that we used to visit occasionally on the way to Western Rd school.

One of those sweetshops was at the end of Melbourne Road. We used to walk up Springvale Rd sometimes from St Joseph's school Walkley and some girls from Western Road School would lie in wait for us and bully us by not letting us pass them!!