Crookes History

Was that the Little Star shop ? Can't remember what was there.

yes its was clothes wool and stuff :)

I lived on Pickmere Road for 28 years, and my parents still do (on the non-church side). The tram sheds were used by the council for storing tractors, JCBs etc back in the 70s/80s.

There was a very interesting book on the history of Crookes released a few years ago, I don't know if it's still available.

I was brought up on Pickmere rd, met my ex-hubby via the tram sheds when the tractors came in to fuel up. Was gutted when they knocked it down.:loopy:

---------- Post added 18-06-2013 at 13:18 ----------

My mum worked in Bottom Co-op Shop for years, I used to break boxes up in back of shop for a bar of chocolate.....was prob about 12 at the time:P

I was having a virtual tour of Crookes on google maps street view the other day, it looks like they are building on what was the playground of my old school [Crookes Endowed] is it new offices for the church ?

I also looked on Tasker Road and saw that the bitumen has worn away showing the old cobblestones that were the original surface when I lived on there in the 40's, they may have been bumpy in there day, but they have lasted longer than the crap they put down and keep re-newing nowadays.

I was having a virtual tour of Crookes on google maps street view the other day, it looks like they are building on what was the playground of my old school [Crookes Endowed] is it new offices for the church ?

I also looked on Tasker Road and saw that the bitumen has worn away showing the old cobblestones that were the original surface when I lived on there in the 40's, they may have been bumpy in there day, but they have lasted longer than the crap they put down and keep re-newing nowadays.

I used to live on Tasker Rd, Num. 23. From around 1957 to mid 60s.

Yes St Thomas' has had another extension to it's buildings. Looks better now it's up than in the plans.

My Grandparents lived at 12 Crookes until it was knocked down

That's the one hillsbro (Mountain's) - checked it out and it was two doors away from the Sheffield Savings Bank which later became the TSB ahead of moving to Hillsborough at Lloyds. The shop looked down Springvale Road.

The shop was owned by Monty Mountain in early 1970s Do you remember Harlequin cafe next door to the barbers at the corner of Bolehill Lane. Ted and Beatie ran it and were famous for their bacon and tomato baps.

Also Joes cafe with a fish and chip shop attatched. where Jaflong was until they recently moved.

Also Joes cafe with a fish and chip shop attatched. where Jaflong was until they recently moved.

I remember Big Joe's fish & chip shop(just) at the bottom of Loxley View Rd.

The Wikipedia article says:

"Good sources for pictorial histories of Crookes are ‘Crookes: a history of a Sheffield Village', 1982, [Crookes Residents’ Association] and 'Crookes Revisted', 1989, [Crookes Local History Group]."

I have a copy of the latter, and it was a good read. Learnt lots from it. Not least, if there is an Old Grindstone, then where is the New Grindstone? :)

I have a copy of Crookes revisited has anyone got the first Crookes book from1982 to sell I am interested in purchasing there is a copy one bay but it is in Australia

---------- Post added 11-07-2014 at 16:58 ----------

An old directory shows "Louis Ballin, draper" on the corner of Crookes and Sackville Road, but in the 1950s there was also an "H. Ballin" who had a draper's shop on Langsett Road, somewhere near Jack Lee's herbalist/sarsparilla shop - must have been a relative.

I have had a shop in Crookes 42 years when i came in 1972 the shop at the corner of sackville Road was Fox Electricals Balins was further along the road towards Toyne Street.

I have a copy of Crookes revisited has anyone got the first Crookes book from1982 to sell I am interested in purchasing there is a copy one bay but it is in Australia

---------- Post added 11-07-2014 at 16:58 ----------

I have had a shop in Crookes 42 years when i came in 1972 the shop at the corner of sackville Road was Fox Electricals Balins was further along the road towards Toyne Street.

In 72, that would be Morris Ballin, the son. The shop was next to the cinema, his parents lived behind it until their demise.

Tasker Road as most local side streets have been resurfaced and relit since the photos were taken.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

only just in Crookes I think, but anyone remember Deakins chippy on heavygate road. The longest time ever waitedto buy fish and chips. Also anyone remember chadd upholstery and the tiny fruit and veg shop on Heavygate road just past the top of highton street. There was also an off license at the top of greenhowe street (Buckmasters had it i think). I lived on heavygate estate from 1965 to 1981.