Crookes History

iI'm sure I read a link somewhere between Crookes and Ruth Ellis, the last woman hanged in England. (1955)

I seem to recall that David Blakeney, the ex-lover she killed in london was the son of a doctor who had a practice, for a time, in the Crookes area.

PT

There used to be one across the road, opposite the bottom of Bute Street, called the Original Grindstone, the landlord of which was called Vernon Hookway. That was demolished when those Council flats now standing, were built.

And the Original Grindstone was opened after the Grindstone ......

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/oldoriggrindstone.htm

my oh lived on pickmere road then moved to toftwood road

lived in crookes area. brighton terrace road and pickmere road in the 1950.s.remember dr.blakeney. he had a surgery in a large old houe at the corner of school road and i think harcourt road - could be wrong with this road.remember ru nning down at about 11.00 pm when i was 14 for him to come and see my brother who had had an epileptic fit.inthoe days we didn.t know much about them and the dr came out and saw to my brother.he was very helpful.i remember he had a son david who was the lover of ruth ellis.believe ehe was a racing driver.

lived in crookes area. brighton terrace road and pickmere road in the 1950.s.remember dr.blakeney. he had a surgery in a large old houe at the corner of school road and i think harcourt road - could be wrong with this road.remember ru nning down at about 11.00 pm when i was 14 for him to come and see my brother who had had an epileptic fit.inthoe days we didn.t know much about them and the dr came out and saw to my brother.he was very helpful.i remember he had a son david who was the lover of ruth ellis.believe ehe was a racing driver.

hi was mushroom lane and western park in crookes

hi was mushroom lane and western park in crookes

Weston Park and Mushroom Lane are both a fair way from Crookes. I would say they would be more Crookesmoor/Crookes Valley as in the adjacent park.

And the Original Grindstone was opened after the Grindstone ......

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/oldoriggrindstone.htm

I have a distant relative whose family were the landlords of the Grindstone Inn and later moved to "Pearl Villas" which became their family home. She always thought that the house had been used/occupied by pearl button producers.

I was born when my parents lived on Toyne Street but, we moved away when I was 3 as my father spent too much time in the pub opposite!

Duffems

The doctor's name was BLAKELY.

See the article on Chris Hobbs' site:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/johnblakely.htm

The house, which is still a doctors' surgery, is on the corner of School Road and Conduit Road.

Hugh

The doctor's name was BLAKELY.

See the article on Chris Hobbs' site:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/johnblakely.htm

The house, which is still a doctors' surgery, is on the corner of School Road and Conduit Road.

Hugh

No it isnt .. the house that was Dr Blakelys surgery was the big detatched house on the corner of School Road/Lemington street .. its now been converted into Flats. :)

iI'm sure I read a link somewhere between Crookes and Ruth Ellis, the last woman hanged in England. (1955)

I seem to recall that David Blakeney, the ex-lover she killed in london was the son of a doctor who had a practice, for a time, in the Crookes area.

PT

That's right P.T it was the crookes practice mentioned earlier in the thread. Seems to be a bit of an unlucky building. Dr's murdering pregnant lovers and the like.

No it isnt .. the house that was Dr Blakelys surgery was the big detatched house on the corner of School Road/Lemington street .. its now been converted into Flats. :)

I'm not subscribing to this because the odd numbers on School Road are on the left-hand side going up and so 203 can't be the one you suggest for that reason.

Maybe the numbers wrong then :D .. I was always told it was the big detached house growing up as a kid, maybe the locals were wrong it was just what I was told growing up in the area :)